MW6600x Specs?

Does anyone have the specs on the MW6600x driver? Can't find it anywhere on the forum.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    Short answer, no.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Do your think MW6501 is a near equivalent? I only have one bad 6600x but if i buy the 6501, I'll get two - one for each speaker. This way at least they will be balanced. I know it may be sacrilege, but what do you think of a new aftermarket replacement that has close to the same specs as a 6501?
  • I'd say you could try contacting Polk CS but it sounds like the customer service is totally disfunctional?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    The 6501 will be fine. Most speakers that used the mw6600 later in life used the mw6501.
  • Thanks for the responses. I called Polk CS. The rep I talked to said that they had no replacement for the 6600x and I should call Midwest Speaker.
  • There are several 6501s list in various online sites but everyone has a high DCR. The sellers were kind enough to post a picture of the VOM and driver showing the DCR. The spec is 7.75 ohms. All were over significantly over 8, one was 16. Why would the measured DCR be high? Can’t be good. I would think that a bad DCR would be 0 (shorted) or infinite (burned open).
  • A higher DCR will probably change the crossover point.
  • I'm trying to imagine what could cause the DCR of a driver to go up over time. It must be some kind of degradation either of the voice coil or the flexible leads that go from the tabs to the voice coil. You def don't want to purchase those ones though.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • pitdogg2
    I have several of both the MW6600 and MW6501 I'll take some readings and post tonight.
  • pitdogg2
    edited February 2020
    bmnsmbuz8p3t.jpg
    o3nu3yblzq4e.jpg
    okmkxat4u827.jpg
    3c32s6a3coo0.jpg
    mc8hw9528uly.jpg
    vs323643xcxc.jpg
    n46wsew7obcr.jpg

All bounced between 7.4 and 7.7 I captured the pictures best I could. I'm a firm believer that these two drivers are interchangeable. My SDA1 signatures came with mw6600 in all spots except mw6501 in the dimensional spot. The schematics show either all mw6600 or all mw6501. The only change I found on the cross over was they removed the fuses and used polyswitch instead on later model SDA1a.

Like I said I have several of these drivers, I tested 4 mw6600 and 2 mw6501.
  • Thanks for looking into this. Glad yours are ok. Strange that several listings online were well over their rated 7.75 ohms. Fortunately, four 6501 appeared on eBay this morning. The seller checked the resistance and all were within spec. I picked up two.

Excuse my ignorance, but which driver are you referring to as “dimensional”? The driver that rolls off at 2kHz? I want to make sure I have both 6501 in the same position.
  • pitdogg2
    Which speaker are you putting these in?