Opinions on Halcro

Options
nooshinjohn
nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
edited January 2020 in Electronics
I am looking at getting better amplification for my surround speakers and am leaning towards this beast...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Halcro-Logic-MC50-5-Channel-Power-Amplifier-MC-50/223714195741?hash=item341667b91d:g:uwMAAOSwJfFdrKg9

yf2wryav4eyp.jpg

I like the look of it, and it closely matches the output of my Carver tube amps... has anybody heard a Halcro amp before? I have not , but they do seem to get good reviews. Thanks for any input.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Never heard of it John. What are you wanting to upgrade from? I know a lot of people have some seriously nice surround systems so I can't really relate as my TV room is only 12x14 but IMHO surround amplification quality is not as noticeable as front mains and center. Those are truly critical. If it's the Pioneer you're running I'd think that would be pretty sweet as is for the surround. Just my 2 cents worth. Don't beat me up....
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    The original Halcro company put out the DM58 mono blocks in the late '90's, which were proclaimed by some as the world's best amplifiers. They eventually went out of business.

0vk6fn2djd88.jpeg

The Halcro name was revived many years later by some of the original folks, but it's a different company for sure.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    check out the ayre v6xe power amp. up to six channels at 150 watts and doubles into 4 ohm loads. i have one configured for two channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov7UcJau5TU
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    I did not know the original iteration of the company failed Jesse. The amp I am looking at gears back to 2005. Do you know if that would be the first or second round?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    have the caps been replaced, if not you will have to get it done and any other parts that might need to be replaced due to age.
    another question would be are some parts still available?

although the ayre is discontinued it is much more recent but also more expensive.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156