Polk Signature S55 vs. What Other Models?

I am curious, for those who auditioned the S55/S60 and other brands, what else did you listen to? And what did people eventually go with? For reference, I am strongly considering the S55/S30 for the front stage in what is a mostly HT situation. But I am curious about some of the ID brands like Ascend and Emotiva. I already own a pair of S10s for the side surround and would be upgrading from Monitor 60/CS1.

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    In San Diego we really don't have any place to audition mid-fi speakers any more.

If you're doing mostly HT go with the S30 and S50, take the money save going to the S50 to put to a good HSU or SVS sub.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • GriffM
    GriffM Posts: 9
    Thanks! I already have an older Hsu sub that still works. At some point, I may look at going with 2 subs, but its not a priority at the moment. Upgrading the TV from a 2008 52" Sony LCD and upgrading the AVR are the priorities. But since I started the speaker upgrades on the rears, I figured I could finish off that job at a reasonable price.