Dodd owners sound off

2»

Comments

• MLP (in junk box). 66 yo

If you want to give it a new home and get it out of that junk pile, let me know

Been trying my damnedest to get it operational for several years. Gary had it for awhile before he got really sick, thought he'd fixed it, but power supply remained unstable and erratic. Tried to get a schematic - without success. Asked here for help with voltage readings at internal PS board - without success. Hence, "in junk box".

Would love to rework it into a battery powered pre, as I have no confidence in existing power supply/regulation circuit.
  • I have a theory on Gear Brands and age

Gonna' share that theory, George? ;)
  • I will,,nothing earth shattering,,let's give it till the weekend and see if anyone else chimes in regarding ownership,,I was kinda waiting on the RLP owners to speak up.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Yes, yes, yes....RLP owners please do show up!!!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Battery powered Unity gain preamp, 48
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    Gary Dodd modded Rogue 66 pre-amp. I sent it to Rogue to be made into the "Magnum" version, they called and asked me why I wanted to down-grade it. In my office rig along with a Marsh A200 amp I bought from someone on CP.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Hey George - the guy doing the slow drum roll fingers fell off. ;)
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    Stumbled on this thread so I had to comment.

Age 30. Proud owner of the very rare Dodd Reference Level Preamp. This thing is packed with value from the quality of the parts to the fantastic design. Paired with my Pass Aleph 30, it's pure magic :)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited May 2016
    It's nice to see you stick with some gear and finally get off that merry-go-round you were on. Of course many here will say 30wpc isn't enough.............I disagree, if it's the the "right" 30wpc.

What are you running for tubes these days?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    Nothing less than 200 wpc is acceptable.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    Brock, long time no talk man! Good to hear from you.

Yeah since the wife is full time with the kiddos, I don't have as much play money to throw around. If I did, I'd probably still be a sonic bachelor wanting to taste a little bit of everything. All business around here lately though.

I'm running your standard Chrome Dome Sylvania 6SN7GTB'S from the 1950's. I haven't rolled many 6SN7's into the Dodd yet. Hard to come by a quad set that looks good that isn't several hundred dollars. I'm really enjoying the sound from the Dodd as is but will eventually roll tubes (do I have an eBay tab open?!).

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited May 2016
    Hey Shane.

Sometimes it's nice to sit and enjoy what's already in front of you. Not as familiar with the 6SN7 family but I am with the 6SL7 and from what I've read they are similar across brands.

Sylvania "chrome domes" form 50's military are superb, one of my favorite 6SL7's. Also like the early Tung Sol's and Brimar's. RCA 5691 gets a nod as well, being very lush and velvety smooth. Sort of the opposite of Sylvania's, but just as enjoyable. SO I can recommend the RCA 5692. They are black plate, 3 mica w/extra support rods and reddish/maroon micanol base. They come labeled with various brands, but are all RCA or some say GE originated them.

Happy listening

H9
    Post edited by heiney9 on
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • treitz3
    If anyone has an RLP or an MLP they are looking to unload? Talk to me. I am in the market for one. Especially the MLP.

If anyone spots either one for sale in the next 3-4 years, please let me know immediately. Thanks gentlemen.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    treitz3 wrote: »
    If anyone has an RLP or an MLP they are looking to unload? Talk to me. I am in the market for one. Especially the MLP.

If anyone spots either one for sale in the next 3-4 years, please let me know immediately. Thanks gentlemen.

Tom

Mr. Tom,

Go here and check out this for sale thread that's current...

https://superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/fs-gary-dodd-battery-powered-pre-amp-and-15w-amp.8693/

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

Tom

I will let you know,,right after I buy it!!:)
  • treitz3
    Oh, this is war G. War I tell you! I know where you are slated to get yours and I have to respect that but if you find one outside of that avenue, let's not outbid ourselves to where....well, you know. Merry Christmas George. Tell Janice I said hello!

Cool jazz, thanks. I appreciate your response. The two models I am looking at is the Mid Level Player (MLP) and the Reference Level Player (RLP). I am not interested in the battery powered ones. Thank you though!

Tom
  • Tom,,first of all Merry Christmas to you and family,, second,, if I find one you will be the first to know,, my pre amp buying days are over,, I am a beach bum!
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    That battery powered one appears to be a line stage buffer, I could be wrong but that’s what it appears to be.
  • treitz3
    edited December 2019
    Gary tried to convince me to get one (Battery Pre) and we went round and round on the attributes and deficiencies of both (In a very cordial manner but in an ungodly extreme depth) but at the end of the day, I did not want the hassle of a battery and IIRC, the tube choice would have also been changed. I did not want that if at all possible. We would go on and on into the wee hours of the night pretty often just BS'n about audio in general and the pre choices in my rig (along with possibly getting one of those behemoth tube amps he was designing at the time). He was just one awesome dude that was taken from us way too early. I miss my audio buddy.

Well that bites, George. You must have a pretty good one now (or two). You always did have great taste in pre's.

The day I saw that "Fred Flintstone" pre at Ted's set up in the LR with my CDP, cords and Trey's Tyler's. I forget who supplied the amp(s) but after hearing that system, I swore that one day, I would own a pre like that. I loved what I heard....being able to see BB King walk across the stage in front of us was a memory I will never forget.

Little did I know that one day, I would actually own that very same unit I heard at Ted's. I have built my entire system around that pre and have not achieved perfection (never will) but I sure have achieved excellence. I thank George Daniels profusely for the honor of being able to purchase that pre from him back in the day.

Tom
  • dromunds
    Tom, the battery preamp has advantages primarily very very quiet background. Gary did a variable gain battery preamp but he progressed to the selectable gain. The earlier models had internal batteries but the external battery is a much better design. My iteration was his latest and Gary told me that he made it for the 6H30 which he came to really like but I prefer the 7308’s. The battery is a bit of a hassle but not much and no worries about power supply problems. Gary told me the more he progressed the more he preferred simplicity. Was that just talk? Maybe who knows. I’ve put it up against some very expensive preamps and was always amazed. You know that already with the MLP. Buffers come up sometimes but preamps rarely. I’ve only seen one or two phono preamps since I got mine. I was really fortunate to acquire mine from Gary before he died it’s really special.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    I miss those Heathkit amps *sniff*......they were a great match for the Quads.

Still have a one off tube phono pre that Gary built...

I had the Dodd Battery pre.....solid piece but for whatever reason it just wasn't my thing.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • I remember listening to that rig for hours at PF at you house,, amazing setup!
  • dromunds
    I have those Heath monoblocks. I have a phono preamp from Gary as well.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    Tom,, what’s wrong with your MLP,, power supply ?
  • treitz3
    Yup. Something to do with a relay switching. Seems to have been a common issue. Mine was already repaired once by Gary.

Tom
  • george daniel
    Yup. Something to do with a relay switching. Seems to have been a common issue. Mine was already repaired once by Gary.

Tom

Have you considered calling Mark or Harry,, Mark did some upgrades to my Audible Illusions power supply at CF a few years ago and did an excellent job! Just my .02
  • treitz3
    It will be going down to Modular Electronics. They should be able to get it back up and running. I have already spoken with Benny and he is confident he can get it repaired.

Are you talking about Mark (Radioeng1)?

Tom
  • treitz3
    Sorry for the off topic post...Did you hear that Wayne King (Carverfest) passed away? I just found out. Apparently he went into Hospice on Dec. 17th and passed today.

kaes6yyai392.png

He is the one on the left. RIP brother...

Tom
  • george daniel
    RIP Wayne,, I knew he was in hospice. If Benny says he can fix it,,then he can,, he has worked on a few pieces of my gear without issue os schematics