When is isolation bad? When it overdamps.

Options
marvda1
marvda1 Posts: 4,873
edited January 2020 in 2 Channel Audio
Hear me out, Skip came by to drop something off for me to review. He made the comment that my system had become a little dead sounding. We tried changing cables, then dacs, then removing my homemade bass traps and sat there for a while and he asked me if I had isoacoustic isopucks under all my components. Of course yes was the answer, so we started by taking them out from under the Mastersound Compact 845. WOW! back comes dynamics, liveliness, larger sound stage. After he left I took the isopucks from under the transport and dac and I get better harmonics and musical texture.

I summed up what had happened was I put isopucks under one of my components with a positive result and then went crazy adding them to one component after another not noticing that I was sucking the life out of my system.

Morale, don't over damp your system, too much of a good thing can be bad and if you do it a little at a time you will not notice it.

It helped a lot that Skip had heard my system before I had the isopucks and later after I had added them to the system. Keep bringing in good ears, it takes a village :D
Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
Puritan PSM156

Comments

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,132
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    Keep bring in good ears, it takes a village :D
    Probably the best advice on the internet.

Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,340
    Options
    Danny did the same thing at LSAF. Not with isopucks but with room treatments. He was tearing down the room while still listening to the rig set up and he had mentioned that he didn't realize it until he was tearing it all down and heard the difference.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I did that in my HT with acoustic panels on the walls. After removing them from the side walls, and ceiling, but leaving them on the rear wall it was fine.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,187
    Options
    I think those "isopucks" can actually cause a vibration hump (vibration transmission boost) at their resonant frequencies. Above the resonant frequency the vibration transmission drops rapidly. That may be what improved your system when the pucks were removed.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • marvda1
    Options
    tube people listen, tubes are the same way, they degrade slowly over time and your ears adjust so you won't notice it until you replace with new tubes.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Did you leave them on the one component that you heard a difference on to begin with?
  • marvda1
    edited January 2020
    Options
    i think it started when i put the gaias on my speakers, that i liked so much i went full on buying isopucks putting them under the components.

they have the oreas now which are suppose to be better than the isopucks and designed for audio components but i'm not going to put out the cash to try them, gaias were expensive enough.
    Puritan PSM156
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Interesting
    So I have the bronze (lightest) ones under the G1 and did notice a subtle difference. But nothing that was dull sounding.
    The Gaia’s definitely made big steps on my setup.
    But the biggest difference by far was replacing my TT feet with the isopods. Much darker background.
    Synergy is everything I guess.
  • marvda1
    edited January 2020
    Options
    i had five under the mastersound and it made a big difference when we took them off.
    i didn't take them from under the transport and dac until after skip left. didn't make as big of a difference as the amp.
    dac and transport was more subtle i just noticed better harmonics and instrument textures.
    Puritan PSM156
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Marv, this kind of goes along with Robert's ( star sound ) theory's on his racks.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Options
    I had experienced a similar 'viola' moment with my Bryston BCD-3 CDP. I had Stillpoint Ultra 5s under it and felt a bit was missing. I replaced the Ultra 5s with Ultra minis and the dynamics returned.
    [