Any Plumber's? Hot Water Heater Question!

So finished watching a movie last night around 11 pm it was over the wife briefly goes into the laundry room says there is water on the floor come to find out the hot water heater is leaking it was late turned of the water going to it shut the pilot off and the gas off to it clean up mess. I a buddy who can get me a new one a little over cost the choices are 40 gallons natural gas the brands to choose from is Ao Smith or Bradford White he told me the 6 year warranty ones are pretty much the same as the 10 year warranty ones the only difference is the model # and the price difference is the cost of the extended warranty.

He can help me install it tomorrow evening or should I say he will install it with me helping which will cost a rib dinner and a few beers. He says Ao Smith is the better choice than the Bradford White the old one was a Menards cheap 30 gallon one but it lasted 21 years, but with the deal for a name brand one I will settle for one of the two mentioned. I ask your opinions plumbers which one Should I get Ao Smith or Bradford White?
Home Theater
Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)

Comments

• trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056
    I used to sell both brands. We took back less warranty parts on the AO smith than we did Bradford White.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Toss up... I had an AO smith that lasted 17 years and then I sold the house.... BW is very good too.... Take a look at efficiency tho. AO Smith has some that are very efficient and can save you a lot over the long haul... Also have you considered a Tankless HW heater? If you don;t have kids they can be VERY efficient and save LOTS of money over the long haul... Most conventional plumbers will tell you bad things b/c they last forever and they don't put their kids thru college.... Sizing is very important.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    I'd probably go with A O Smith, of the 2. I've seen a lot of them that lasted 15+ years.

Draw back of tankless heaters is during power outages. They can freeze up, and not all plumbers can/will work on them. Had a freeze a few years back, and the plumbers where I work we're repairing them for weeks.

Again, not all plumbers can/will repair them
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I've seen a LOT of boards go on Bradfords. With that said, I know virtually nothing on the Smith.

The masses have spoken. Smith
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Neither brand is familiar to me, but I find little difference in gas hot water heaters anyway. Thing is, don't undersize it. 30 gallons wouldn't be nearly enough for me and 40 gallons was on the light side too. I bought a 50 gallon and never looked back.

They are easy as pie to install too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Is your water heater located in your laundry room or above it in the attic? Obviously, those in the attic are more of a pain to r&r. I have a A.O. Smith 40 gallon going on it's 14th year, although I did_ have to replace the thermocouple 2 years ago. Doubt any__ of the new models of water heaters now out there last over 15 years. Just don't make them like they used to.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I guess my question is, if your water is already hot, then why do you need to heat it? "hot water heater"

o:)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    AO
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Yeah, your lucky to get 8 years out of a newer HWH. 10 years and you've won the lottery. A lot also depends on the hardness of your water. Plus it's a good idea to flush them out every 6 months or so, kinda like you do with the radiator on your car. Gets all that rust and corrosion out.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Also a good idea to install a tray/pan underneath the new HWH with a drain hose to your sump if possible
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone. They have V bulletin forum's on HVAC discussions, a bunch of guys talking about thier passions which is hot water heaters who would of thought. The 3 best major contractor preferences are Ruud, AO Smith, and Bradford White.

One of the guys who everyone says to ask his opinion says any of those 3 would be good choices with the AO his choice he compared them to cars such as Cadillac, Lincoln, and Lexus so I'm getting the Cadillac which he refers to as the AO Smith. It seems most of you recommend that one also so AO it is. I can't fit a 50 gallon in the space it's going due to the width so have to stick to the 40 gallon.

Thanks again everyone for helping me make up my mind don't think the wife can live more than a day without hot water, she left to go to the daughters to shower I can shower at work, now that she's gone I can crank the tunes. I now can go to the HVAC forum hang out and ask a bunch of newb questions.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited January 2015
    Go with the AO, you can possibly save some gfuture headache by running an inline to one or two of your high demand items, and a smaller tank style for the house. Constant supply to shower or whatever, no wait for hot water, and you don't have yto pay to operate a big tank for a shower.

I happen to be a plumber and UT(hvac/r tech) in the navy seabees, and been working in or around construction my whole life.
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Bought a Whirlpool 40 gallon from Lowes in 2011. It's one of the worst on the market,I've had to warranty nearly every part. Good luck!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    So why are you heating hot water? ;):D
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    charley95 wrote: »
    Bought a Whirlpool 40 gallon from Lowes in 2011. It's one of the worst on the market,I've had to warranty nearly every part.

Plumbers always tell my to buy all my plumbing stuff at a plumbing supply house. There is a difference, and the extra money is worth it
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    The job is done got the AO Smith my buddy is an ex plumber but works at a plumbing supply store got it 10% over cost he bought it at his discount and I get to pay him next payday he saved me about a hundred with him buying it.

He came over after 5:00, I had already disconnected the old one and had it off to the side we carried the old one out, brought the new one in and because it was taller than the old one he had to cut the water lines going in and out added elbows to line them up because it was wider it was installed in an hour and is ready to go. I told him everyone here said to get the AO over the Bradford White and he said told ya. I owe him dinner and a few beers so thanks to all for the suggestions on my heater that makes water hot.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    rpf65 wrote: »
    charley95 wrote: »
    Bought a Whirlpool 40 gallon from Lowes in 2011. It's one of the worst on the market,I've had to warranty nearly every part.

Plumbers always tell my to buy all my plumbing stuff at a plumbing supply house. There is a difference, and the extra money is worth it

That will be my next route for sure when the Whirlpool dies soon. Just bought a Honda 2 stage snowblower and paid a lot more than your average brand snowblower. Got 28 yrs. out of the old MTD, that won't happen with MTD's of today.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    Aside from flushing the system twice a year, you'll want to change out the sacrificial anode every 5-7 years to get the longevity out of it.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    obieone wrote: »
    Aside from flushing the system twice a year, you'll want to change out the sacrificial anode every 5-7 years to get the longevity out of it.
    Is this relatively easy? I see this post is 5 years old lol but this caught my eye. Our heater is in our utility room and in the adjacent room to my audio room/office.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    You can always check for corrosion on the anode whenever you go to drain the water heater. If it's good, don't worry about it. If there is corrosion, replace it. After 10 years, it may be wise to simply replace the whole unit and bring it up to current code.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    edited January 2020
    Yes it is as long as the heater is fairly new. Once they get years on them and not drained in several there could be enough sediment to block the hose bib at the bottom. Best thing to do is shut incoming water supply off, turn heater itself off and then open all the hot water sides of your faucets, then just open the hose bib at the bottom. If nothing comes out then it is clogged. if it flows freely then let it drain and at the very end open the incoming water supply and that could flush out the rest. If it runs clean then shut bottom hose bib off and let fill until it comes out the faucet the farthest away from the heater. Then relight the heater.

Run a hose from bib to drain unless you have an unfinished basement and a drain near.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    Awesome....this gets added to "the list".....thank you
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Good luck getting the anode rod out if it hasn't been removed regularly. When I replaced my last water heater, I attempted to get the anode out of the old one just to have a look see. I twisted the bung out of the tank before I ever got it to break loose.
  • charley96
    charley96 Posts: 304
    Just drained mine today. Put in new this time last January and no sediment came out. I know there has to be some in it and I even flushed with more water from the shut off valve. I remember on my old one you had to stick a screwdriver into the bib to loosen the sediment to get water to come out of it. The old one was a Whirlpool and had a digital gas valve on it. I probably had warrantied 4 valves for it. This time I bought the cheapest Menard's with a mechanical valve.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Gotta love a thread from 2015 being brought back from the dead by an apparent spam bot lol.......
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    I was getting about 3-5 years out of my electric hot water heaters and I would flush them several times in the winter months. On a whim I stopped flushing several years ago and I'm at 10 years on my current one without ever having flushed it. A bit of sediment isn't a bad thing in my case as I was getting really good at swapping hot water heaters.
  • charley96
    charley96 Posts: 304
    10 years is pretty good by todays standards. My previous Whirlpool gas heater only last ed 8 years with annual flushes. A plumber I know says there really isn't good quality heaters anymore. He said just buy the cheapest and cross your fingers. They've gone up about a 100 bucks in price since I got the Whirlpool back in 2012.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    edited January 2020
    At least you caught it before it got bad. I replaced a 40 year old Ruud water heater last year. My plumber friend installed a 40 gallon State brand water heater, this is one of many brands made by A.O. Smith. Very nice heater. Plumber said don't expect it to last as long as the old Ruud. All are pretty similar anymore. Like tonyb said if you get 8-10 years... you're golden. EDIT: Yikes, I need to look at dates on these threads!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,969
    The best money I have spent recently was installing a mixing valve on my water heater. This allowed me to crank the tank to 140 and at a later state mix in cold water to make it 120. It makes it seem like unlimited hot water, haven't ran out of hot water since. Also don't have to play with the faucet for a shower as 120 is the perfect temp! Haha
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Been thinking about a recirculating pump. The water heater and master bathroom are on opposite sides of the house, and it takes minutes for the hot water to come through.

Anyone have experience with them?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.