Ken Ishiwata has passed, RIP

Options
F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,805
edited December 2019 in The Clubhouse
His incredible talent and passion for music will be missed.

https://www.whathifi.com/us/news/ken-ishiwata-legendary-hi-fi-figure-dies-aged-72
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• Derm
    Derm Posts: 95
    Options
    RIP Ken.
    A legendary figure for sure whose lifelong work was very impressive.
    I think he is an example of loving what you do and never working a day in your life.
    Speakers
    Front - LsiM707, Front presence - LsiM703, Future ATMOS - VS 700LS
    Center - LsiM706c, Rear surrounds - 80 F/X LS, VS 900LS. Sub - (pair) Klipsch R-12SW
    AVR - Yamaha RX-A3010
    AMP - NAD C275BEE
    Main HT - LG 4K 75”, Sony UBXP800M2
    Bedroom HT - LG 55" 4K, Philips BDP7501 4K UHD player , Yamaha SRT-1500 sound projector, Spare room HT LG 50” plasma, Yamaha BD-671
    Office - Pioneer X-CM56, Bose iPod dock
    In Storage - 4 - RTiA9, RtiA3, CSiA6, FXiA4, Blackstone TL1

The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Very sad news, he will be missed.
    <3:'(<3
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Wow, very surprising news. I've actually been exchanging emails with Ken every other month or so over the course of the past year. I had meant to reply in a few days to the last one he sent me on October 24th but now I never can. He was telling me about some interesting things he was involved with and some speakers he was helping to demo at an upcoming show in November.

It mentions in the What HiFi article that he was battling an illness, that's unfortunate. May you rest in peace, Ken.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    Options
    Dang!

RIP Ken
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Great designer with quite a following - will be missed.

Wonder who gets the jacket..
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Embedding this here, definitely worth watching his acceptance speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16d1WuS3oxo
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    oh, man, that is sad news! Perhaps that is why he severed his ties with Marantz when he did (i.e., he knew his time was short)?
    Besides being extremely talented and interesting (in the manner of hifi personalities of times past, e.g., Jim Bongiorno and maybe even Col. Paul W. Klipsch), he was, by all accounts, a good fellow.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    he severed his ties with Marantz

I think you have that reversed.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Wow, very surprising news. I've actually been exchanging emails with Ken every other month or so over the course of the past year. I had meant to reply in a few days to the last one he sent me on October 24th but now I never can. He was telling me about some interesting things he was involved with and some speakers he was helping to demo at an upcoming show in November.

It mentions in the What HiFi article that he was battling an illness, that's unfortunate. May you rest in peace, Ken.

Wow that is sad news. Drew wasn't he the inspiration behind the Ruby SACD player?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options

It’s a testament to what an upstanding man he was that he never publicly called out Marantz for letting him go. Have to wonder if they did it because of age.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited December 2019
    Options

Fair enough.
    Let us say "ties were severed", as I don't know the backstory.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Very sad news. RIP
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Clipdat
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Fired up my Ruby today for the first time since Ken's death. RIP.

op24g2r5c9as.jpg
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    I hope it sounded glorious. ;)

His spirit lives on!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    I was listening to the PM-14S1 and SA-KI Ruby pairing and thinking about Ken the other day.

I came across this very well written article about his life and contributions to audio, I enjoyed the read so I figured I'd share it here: https://www.stereonet.co.uk/features/inside-track-in-memoriam-ken-ishiwata
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^ :'(
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.