Surround Speaker Options

Munchster
Munchster Posts: 3
edited January 2020 in Speakers
Currently I own a pair of TSi200 and a CS10. I'm planning to use these as front speakers in a new place I'm moving to. We're doing a big of renovations so I'm thinking of getting wiring done for either 5.1 or 7.1.

For the back speakers, I'm thinking of wall mounting something. Would the OWM3s be a good match? I know these speakers are a little old, but the TSi100's is an option too. Only that if I wall mounted them, aesthetically it wouldn't look the greatest.

For the side speakers, I am considering in ceiling or ceiling mount, due to one side of the room being open and not having a wall. What's a good option speaker to use here with my setup? Should I use OWM3s or would the MC60/80 be a good match?

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Hello and welcome,

You should do a tad more research. If your getting pre-wire done look into 4 ceiling mounted speakers for ATMOS/DTSX. Use a good 14AWG or 12AWG wire. Monoprice is a good starting point. Stay away from any wire that says CCA on it.

I'd go with the TSi100 for rears and MC60 or V60 for ceiling speakers giving you a 5.1.4 setup. do a google for ATMOS speaker placement.

A good sub is a must for HT. Either HSU or SVS

What type of receiver are you going to use?

You can have a decent setup for about $2k if you shop around.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • I have a Denon AVR-S710W which can do 5.1.2. The room is 12'x20', with the tv on the 12' wall. Seating will be 4'-6' away from the back wall. From what I've researched 5.1.2/4 seems to be the preferred over 7.1, especially with my speaker placement constraints.

I would love to get the TSi100's, but aesthetics is a bit of a concern and their size is a bit too conspicuous for wall mounting in the back of the room. Which was why I considered the OWM3 as they are more subtle. Is the sound difference huge between the two?

• mrloren
    Munchster wrote: »
    I have a Denon AVR-S710W which can do 5.1.2. The room is 12'x20', with the tv on the 12' wall. Seating will be 4'-6' away from the back wall. From what I've researched 5.1.2/4 seems to be the preferred over 7.1, especially with my speaker placement constraints.

I would love to get the TSi100's, but aesthetics is a bit of a concern and their size is a bit too conspicuous for wall mounting in the back of the room. Which was why I considered the OWM3 as they are more subtle. Is the sound difference huge between the two?

I've never had a good listen to OWM speakers so I can't comment on them. Can you do in-wall speakers?
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I think for surround duty Atmos or Surround back all the choices you listed would be fine. In ceiling's would be ideal for Atmos.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mrloren wrote: »
    I have a Denon AVR-S710W which can do 5.1.2. The room is 12'x20', with the tv on the 12' wall. Seating will be 4'-6' away from the back wall. From what I've researched 5.1.2/4 seems to be the preferred over 7.1, especially with my speaker placement constraints.

I've never had a good listen to OWM speakers so I can't comment on them. Can you do in-wall speakers?

It's an exterior wall so if I were to do in wall (assuming the wall was deep enough) I'd have to remove or compress the insulation. I live in a place with cold winters so a little hesitant about doing that. How would the MC60 sound compared to the TSi100?
  • shs
    shs Posts: 105
    I am using the Polk Blackstone TL3 for Atmos duty as they have the same tweeter as my LSiM bed level speakers. They are very small and easy to install, but are also heavy and have reasonable bass for their small size and sound pretty good when properly crossed over.
    SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP 203, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Velodyne DD15 Subwoofer.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    The OWM3s sound really tiny with no bass and thin midrange. I wouldn't want to use them even for surrounds.

I often recommend these. I used them as surrounds in my first setup and for patio speakers for years. They have the perfect wedge shape with built in brackets to mount high and point at the listening position, and they have pretty decent bass and punch. They would work for all surrounds i think...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-White-Polk-Audio-Monitor-Series-2-M3-Speakers-8ohm-100W/233306888954?hash=item36522c9afa:g:t4sAAOSwlWFdSZZM:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!76712!US!-1
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mrloren
    mrloren wrote: »

It's an exterior wall so if I were to do in wall (assuming the wall was deep enough) I'd have to remove or compress the insulation. I live in a place with cold winters so a little hesitant about doing that. How would the MC60 sound compared to the TSi100?

Thing about a 5.1.2 ATMOS system or a good 5.1 is the surrounds should be around era level. Having a good separation between the ceiling speakers and surrounds improves the effects quality a lot. Me I'd go with the TSi100, you will get use to them on the wall.