Prepare for the Sonos thing

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,032
If you have a Sonos system, check your email and your system. Coming may all your Legacy products will no longer be supported.
I know this seems like madness but if you stop and think about it Sonos units are basically just small computers and computers get out of date over time.
This is an annoyance but with the speed of todays technology this is just the world we live in.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,310
    Is this necessarily a bad thing? Does it mean they'll stop working?
    What kind of updates were Sonos devices seeing?

I *wish* some manufacturers would leave product alone after I buy it.
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,903
    We heard you. We did not get this right from the start. My apologies for that and I wanted to personally assure you of the path forward:

First, rest assured that come May, when we end new software updates for our legacy products, they will continue to work just as they do today. We are not bricking them, we are not forcing them into obsolescence, and we are not taking anything away. Many of you have invested heavily in your Sonos systems, and we intend to honor that investment for as long as possible. While legacy Sonos products won’t get new software features, we pledge to keep them updated with bug fixes and security patches for as long as possible. If we run into something core to the experience that can’t be addressed, we’ll work to offer an alternative solution and let you know about any changes you’ll see in your experience.

Secondly, we heard you on the issue of legacy products and modern products not being able to coexist in your home. We are working on a way to split your system so that modern products work together and get the latest features, while legacy products work together and remain in their current state. We’re finalizing details on this plan and will share more in the coming weeks.

While we have a lot of great products and features in the pipeline, we want our customers to upgrade to our latest and greatest products when they’re excited by what the new products offer, not because they feel forced to do so. That’s the intent of the trade up program we launched for our loyal customers.

Thank you for being a Sonos customer. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I hope that you’ll forgive our misstep, and let us earn back your trust. Without you, Sonos wouldn't exist and we’ll work harder than ever to earn your loyalty every single day.

If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.
    Sincerely,
    Patrick
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,927
    This little imbroglio's turned into a tempest in a teapot. :|
    Ironically, it is the anti-"green"-ness of Sonos' attempted gambit that may draw the most scorn from the youngsters who represent their market going forward (as all the old audio nerds die off, you know?)

B)

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    This really only impacts you if you are vested into the whole Sonos techno-sphere.

I use my 3 Sonos devices as Roon endpoints. So they are little more than a playback device. No worries about software as Roon is the gatekeeper anyway and Sonos is merely a slave in that environment.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    If you think about tech as a whole, they have gone further than most when it comes to backwards support. At some point, the old cannot hold the new back. I am fortunate to only have two devices affected by this, but it would not stop me from investing with Sonos in the future. Great company with fantastic communication and support.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I have 9 Sonos units and only 1 new one. My entire system will have to be upgraded. My system is old and probably should be upgraded anyway. This is my whole house system running off multiple amps with ZP90's and Connects and I have 1 Sonos Connect amp and a Sonos Amp the new one.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • msg
    If it comes down to it, you could switch over to LMS, and build a bunch of Squeeze Players using Raspberry Pi's and HiFiBerry DACs or their Digi boards to output to your own DAC.

The Squeeze community is still going pretty strong, with support for Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, local audio files and a bunch of other services.
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    I don't have to say it, do I?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    You wish you'd gotten in on this sooner to enjoy all this digital before it started becoming problematic?
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    F1nut wrote: »

you just did.

B)
  • joecoulson
    Say it, I’m too dumb for innuendos
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    edited January 2020
    F1nut wrote: »
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Say it, I’m too dumb for innuendos

Physical media bla bla bla. o:)
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • joecoulson
    Ah. Dino-talk. Got it. Love ya Jesse.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    I have very old reports on 5.25" floppy discs. They will never be retrieved for viewing again. Nor would I want to see them. :) P.S. Still thinking over this Windows 7 thing, not all boxes are on 10 yet.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Wires rule, no software or firmware updates required.... EVER!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    I have very old reports on 5.25" floppy discs. They will never be retrieved for viewing again. Nor would I want to see them. :) P.S. Still thinking over this Windows 7 thing, not all boxes are on 10 yet.

Got an Epson 286 PC here that's rarin' to go if you ever need anything transcribed. Just sayin'. :#
  • aprazer402
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    aprazer402 wrote: »

Got an Epson 286 PC here that's rarin' to go if you ever need anything transcribed. Just sayin'. :#

Of anyone here, I'd believe you would have one! Thanks for the offer though. Do you have a dot matrix printer?😃
  • mhardy6647
    You know... I'm not sure! I had an LX-80 for a long, long time, but I think I gave it away. We used an hp DeskJet500 for years and years; the rubber bits finally wore down to the point that it wouldn't feed paper reliably, so, regretfully, we ditched it. ;)

Actually, the weirdest 'pute here is an old Radio Shack "PC Clone" with the Intel 80186 processor. That one's an oddity.
  • aprazer402
    I had an early DeskJet 560. It was slow, but extremely reliable and well built. Back when HP was really on their game. I still use their monochrome lasers daily.
    3mxmr6xrg1n3.jpg
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited January 2020
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Actually, the weirdest 'pute here is an old Radio Shack "PC Clone" with the Intel 80186 processor. That one's an oddity.

If I remember correctly, that was my first PC. I bought it in 85/86 while working on getting my CSC degree. I ran some terminal emulation program to connect to the school’s mainframe from home. That made school much, much easier by being able to work from home.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • joecoulson
    Ah the days of dial in BBS connections.
    I wasn’t on the DOS side of things, but did have the C64 and 128 and used to frequent the BBS’s that were available late 80’s in my stomping ground.
    Good times. Early internet.