Re-purposing a car subwoofer

This won't fit in my car...thought about selling it but any thoughts on using the dual 12 inch woofers for another project? Open baffle speakers? jo6ebkw9bjfi.jpg
3bto4g02s1y5.jpg

SDA SRS 1.2TL's
SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp

Comments

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    Good luck to you and perhaps you'll have better luck than me. In my case I pulled a pair of 12'' car subs out of a dumpster a few years back and gave them a shot at home. They did not work out at all and produced one note bass just like they do in the cars with fuzzy dice, low profile tires and a rattling license plate. But they did sell on craigs for a profit when I mentioned how they "bump".
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Dang them things are ugly lolol!

It would take some fanagling but you could repurpose them. Doubtful it would be worth it though.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • LOL. The silver plastic in front of the driver is not attached, just for looks, albeit terrible at that. Looking through the holes in the top shows that the magnets on the drivers are huge.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Do those propellers spin for greater exhaust gas bass energy velocity?
    I think I did something with a car audio speaker once for a home use system years and years ago, but it wasn't anything serious, and was just open air, iirc. I don't recall any meaningfully desirable result. On the other hand, maybe we connected a small box with 6x9s to a cheap home stereo receiver... can't remember. We wouldn't have known any different/better at the time.

I guess if you were serious about this, you'd want to pull the driver spec to see what it's capable of and go from there. I suspect not much in the way of refined bass performance for 2ch use, if that's the idea.
    They did not work out at all and produced one note bass
    Good note and performance characteristic to watch for.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Found some info on it...
    Dual 4th order bandpass system designed using two 4 ohm voice coil subwoofers which are internally wired in phase and mounted in a 2-chamber arrangement. This design permits the reproduction of low frequency audio signals (bass) with a significant reduction in distortion and high bass output once placed inside the vehicle.

Switchable Red/Blue LED Illumination
    Nickel Plated Push-In Terminal Block
    Quad Aero Port Design for Deeper Bass
    Dual 4th Order Bandpass Subwoofer System
    Computer Tuned Acoustic Chambers
    MDF Construction
    2 Chamber Design
    Low-Q Optimized Driver
    No Crossover Needed for Simple Installation
    Easy Add-on for Existing Systems
    Speaker Diameter 12"
    Impedance 8 Ohm
    RMS Output Power 400 W
    PMPO Output Power 1.20 kW

It has great bass output when I had it installed in a 96' Ford Taurus a few years ago.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Anything on frequency range?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Didn't find anything...still looking.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's