NHT VT-2

halo71
halo71 Posts: 4,567
Anyone have experience with this model?? Impressions?

vt2-4.jpg
--Gary--
Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.

Comments

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    No but they look very nice.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I have not but have heard a couple of side firing woofers in main speakers before. They are hard to place and dial in on the lower registers if you are in a "real world" situation. IE, limited on space, have furniture or walls nearby.

They need room, lots of it, to sing right. IME

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2020
    Not those but the 2.5i's.
    I think the sound is soft in the highs but detailed just the same. I remember liking them.
    I think they sounded like the Polk RD0-194's sound signature.

It's been a few years but I still have them. Here are some reviews of mine. Sorry it's not your model.
    http://www.audioreview.com/product/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/nht/2-5i.html

The one you're looking at;
    http://www.audioreview.com/product/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/nht/vt-2.html
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • halo71
    treitz3 wrote: »
    They need room, lots of it, to sing right. IME

Tom

That's not a problem for me. My den is16x24 with vaulted ceiling.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • halo71
    Going to go have a listen this friday.
    --Gary--
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    I LOVED them in the showroom and would stop by the shop to hear them and talk to a friend of mine who worked there. I just didn't have the coin at the time to actually pull the trigger. I remember I liked them best with Marantz electronics of the time.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Tony M
    edited January 2020
    waiting...
    I hope they sounded great and you got them for pennies on the dollar.

I remembered I did hear a speaker of that series I believe. It was a speaker that had L,C,R on them. A center and surround speakers. I think they were like 450.00 a piece msrp. Now their sound was JUST RIGHT! My old friend Paul bought 3 of them for around 100.00 from a Pawn shop MANY years ago. :D
    Post edited by Tony M on
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    I had a pair of NHT 2.5 that I really liked. Unfortunately, I did not realize just how much I liked them until after I sold them to a good friend who was building his first system.

I spent several years waiting for another pair to come up local to me, and ended up settling for a 2.5i pair a couple years ago. They are almost as good as the 2.5. Almost.

I recently had a friend over to listen to a few different speakers in the newly finished basement. Believe it or not, we both were split between the Kappa 9 and the NHT 2.5i. We listened to, from right: SDA SRS 1.2, Infinity Kappa 9, Legacy Focus 20/20, Klipsch RF7, Polk LS70, NHT 2.5i, and Carver ALIII.

I’m not saying the NHT is better than the rest, but on that night, in that room, and with that equipment.... yea.

e2tfnfq8p27c.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Tony M
    That's quite a shoot-out! B)
    I wish I was there!

I think my NHTs are just like yours.

I heard some other newer NHT towers in a Pawn shop years ago and the shop ALWAYS had them playing. The sound was soft but detailed too. The bass was tight and musical.

The shop wanted 280.00 I believe for the pr. and I didn't have that much at the time.
    I wonder if they still have them?
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Nice collection @daddyjt wow! Is that a McCormack amp I see over there? :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    verb wrote: »
    Nice collection @daddyjt wow! Is that a McCormack amp I see over there? :smile:

Indeed it is a McCormack - it’s the DNA 225. It’s my go-to when I want to compare or evaluate anything in my system because if it’s neutrality.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• halo71
    I went for a listen. And ended up bringing them home. Crazy cheap price! I'm really liking them so far. They don't best my Thiel CS2.3's.
    --Gary--
  • Tony M
    Congrats. ;):pB)

Have the NHTs been sitting unused for very long?
  • treitz3
    ....and if you live up North, have they had a chance to thaw out yet?

It be cold man!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • halo71
    Tony M wrote: »
    Congrats. ;):pB)

Have the NHTs been sitting unused for very long?

The previous owner said he bought them around 2005 from a warehouse closeout. Never even unboxed them until last year to have a listen. Said he had 3.9's at the time and was happy with them. Later he got into Klipsch Cornwall's and LaScala's. And just needed to get rid of these for more room. $200 later they are in my den. And they are dead mint. Not a scratch anywhere I can find.
    --Gary--
  • halo71
    treitz3 wrote: »
    ....and if you live up North, have they had a chance to thaw out yet?

It be cold man!

Tom

Pretty chilly down here in Georgia this morning!

--Gary--
  • treitz3
    I bet. 25 degrees outside right now. Sounds like you will need to break these in a bit.

I do have to mention this, seeing as how they have been in storage for so long. I have no idea where I read this or whether it's even true or not but I do remember reading that if a speaker has been in storage unused for extremely long periods of time that it was wise to take out the woofers and rotate them 180 degrees. FWIW.

Tom
  • halo71
    Tom, Probably wouldn't hurt. I kinda hate to mess with them right now really. And I've heard the same thing before.
    --Gary--
  • Tony M
    I need to bring my NHT's back out front! ;):p
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Bump
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    NHT has made some very under appreciated speakers over the years.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Bump
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • halo71
    Must say, really really liking these speakers. Probably better than my stock 1C's.
    --Gary--