Is upgrading to the RD0194-1 tweeters worth it?

I was introduced to Polk speakers the other day when I picked up a pair of 5JR series II's for a reasonable price. They were in great condition (besides some minor scratching on one of the sides of the casing). I instantly fell in love with; however, after researching a bit about them, I found that most people recommend upgrading to the RD0194-1 tweeters.

A lot of people were saying that they are an improvement, I don't doubt that, but I wanna know if they are that big of an improvement to fork over $120 to pick up a pair (that's more than what I paid for to get the speakers themselves).

Also, if I should, what's the best place to go about buying them. I saw them here: https://www.midwestspeakerrepair.com/shop/home-audio/tweeters/polk-audio-1-tweeters/polk-audio-sl2000-1-inch-dome-tweeter/

The company seems to be held in somewhat high regard, but I was just wondering what your guy's experience with them is like, and if that's a reasonable price for the tweeters (it seems to be but who knows.)

Best Answers

Answers

• NovaBomber
    NovaBomber Posts: 6
    edited December 2019
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Series 2 speakers would take
    RD-0198 tweeters

100% worth it!!

I did some more research and it appears they are actually the 5JR+ series 1's; craigslist ad says series 2 but the series 2 tweeter differs from the one I have and the depth of mine is 1in shorter than it (it's that of series 1's).

EDIT: Pull the tweeter out, it's an SL 2000, so definitely 5JR+ series 1's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    NovaBomber wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Series 2 speakers would take
    RD-0198 tweeters

100% worth it!!

I did some more research and it appears they are actually the 5JR+ series 1's; craigslist ad says series 2 but the series 2 tweeter differs from the one I have and the depth of mine is 1in shorter than it (it's that of series 1's).

Correct series 2 was SL2500
    Prior to that it was SL2000 your replacement is correct then with RD-0194
  • $48ea with free shipping from Polk for forum members IIRC...

Where do I go about getting them from Polk?
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    $48ea with free shipping from Polk for forum members IIRC...

Where do I go about getting them from Polk?

Call Polk customer service. You may need to leave your number and they call you back. Just be sure to mention you're a member here. If they are out of stock then Midwest speaker will be the next option but no discount and shipping cost.
    They are worth it.

Will do, thank you for the help!
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    edited December 2019
    You can upgrade the xovers as well and make those stellar.6lvfvbd25zmc.jpg
    s13d57n8h5zh.jpg
    m16t5hy49u7k.jpg
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • You can upgrade the xovers as well and make those stellar.6lvfvbd25zmc.jpg
    s13d57n8h5zh.jpg
    m16t5hy49u7k.jpg

Sorry, I'm not familiar with DIY audio, what exactly would modifying my crossovers do? Or what would your specific modding do?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    New better film caps sound much better than the very old and tired electrolytic's and mylar caps used in production.

It is worth the cost if you can solder.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    You can upgrade the xovers as well and make those stellar.6lvfvbd25zmc.jpg
    s13d57n8h5zh.jpg
    m16t5hy49u7k.jpg

Sorry, I'm not familiar with DIY audio, what exactly would modifying my crossovers do? Or what would your specific modding do?

Mo' better sound, of course.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2 wrote: »
    New better film caps sound much better than the very old and tired electrolytic's and mylar caps used in production.

It is worth the cost if you can solder.

Could you recommend some caps to use, and maybe a guide; as I can't really seem to find anything past a recommendation for a brand (maybe I'm just looking wrong lol)

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    The forum is full of crossover upgrade threads and posts.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk