Just JB welded some MW6510's. It's been a while.....

headrott
headrott Posts: 5,484
edited November 2019 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I received these MW6510's about 3 years ago, and finally got around to JB Welding them today. It's the first time I have done this in about 7 years. Glad I finally got them done. Now I just need to install the tubes (into my DAC) I received from @heiney9 about 10 months ago, LOL!
9phjy0f0n737.jpg
Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
Post edited by headrott on

Comments

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I really like the JB Weld Steel Stick for this task. YMMV
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Haven't seen or heard of the steel stick. I will look for it the next time I go shopping. Sounds easier than JB Weld liquid (especially with an injured thumb...). Thanks for the suggestion.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 520
    I've also used PC-7 epoxy for the magnet job. At room temperature it stays pretty solid (won't sag or run) so you can form it around the magnet with a knife without mess. If you want the stuff to be less viscous you can hit it with a hair dryer/heatgun which will also kick the reaction a bit faster. When it cures it is absolutely bombproof.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited December 2019
    I’ve never secured magnets before. So I’m not sure of the details

Jesse sent me a couple of drivers a while back that were so cleanly welded that you really couldn’t tell they’d been altered, unless you were looking for it.

Extremely clean job. Maybe he can chime in regarding the technique he used
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • I've got a whole batch of 10" woofers I need to give the magnets a go on. Loaded them up and took them to an event this fall, only to discover when I got there that one cone was locked up tighter'n a drum. OK...knew it was a magnet slip. The drivers are cheap enough I wasn't too concerned.

Got home and was moving them again, and had one in my hand carrying it and FELT it give and move. Clunk! Poopie.

Picked up a couple replacements, so no problem...even though I may give a go to repairs on the bad ones just to do it. Some folks around here that know how to build drivers and probably know more than I can imagine about any potential to fix.

But the real deal is I have a little more than a dozen more of the same I want to JB Weld before they do the same.

CJ (formerly)
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »

Caught me. Don't know how you figgered me out.

Guess I went too long without posting and couldn't get back in. Wanted to post so I just made a new account.

CJ (formerly)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited December 2019
    Pm @F1nut, @CassidyStains and @msg they may be able to fix you.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    GlennDog wrote: »

Jesse sent me a couple of drivers a while back that were so cleanly welded that you really couldn’t tell they’d been altered, unless you were looking for it.

Say what, I sent you drivers!?! When the heck did I do that....lol

I likely used the original Power Grab that dried clear. The new stuff dries white. Anyway, run a bead around both sides of the magnet (one at a time) and use a wet finger to smooth it out. Wipe off the excess with a wet rag and let it cure for a day.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    F1nut wrote: »
    GlennDog wrote: »

Say what, I sent you drivers!?! When the heck did I do that....lol

I likely used the original Power Grab that dried clear. The new stuff dries white. Anyway, run a bead around both sides of the magnet (one at a time) and use a wet finger to smooth it out. Wipe off the excess with a wet rag and let it cure for a day.

That is what we used (Power grab) clear drying ...looks great!
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,133
    I have some Gorilla Max Strength Clear Construction Adhesive, which I used on a external door threshold and sill project and I can say that it adheres extremely tenaciously to metal and dries to a shiny clear finish. I may just use this instead of JB Weld epoxy. I can verify that the new Power Grab is white and not clear. I believe this new stuff from Gorilla is probably superior.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474