Mouse chewed cord!!

Mr. Sharpe
Mr. Sharpe Posts: 1,354
edited November 2019 in Headphones
In three or four places, a mouse (or rat) chewed the cord apart on my cousins DT770 pros and I need some info before proceeding with a repair.

First I mentioned the removable cord mod and he’s good with me fixing it. I could do it no sweat, but I have about three or four feet of cord left attached to the cans so I’m gonna put a new plug on it instead. This may be easier and possible better because I don’t have a dreamer tool to use inside and nothing to seal up the large hole. So here’s what I need to know, I pulled insulation off and see three wires, blue, red and copper, which is right left and ground? Also on the plug I have where does right and left go? I.e like is the tip of the plug right or left? I feel like I should know this by now BUT the only thing I’ve done to headphones so far is listen to them so forgive my ignorance please.

Here’s a pic of the plug, I feel like a could solder the contacts but I may end up getting a different kind of plug.
0wabjb6jdavp.jpg

And a pic of the wire. Ragged
tu6ewfcmpd0b.jpg

Any info is well appreciated and once I get to doing it I’ll post pics:) it will be a while before I get to it because I will be starting a new career this week and will be away from home a while.
Home theater:
43” Westinghouse Displayer
Marantz UD-7007 Player
Emotiva MC-700 Processor
Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
Parasound Zamp Amplifier
Ethereal ESO-1 Power Conditioner
Klipsch RC-10 Center
Klipsch R34c Fronts
Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
Polk audio RTA-12c’s fully upgraded crossovers
DIY 12tc braided speaker cables
Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
Parasound P6 Preamplifer
Parasound HCA -1500a Amplifier

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Not sure why you think anyone here would know what you're asking. Your best bet is to contact the manufacturer to see about getting a replacement cord.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Could you reconsider starting the new career because I am too excited to see how this pans out and I would prefer not having to wait?
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Do you still have the old plug with some attached wire? Using a multimeter, you can easily trace which wire goes to which plug section.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    copper is almost definitely ground. The tip is left and the middle is right, the base is ground, IIRC. I don't know what to tell you about the blue or red.

Yes, contact the manufacturer! good luck. :)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Do you still have the original jack, or did the mouse/rat 🐀 abscond with it? Last time I did one of these repairs, I had the same question as you, and used a multimeter to read out the connections on the old tip.

But yeah, I'd say try to source a new cable from Beyer-D. If those wires are like the ones on a set of earbuds I was repairing, they may be enamel coated, which can be a pain to work with.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    (sorry for the dupe suggestions. my thread view wasn't up to date when I wrote)
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Make sure the rat didn't take a dump in the cups
  • Mr. Sharpe
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    copper is almost definitely ground. The tip is left and the middle is right, the base is ground, IIRC. I don't know what to tell you about the blue or red.

Yes, contact the manufacturer! good luck. :)

That’s all I needed.

F1nut wrote: »
    Not sure why you think anyone here would know what you're asking. Your best bet is to contact the manufacturer to see about getting a replacement cord.

You threw me bro.

And to answer the other posts about the original plug, it’s gone. The Mouse probably forgot and left it in his cargo pants

Home theater:
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
  • Mr. Sharpe
    I actually forgot figuring the red and blue wires will be easy:)
    Home theater:
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
  • Mr. Sharpe
    I can’t believe it but I must have skipped the comments asking if I had the original plug lol sorry but either the mouse took it into oblivian with him or one of those small black holes opened up in my junk closet and it fell in there....

Anyway I have a plug coming from China but I’m about to order one from here if it’s not expensive. They can be had for cheapy cheap.
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Could you reconsider starting the new career because I am too excited to see how this pans out and I would prefer not having to wait?

Try and contain your excitement lol

Home theater:
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505