Near perfect Cary-SLP-98 in Jaguar Red w/ "Silver" face plate ... STRIKING appearance

Functionally perfect

Cosmetically, near perfect. 8/10 by 'Gon stds. IMHO it's 9/10

I'll post pix tomorrow

I picked-up this sweet thing about 6 yrs ago from a Dr in OH and haven't looked back, until now . . .

It's time to move on. I'd keep her, if I had room. But what I'd like to do is up-my-game in another area

Although this stock pre sounded amazing, 5 yrs ago I decided to go the Upgrade Path and sent it to Cary for the HT by-pass, Hexfreds and direct coupled (I think that's the equivalent of the optional F1 upgrade)

NOTE: Cary CS can be hit or miss, depending. So my receipt shows the above EXCEPT the direct coupled caps. But they claim it's been done . . . Any who, Sounds Amazing

Prior to sending it in for the upgrades, I had a custom shipping box made.

Included is a Revelation Audio Labs Cryo-Silver Reference umbilical cord that makes a Big Diff

This pre responds very well to tube rolling, especially in the 2 front positions. But the other 2 positions are responsive as well
It takes 4 - 6SN7 tubes

The "silk screening" print still looks good. See pix forthcoming

Comes with 4 stock EH tubes, custom shipping box, original umbilical, RAL umbilical, original owners manual and my receipts from RAL and the Cary for the upgrades

Local pick-up is much preferred. Traveling an hour or so 1/2 way is doable

Theres a reason they call this SLP-98 a "Sweet Little Pre" . . . because it IS

My zip is 48098

Payment method is negotiable

Net $2,500 to me
AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
Pre Cary SLP-05
Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
Mains Salk HT2-TL
Rythmik F12

Comments

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,080
    ytcg1qwmhti8.jpg
    6g47f4tlsues.jpg
    h64n7fxa2pyh.jpg
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,137
    Did Joey make you happy? Just curious. GLWTS
  • GlennDog
    edited March 2019
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    Did Joey make you happy?

Not sure I wanna go there . . . lol

yeah, we were able to see eye-to-eye

the 05 is just like/SIMILAR to the 98, but on steroids. The 05 has on been on for 2 hrs now, and whilst warming up I heard distinct New Sounds from another room

Honestly, coupled with the Rogue tubed monos .. .. . MUCH too tooby, IMHO

Listenable, but can you say Northern Canadian Maple Syrup?
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    Jimmy Crickets . . . I may have to pull the trigger on the SS BAT VK-600 se

but cash may run out!!!!!!
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,421
    Droollll wish i was as flush with cash as I am with 6sn7 tubes :D
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Well Dog, in the short period of time I had with that sweet little pre, it was amazing! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    Very nice, anyone looking to up their game needs to get ears on this. The Jag. red is also stunning to look at . Good luck on the sale and I know the new owner will not be disappointed.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,492
    Glenn

I noticed you keep the balance knobs to the middle, per Cary the knobs turned all the way to the side to max puts them out of the circuit.

You may have noticed my 05 knobs were maxed.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • pitdogg2
    Are they gain knobs? I was a wondering
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 857
    Damn beautiful piece of gear, probably sounds even better
  • GlennDog
    edited March 2019
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I noticed you keep the balance knobs to the middle, per Cary the knobs turned all the way to the side to max puts them out of the circuit.

You may have noticed my 05 knobs were maxed.

Yeah, I tried it both ways . . . Removed from the circuit is better!

pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Are they gain knobs? I was a wondering

Yep, Gain control
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,137
    What tubes are you using in the slp? Just curious. I use a pass xa30.5 for ss with the o5 and it’s agreat combo
  • GlennDog
    edited March 2019
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    What tubes are you using in the slp? Just curious. I use a pass xa30.5 for ss with the o5 and it’s agreat combo

I bet IT IS!

I take it you're referring to the 05 and Not the one FS . . .

Tonight is the 3rd night in use. I started with all the stock EH to get a baseline. The plan was to do that for at least a week. But last night I notice a hum/noise coming from the left. There are 3 Left tubes to consider. I started with #1 and Bingo, humming noise vanished. So I installed another 1944 VT-231 in the #4 position. (labeled Ken Rad)

Plan is to clean the pins this weekend and also install a pair of 1942 Tung Sols in the #2 & #5 positions.
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    uafsi69r2n4u.jpeg
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pitdogg2
    those are stellar tubes and not remotely cheap

very nice
  • GlennDog
    Current prices are CRAZY

Koray wants $455 for a matched pair. I refuse!

See 1st listing

http://www.nostubestore.com/search/label/6SN7GT/6SN7WGT/5692/B65/VT-231
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    Hump-day bump
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,492
    Come on... someone buy this
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • GlennDog
    One missing descriptive item has been brought to my attention by a prospective buyer ...

This is a Line Stage preamp . . . oops

Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    At one point, the Dr I bought this from, compared the Cary 98 to the 05 . . .

The new factory tubes are fine (most like them a lot) but lack the richness & fullness of the NOS, especially with good source material and a quality system. The SLP98 with the NOS tubes sounds better than an SLP-05 with factory tubes and is also more musical (rich, full, texture). BTW, this SLP98 with the NOS tubes blew away my Audio Note M3 (w/galahad power supply!) in a side by side comparison. Dave

Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    Can't believe this is still here. Guys, suck this bad boy up, you won't regret a thing. Helps too she's a beauty to look at.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • verb
    Agree. I had this bad boy on loan for a while, and would have snagged it if not for the SLP-05. I can attest this thing is in mint condition. :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • GlennDog
    verb wrote: »
    I can attest, this thing is in mint condition. :smile:

She’s a looker, for sure!

My baby’s waiting patiently for a new audio home!

1st post offering HAS CHANGED . . . RAL umbilical is NOT included. Stock cable comes with the 98.

Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    Dog you still got this baby? I was wondering about it the other day. Nice piece here fellas. And ladies.
  • GlennDog
    edited January 2020
    Haven’t been terribly motivated 😴😴

plus, I really like it.
    But she needs a new home. Just sitting on a shelf is no way to end up
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,189
    Couple of questions...

What type of umbilical cord does it require? You are not the only one I have heard that swears by them but in looking at the unit pictured above, their is no separate power supply.

Does it come with a remote control? (Deal breaker if it does not)

Would you rather have your Backhart pre in the rig or this? (no need to answer if this does not come with a remote)

PM me if you do not want to answer that last question on your FS listing. I would completely understand you not wanting to publicly answer that one.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • GlennDog
    edited January 2020
    Hey Tom

I’m transparent to a fault… So there you go ...

There is a separate stock power supply and stock 8-pin umbilical.
    If you or anybody would like additional pictures… No problem, just ask

Yes there is a remote, but it is just volume and mute

I never really gave the Rhumba a chance, as there was a lot of back-and-forth with BL and then the Cary came up FS

Let me look for the BL thread and I’ll post it or pm you.
    IIRC, it was part of the thread where some signed up to audition the Rhumba. The piece that was passed around did not land at my house but after reading all the reviews there was one that popped up locally, and I snagged it

As an aside, the Rhumba also has one of the sweetest remotes I’ve ever held. It fits in the hand well and has a heft to it that is, just perfect. Vol only
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    Remote is perfect. The Cary I currently have has a gawd awful credit card remote with the balance adjustments directly below the volume pads. How dumb is that? Two things I will not sway on with a pre is a remote and tubes.

I like the fact that it has an external PS. That's a big plus in my book.

I'll send you a PM in a minute. Thanks,

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    BTW gentlemen, this is still up for grabs. I am still currently exploring my options. In no way, shape or form do I want to impede a sale.

The reason for the PM was not necessarily to discuss the sale of this preamp. (Well, it was but it wasn't the only reason)

This Cary-SLP-98 is currently still up for grabs. Thanks for your time today, chief! Much appreciated.

Tom
  • verb
    treitz3 wrote: »
    BTW gentlemen, this is still up for grabs. I am still currently exploring my options. In no way, shape or form do I want to impede a sale.

The reason for the PM was not necessarily to discuss the sale of this preamp. (Well, it was but it wasn't the only reason)

This Cary-SLP-98 is currently still up for grabs. Thanks for your time today, chief! Much appreciated.

Tom

I can say that this piece is truly a gem. @GlennDog was kind enough (typical Polkie) to lend this piece to me while I was having some drama with the VTL. I absolutely loved this piece, and would have never let it go, but was able to snag the SLP-05 instead.

Heck, I'm still thinking about it! Act fast folks! :smile: