KLH Albany Temp setup.

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,056
Ok,
So one of the amps went bad in my Mythos ST tower( Def Tech) and it was a volume control issue that I had to remove the amp and send it to Def Tech to repair.
In the meantime I decided to put up my KLH Albany Bookies I have laying around and use them with my Powerfield 15 Def Tech free standing sub. I usually just use the Mythos ST towers for both duties but since one is broken and getting repaired I figured I'd fool around with the KLH bookies.
Wire wise I removed my Rocket 44's and put in the Rocket 33's. I hated how it hung in the back so I removed them , grabbed some Audioquest 14-4 and built a quick custom Bi wire and run them through the stands. I lost the wire management back panels so I had to use long zip ties to hold the wire from the speaker to the hold in the bottom. It's a cleaner look.
I also moved them against the wall for an even cleaner look and an experiment , they are not ported they are a sealed design and since they are in small 80hz, I don't hear any issues with them being so close to the wall and imaging didn't fall apart as they have a crazy good image and wide. Funny how KLH comes back and just knocks it out of the part for a nice entry level speaker. I makes me wonder what the rest of the line is like. Anyone fool around with them? Anyway......
Since I got them about a year or 2 ago I only used them for many a few hours so they are really not even broken in. I'm getting some hours on them now and I'm finding them to be damn good speaker especially for a $500 bookshelf speaker. I have them setup in Small 80hz and allowing the Sub to lift the bottom end.
For music I gotta say they are nice and easy to listen to. Smooth clear clean and full sounding. If you run them in large they do not go as low as the specs say they do. I'd say the absolutely sound their best running small and cut off at 80hz. I tried 60hz and that works as well but I much prefer the output of the subwoofer lifting those frequencies. Rooms will vary and placement will dictate the actual crossover point you would use but for my crappy shaped for audio room this works.
For movies I'm surprised how I don't notice them being different then the rest of my Mythos package. I have a 5.1.2 Atmos setup and now in the first time in my life I have a Frankenstein setup with 3 different brands getting it done. What's crazy is If I factory default my AVR ( Sony 5000es) You can tell the timbre difference between the 3 brands. They are not wildly different but they all seems closer to a flat response then a super colored tuned speaker, all of them. When I run room correction and use a Flat response for my curve, I can barely tell any of the speakers are different models. That's impressive as the Sony's software does a damn good job. For decades I feared having different brand anything anywhere except the Sub in a surround system especially for SACD or DVD AUDIO. Even Concerts I never wanted anything to call attention to itself. Movies ok I still feel the same was as years ago this level of tuning was not possible. If you used a different brand speaker in a position even the surrounds, you could tell pretty easy they where different. Being in the industry as a Custom Installer I have had to use different brand speakers for different duties due to construction of the room , wife importance of visual effect of the decor, Decorators the list is vast with the amount of reasons to mix and match. BUT today I feel much more comfortable mixing it up. Especially if the design and response patterns are similar. You can get away with it.I don't think it's good enough o throw in a Klipsch horn in the mix and expect software to fix that difference but when you have direct firing speakers with close to flat response it's much easier to get away with it.

My In ceiling speakers are made by Eposide which are a Custom Install brand from a company called Snap AV. They make remarkable sounding speakers where never before did off brands sound so damn good. I purchased them for Atmos Duty and I figured if they didn't play nice or sounded out of place I could just convert them into back ground music House system speakers re run the wires to the basement Whole House head end and be done with them. But they where the first speaker I tried in my own room that where a different brand and the reason for that was construction design of my high ceiling and how one side is on a 45 Degree angle. After calibration they blended in with my Mythos system and I was happy. Now that my Mythos ST tower is down blending in the KLH Albany bookshelf speakers is a pleasure. I thought I'm screwed and it's gonna sound like **** and I'm gonna get mad blow out everything and start over. Yeah well that hasn't happened yet( Strongly still considering many options ) and after watching GodZilla King of Monsters last night in Atmos UHD Blu ray on my Oppo 203, I'm so impressed with my sound. Never EVER would I EVER consider using a different center channel then the main Channels. Thats like going against everything you grew up with Religion and throwing it out. Nervous and scared your life would be and lost down a path that has no meaning. Well fine folks I'm worry free and enjoying my thrown together temporary system and I'm in no hurry to get the ST's back in place. I actually after repair proabably either going to retire them to the basement stock pile or sell them to someone who wants them. They are discontinued so the only way to buy them now is used. Incredible speakers to say the least. Music and movies they have been the ONLY pair of speakers that I felt I owned that did both extremely well. I always owned speakers that did one or the other great and not so great on the other.rx7lew1acu3m.jpg
1m1w1z53b03o.jpg
i5lkdt479wy4.jpg

Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Dan,

Some constructive criticism here...

When I open a post and see a wall of unformatted text like this, I automatically skip reading it, look for some pictures and move on.

Using line breaks and paragraphs will help this immensely.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Dan,

When I open a post and see a wall of unformatted text like this, I automatically skip reading it, look for some pictures and move on.

fwiw, I tend to agree. You clearly have knowledge and experience, and I think you would get more interaction with a bit clearer presentation.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    I heard the klh at Axpona. The floor and bookshelf both sounded good for the money.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • mantis
    Options
    They are surprisingly good sounding little speakers.
    Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Dan,

Sorry man, I never been one for Grammar.

Dan