"ASR" will be measuring speakers"

Options
mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 33,032
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/announcement-asr-will-be-measuring-speakers.10725/

oh, my... :)

Full Disclosure: Despite the frequent and rather snarky fun I've made of Amir & his site (and his followers)... I have slowly but surely been sucked in and, with no irony nor guile, recently became a member of their forum.

Realizing that all of this stuff is fun, attitude, and interpersonal dynamics, what the fu.. do I care how seriously - or unseriously - these folks take objective measurement as their endpoint?

This said, it will be fun and interesting to see what he does/they do with loudspeaker assessment.

I hope they "do" some models I've at least heard.

:)

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    If this is the "Amir" I know? He is as smart as they come plus some and then some more on top of that but as dumb as a F'n rock when it comes to human interaction and common sense.

I think I heard it best when someone (I have no idea whom to give credit for this) said something to the effect of this..

Not all things that can be measured can be heard and not all things heard can be measured.

This is a hands down sig quote for the ages and is spot on. This will be the case until the end of time.

That's all I have to say about that. I think I'll slide out now.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Yup, that's him.

Mark.....why man? I expected better of you...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    I remember "Amir" was "kicked" off one or two blogs because he could not take criticism from other posters.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,032
    Options
    It (ASR) is entertaining at many levels.

In terms of the age-old objective/subjective argument in hifi: I believe that HH Scott's long-time engineer Daniel Von Reklinghausen hit the nail on the head. I believe this quote originated in a Boston Audio Society interview but I don't have the original reference. This quote is from the moribund HH Scott vacuum tube era fanboy website:
    http://hhscott.com/vonrecklinghausen.htm
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, -- it is bad. If it sounds good and measures bad, -- you've measured the wrong thing."

It should be recalled that I have spent a career in biotechnology analytics figuring out what was important and how to measure and then quantify it in a robust and meaningful way. :)

It will be really interesting to see what he/they dig up on loudspeakers.
    Note that I am not saying that it will of necessity be useful.

B)
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    This website is easy to get drawn to as the constant conflict is amusing, but when you realize that the highest recommended gear actually hasn't even been tested by the reviewer with his ears, you move on and chock it up to entertainment and not credible.