Velodyne Optimum 8 Subwoofer

machone
machone Posts: 1,471
edited January 2020 in Speakers
My system is sounding its best ever so I wanted to share the latest.

I added a Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer to the mix (thanks Jesse) and the results are outstanding.

an4a33ac7kkr.jpg

But not without time and effort to get it right. The day I got the subwoofer my Mojo Audio I3 power supply crashed. I had to wait until I got it back before I could really set up the system because it really makes quite an improvement over wall warts.

I could not get the subwoofer integrated like I wanted so I switched to the high level speaker inputs and this helped.

I watched a PS Audio video on a trick to help find the best subwoofer location. Basically put the subwoofer in the listening position, crank the system and walk around to find the best sound and mark the spot. Then move the subwoofer to the spot. I did this and it worked!

I have always wanted more bass response in this room. Moving the 2.3TLs back towards the wall does produce more bass but imaging is better with the them moved further away from the wall. With the addition of the subwoofer I can now move the 2.3TLs futher away from the wall and still get great bass.

The bass and the imaging are better than ever!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Next, I am upgrading the Velodyne power cord and spiking its cabinet.

Last, do you guys have any suggestions for the high level speaker cable from the amp to the Velodyne? Currently I am using lampcord :o

Thanks B)

Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    The same brand/type you use for the speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• machone
    Got it
    Thanks Jesse
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• F1nut
    edited January 2020
    Well, that's what I do hence my suggestion. B)

Nice set up.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• machone
    Thanks Jesse,

I built the power cord last night and now I need to adjust the subwoofer settings again.......
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Interesting project @machone! I like the method in which you were able to locate the optimum (no pun intended) location for the sub.

Interesting pic, as the passives on the Polk's certainly overshadow the sub. I've read a lot of comments about adding a sub to the big Polk speaker setup. Please share your impressions as to how they improved the overall performance of the system.

FYI, I too have thought about adding a sub to my SRS setup! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • machone
    Verb,
    In my room it makes a huge difference.

The extreme bottom is reinforced by the subwoofer giving the system a true full range.

The ability to move the main speakers away from the wall without losing bass has enhanced imaging.

In my setup you cannot tell there is a sub in the room. However, now that I upgraded the power cord the room is a little bass heavy and I will need to readjust the sub settings.

B)
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    10 ft power cord for subwoofer. VH Audio Flavor 4.

wgje8f8eiavr.jpg
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    Speaker-level input cables completed.

6ipj00rvfw9n.jpg
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    How far from the back wall are the speakers with the sub?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • machone
    11 inches from the back to the wall.
    This puts the front at 24 inches off the wall. I only moved them once to this position and plan to experiment more.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    I have mine 9.5 inches from the back wall, just happens to be the distance to be even with the front of my stand. Bass is good but plan to experiment further. I have a sub ordered for the HT rig and will experiment with that in the 2 channel to see if a sub should be there too.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • machone
    Yep, the front of my stand 22 inches off the wall.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• F1nut
    My 2 cents on this speakers/rack distance matter. Unless you have some huge solid unit (think armoire) there's no need to have your speakers in front of the plane of an open air rack.

President of Club Polk

• machone

F1nut wrote: »
    My 2 cents on this speakers/rack distance matter. Unless you have some huge solid unit (think armoire) there's no need to have your speakers in front of the plane of an open air rack.

My experience may have nothing to do with the rack location. All I can say is they are much better in this room moved further from the wall. It has also helped correct an image that has always been shifted slightly to the left.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4