Power needed for Polk Audio LSI 15

Options
Hi all. First time poster, not sure if this is where to post. I'm hoping you can help me. I picked up a pair of LSI 15 speakers. While they sound great, I feel like they have more to offer based on reviews of these speakers. I'm currently powering them with an Adcom GFA-5300 amp (125 watts per channel @ 4ohm). I know these speakers are power hungry. Do you think getting a more powerful amp (~300 watt) would truly make these sing? I'm going to play around with the speaker placement, and I also have a Mitsubishi DA-C20 tuner/preamp (just FYI). Any thoughts are appreciated!

Comments

• Deltadon
    Deltadon Posts: 94
    edited January 2020
    Options
    cdm418 wrote: »
    Hi all. First time poster, not sure if this is where to post. I'm hoping you can help me. I picked up a pair of LSI 15 speakers. While they sound great, I feel like they have more to offer based on reviews of these speakers. I'm currently powering them with an Adcom GFA-5300 amp (125 watts per channel @ 4ohm). I know these speakers are power hungry. Do you think getting a more powerful amp (~300 watt) would truly make these sing? I'm going to play around with the speaker placement, and I also have a Mitsubishi DA-C20 tuner/preamp (just FYI). Any thoughts are appreciated!

First welcome to this forum. The short answer is yes.
    Your Adcom is a good amp, but you can do better like the Adcom 5802 which pairs nicely with the LSI15 speakers from my experience. Finding one in good condition for a reasonable price may be difficult though.

From ebay: https://www.ebay.com/p/66787188

Adcom GFA-5802 2 Channel Power Amplifier

Product Information
    The beat never stops with the Adcom GFA-5802 amplifier. This device delivers when it comes to highlighting every sound, note, and rhythm with a high-quality product that offers 105 dB signal. Lowered distortion means smoother, richer sound, and 300 watts of power per channel creates a symphony of sound whether you play your favorite songs or turn on a movie. Slick, sleek, and stylish, the device looks right at home in your media room. Equipped with LEDs that notify you during thermal overload, the amp is user-friendly and features a detachable power cord. A high-end unit that breathes new life into your music and movies, the Adcom amp is a welcome addition to any audiophile‘s sound system.

Details
    Number of L/R RCA Inputs: 2
    Number of Digital RCA Inputs: 2
    Audio Outputs: Banana Speaker Jacks
    Audio Inputs: XLR, Stereo L/R RCA
    Type: Power Amplifier
    Number of Channels: 2

Dimensions
    Weight: 48lb.
    Width : 17in.
    Height: 14in.
    Depth: 8in.

Additional Product Features
    RMS Power Per Channel: 8ohm, 300W
    Thd (Total Harmonic Distortion): 0.02 %
    Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz
    Audio SNR: 105dB
    RMS Power Per Channel: 4ohm, 450W
    Bridgeable: Bridgeable

There are other amps that would work well. Just ensure the amp is high current, 4 ohm capable with at least 200 - 300 wpc. The more the better up to your budget.
    Note that you can run the risk of actually damaging your speakers running a low powered amp with a low impedance speaker, so be careful with that.

I'm sure other members will offer their advice based on their experience. Also you can search this forum such as "'Amp for LSI15" and you will find numerous posts worth reading on this subject.
    Post edited by Deltadon on
  • cdm418
    cdm418 Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, Much appreciated! To clarify, do you think I'm running the risk of damaging my speakers with my current AMP (GFA-5300)?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    cdm418 wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, Much appreciated! To clarify, do you think I'm running the risk of damaging my speakers with my current AMP (GFA-5300)?

If you crank it up, yes, you could blow a tweeter, and those are expensive and I am not sure if polk still carries them...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • cdm418
    cdm418 Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! Anyone familiar with NAD 2700 Amp? I have a lead for one locally. Would this be a good match for my Lsi 15's? I'm also running a Mitsubishi DA-C20 tuner/preamp

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/nad/2700-thx.shtml

thanks in advance!