Any Plumber's? Hot Water Heater Question!

Options
2»

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Recirculating pumps are awesome for long runs but they are best if you insulate the hot line going to the far spigot. There are basically two ways to do it. One is have a pump on your HWH and have sensor valves attached to the farthest sink.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-Hot-Water-Recirculating-System-with-Built-In-Timer-0955800/100426993

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-Hot-Water-Recirculating-System-Sensor-Valve-Kit-Sensor-Valve-Kit/100493462

This way if you have multiple bathrooms a long ways from the HWH you can put a sensor valve in each room. The other is to have one under the kitchen sink (or any sink that has an outlet next to it) that is a pump and sensor all in one like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AquaMotion-One-AMH3K-R-Hot-Water-Recirculation-Kit/254007743514?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=40719&meid=ad1f0fd56225489cbe433764b6533512&pid=100675&rk=4&rkt=15&mehot=none&sd=223714195741&itm=254007743514&pmt=1&noa=1&pg=2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:96c6817a-3a8e-11ea-b277-74dbd1802106|parentrq:bcbc7fa016f0aa48c3e265d0fffaad04|iid:1

With the ladder the pump only runs when the temp drops and it's recirculating and you can program it to only run at certain times. The previous version is probably best for large homes with multiple bathrooms with long runs.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Thank you sir! I was looking to most likely get the Watts kit. Easy installation too! :smile:

The long runs in the house are all insulated too. Helped a little bit.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Well 7 1/2 years in and the A.O. Smith is leaking guess they dont make them last anymore. I'm guessing the replacement wont be a A.O. Smith. S.O.A.B.
    Post edited by gudnoyez on
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • charley96
    charley96 Posts: 306
    Options
    They're mostly all crap nowadays. Just get a cheap Menard's one and maintain it cause I doubt there's anything better. Total crap shoot on those.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    One thing I noticed when I bought a new water heater last year is there are models with a 5 or 7 year warranty and models with up to a 12 year warranty. The main difference I noticed was the models with a longer warranty have two sacrificial anode rods in them instead of one. Apart from that they looked about the same.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    When i bought my last water heater I purchased from a plumbing supply house.

The biggest difference is everything seemed to be just slightly nicer. The drain at the bottom was brass versus plastic, longer warranty, just little things here and there that showed higher quality.

Has performed well so far 3 years in. I drain it once a year and flush it as well
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    I had my 5 year one for 23 years. I flushed it annually. Not once did it ever failed me. Only replaced it because I wanted an on demand system.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Longer warranty= better bigger (usually) burner, two anodes, brass drain and usually better insulation.
    You can get more years out of one by changing the anodes every few yrs depending on water type. Eventually if you have a gas one the burner is going to burn through the bottom. I've never had an electric one so I can't speak to those I don't think I will ever have one.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    Knock on wood first.......I'm at 12 years here now on mine which is by far the most I've ever gotten. I've also never flushed this tank and there's no doubt in my mind that flushing was shortening my tank's life by 2/3s.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    edited August 2022
    Options
    My 12 yr Rheem Performance Platinum only has one anode unfortunately. Also has a plastic drain valve but I plan on flushing it once a year and I'll swap the brass one that I removed from the old Rheem, which lasted 20 yrs with only one flushing that I know of and no anode replacement. Very hard water here too. The plumber friend up the street I talked to said he was of the belief that the tanks were the same regardless of warranty. I made sure I installed it with the proper dielectric unions and a catch basin underneath so that any future seepage leaks can be directed by hose to the sump pump until replacement. I had to order a short one which not all places have in stock, because of the low plumbing above that I didn't want to have to redo. Also, installed a 2 gal expansion tank which I didn't have which may help with longevity (hoping).
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    Options
    I have never flushed my HWH, nor have I pulled the anode, lived here for 22 years, and have replaced the HWH one time, its a Rheem, this one is 8 years old from HD. I would never replace parts on a HWH, I would just replace the unit..
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I have never flushed my HWH, nor have I pulled the anode, lived here for 22 years, and have replaced the HWH one time, its a Rheem, this one is 8 years old from HD. I would never replace parts on a HWH, I would just replace the unit..

Same here. At least for a gas water heater. I just replace the whole unit every ten years or so and check for water in the pan once in a while. Other than that the only time I touch the heater is to turn it down low when I travel and then shut off the water in the house.