Ideas For Minimizing Microphonics

Options
So I've read microphonics are bad for tubes in a pre-amp. What are you all doing to prevent this? OR is it even necessary? Could this be one of those discussions like cables don't make any audible difference? Could some microphonics be a good thing?

I'll be installing my pre inside an open faced and backed oak cabinet between my speakers and it will have a low noise cooling fan below in the back behind the amps like this:
https://www.acinfinity.com/component-cooling/cabinet-fan-systems/airplate-s9-home-theater-and-av-cabinet-quiet-cooling-fan-system-18-inch/
Gustard X26 Pro DAC
Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options
    Personally microphonics of any sort is not something I want.

You get a new tube.

Ymmv
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,333
    Options
    Here is a good start for you...BTW, taming microphonics is not like the normal cable debates you see on some forums. It can make a small, almost negligable difference in the sound to a huge difference to the end result as to what hits your ears (and speakers).

https://herbiesaudiolab.com/pages/herbies-tube-damper-comparison

Here is another way to avoid them - https://www.stillpoints.us/index.php/product (just one company out of MANY that do this)

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    Thanks. That's what I thought. I'll see if I can get an exhange on it. What about isolating the pre? what do you use? I've read you can put closed cell foam under the feet.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • treitz3
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I don't even know what I use. I picked it up from an audio buddy of mine a very long time ago. Some kind of military isolation dohicky thingamabobber blah, blah, blah.

I'd be lying to you if I tried to remember what all it is made of and the science behind it.

Other ones I use for different application are Sorbothane risers with a felt padding underneath as to not damage what it sits on (Sorbothane will stain wood and some metals).

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    Options
    i use isoacoustics pucks $60 for two. they have mini pucks now so depending on the weight of your preamp you might be able to use them.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • audioluvr
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Thanks Marvin! Those are $48 ea. for the ones I need at Amazon and I need 4
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• treitz3
    Options
    Here is another way to do it. Many forum members have done this over the years, myself included.

https://www.morrowaudio.com/blogs/news/project-vibration-control

Tom
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    Options
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    If a tube is audibly microphonic probably I just replace it.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »

So much this.

But I will also play devil's advocate and throw out there that sometimes bad iron (transformers) can cause them too. A delaminating core on a traditional style transformer has been known to cause a buzz between those separated plates which can make its way into the signal path. Stupid big azz magnets.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • audioluvr
    edited January 2020
    Options

You mean by tapping on it? Or just in general because I'm not sure how to test one other than tapping on it. I don't hear anything out of the ordinary other than the time I put in the 12ax7's the PO gave me by mistake. Those had a noticeable hum.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,759
    Options
    I was experiencing some noise once with my tube preamp and realized it was my cell phone too close to the pre. Switched to airplane mode and all was good...phone was about 5' away at the time.

I don't have an explanation except for removing the phone or shutting it down was the solution.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    edited January 2020
    Options
    You can tell by other means than tapping on it. If it is bad enough it like a microphone it can pick up the sound in the room and feeds it back through the speakers. Some ring like churchbells very annoying.
  • treitz3
    Options
    From another thread....
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Tube rolling! Got a matched set of Sylvania tall black plate halo 12au7's with the Baldwin Logo on them today to match my Hallicrafters. I liked the sound of the Hallicrafters so much I bought these as a back up just in case something happened to these. I'm surprised there is even a difference in sound with identical tubes! These baldwins are a little more forward (?) and edgy or raspy or something. Haven't decided it I like that or not yet. Sounds great when listening to techno though. With the volume all the way down and tapping on the Hallicrafters they were virtually dead silent. One of the Baldwins gave out a good amount of tapping sound through the speaker so I may mark that one as noisy and see if I can find a quiet one.

Sounds like you may have a bad tube with the Baldwins.

Tom
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,186
    Options
    Whatever system you use for vibration isolation, it should have a resonant frequency that is about 1/3 or lower than the minimum vibrational frequency you expect to isolate the equipment from. I doubt that many viscoelastomeric products on the market achieve this for typical seismic vibrations encountered in people's houses. Springs, of sufficient length and proper spring constant are the way to go and that's the method used by Townsend Audio, although I'm entirely in the DIY camp due to my budget.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,186
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Another way to go is with a minimally inflated bicycle tube, between two acoustically dead marble tiles or such, with a hole drilled in one of the tiles (mandatory). If you add some roller bearings to this also, you have a pretty cheap and pretty damn functional isolation system. FWIW and I realize this gets you out of the eye candy and wife friendly realm lol
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options

You mean by tapping on it? Or just in general because I'm not sure how to test one other than tapping on it. I don't hear anything out of the ordinary other than the time I put in the 12ax7's the PO gave me by mistake. Those had a noticeable hum.

Sometimes you don't even have to tap the tube itself. I had one that if you tapped the shelf that the preamp was on you could hear the tap out the speakers. It would also give off a constant shhhh noise that you could hear from the listening position, not just with your ear right up to the tweeter.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    Some tube families are known for more microphonics and some for less microphonics. As far as 12AU7's equivalents, those 7316's that were discussed previously are an example, made for aircraft equipment and medical grade, they were made for low noise with rigid micas and tight specs. I have several brands of 5814's that I adore, also known for low microphonics. In the 6DJ8 family, I like the 7308's for this reason, among others. If a single tube goes microphonic on you, I would replace the pair if you can't find a closely matched single to replace the microphonic one.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    What every tube junkie should not be without! A tube tapper! :smile:
    gza819yywibl.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,045
    Options
    In all seriousness: my father's weapon of choice was always a long-ish, straight, uncolored (natural finish) Tinkertoy.

I am pretty sure he borrowed it away from me when I was very young... :|
    He used that sucka for decades -- come to think of it, I might have it downstairs with some of the stuff I do still have from his shop.

• verb
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    In all seriousness: my father's weapon of choice was always a long-ish, straight, uncolored (natural finish) Tinkertoy.

I am pretty sure he borrowed it away from me when I was very young... :|
    He used that sucka for decades -- come to think of it, I might have it downstairs with some of the stuff I do still have from his shop.

I’m sure it’s still at the @mhardy6647 household. :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • audioluvr
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    gza819yywibl.png

Dude! That looks like a rubber mallet! I took @Nightfall ' s advice and just tapped a knuckle on the faceplate while putting an ear near each speaker. This, of course, works for me because I only have one tube per channel. I'm thinking as long as the microphonic tube doesn't add any audible noise it should be fine?🤔
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,045
    edited January 2020
    Options
  • verb
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    gza819yywibl.png

Dude! That looks like a rubber mallet! I took @Nightfall ' s advice and just tapped a knuckle on the faceplate while putting an ear near each speaker. This, of course, works for me because I only have one tube per channel. I'm thinking as long as the microphonic tube doesn't add any audible noise it should be fine?🤔

Yep! A tiny one! The mallet ends look to be about 1/2" or less in diameter.