Tales From the Dash Cam

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    After many years of enjoying Motorcycles and travel, I'm seriously considering giving it up. There are just way too many ignorant f**ks out there to try and keep track of anymore :/
  • Nightfall
    Be safe out there. Lots of idiots to be sure. I've made my share of mistakes but nothing like turning right in front of oncoming traffic.

• This was a few years back.
    She must have been texting on her cell phone and looked up to see brake lights. Everybody else is just slowing down but she locks up her brakes needlessly and almost lost control of the car.

Jane the Brake Slammer...
    https://youtu.be/e-WJEFawFCc
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Nice! I love catching drivers texting. I just keep my distance and wait.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Nightfall
    That new of a car and no ABS?

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Nightfall wrote: »

When all 4 lock up, there's no signal to the abs computer to indicate that there's forward motion unless there's a G meter for traction control, but even then it might not be part of the programing.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767

Could be broken, a while back my dad got his brakes replaced, and when they returned one of the speed sensors, they left the wire out of the clip, which burned through pretty quickly on the tire. Entire ABS stopped working. Simple fix though :)
  • Maybe if the brakes are hit hard enough the ABS just can't take over. Kind of like on snow or ice. I guess I've never tried to lock them up on dry pavement, may have to give it a try.

Anybody else getting low quality video playback for the first 10-15 seconds? It seems to clear up after that. All the videos above are the same way, but when you go directly to YouTube there fine.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I know this isn't your tale but it came in on my FB feed. During the video, you will see the screen get darker and then lighter. When it gets lighter again, look in the very back of the road at what's barreling along at quite the clip...

https://www.facebook.com/KCBDNewsChannel11/videos/797650547327210/

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Holy cannolis! Run for your lives!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I'm betting that guy got a ticket.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    I saw that on FB as well. A few pair of clean underwear are in order.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Nightfall

Please post some info about your camera. After watching for several weeks, I want to install to help with my sanity.

Keep it up!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Nightfall
    edited December 2019
    Nextbase 322GW. I got it at Best Buy. I think it was around $150 so not bargain basement cheap but not top shelf. There's a suction cup mount then the camera snaps onto and off of the mount with a pretty strong magnetic connector. Plugs into a cigarette lighter. Also has a very small battery so it can keep recording for a few seconds after you shut the car off. You can hardwire it too if you want the G sensor (starts recording if something bumps your car while parked and off) function to always work. Transfer files to your phone from the camera with a proprietary app. There's also a reverse facing camera accessory if you want to watch the occupants and out the rear window as well.

ll16a1kztexq.jpg

cr5kt7d5cjty.jpg

• Thanks much!!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Nightfall

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2020
    I can see that there is a blind spot issue for incoming traffic like you witnessed first hand.

I had one just 2 blocks from me. The bushes hid oncoming traffic from the drivers side. Speed limit 35 BUT of course people would drive 50mph by the time they got to this intersection with no light. Thank God somebody cut down the bushes! Now there is NO blind spot at all.

Your video clearly shows tall SUVs blocking the vision of that person. Heck, I couldn't see them either.

Maybe blocking people from parking there will happen in the future and help prevent an accident. ;) After re-watching your video, there IS a no parking sign there. Maybe they need to move it ONE MORE vehicle back. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Hate to say this but speed limit is 25 & your cam says your doing 30. Your in a congested area where vehicles & children may be. Just saying
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    I have almost 2 million miles & over 34 years CDL license. I was doing 40 mph in a 45 mph road. Craig came out of a tree's driveway & hit the side of my car & into the windshield. It changed my whole life. I am petrified of speed. oph13k9cknnt.jpg
    jl6cevpjmk9z.jpg
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    I apologize for my post above. Since this thread started I have visited YouTube & I am shocked. To see traffic stopped & a vehicle turns & gets hit from a vehicle that is moving faster than it should be. But "they have a cam" . It may have been preventable by just slowing down. Please be safe for yourself & others. I may also get a cam myself. Thanks for all the post. Be safe
    Randy/Maine
  • Nightfall
    edited January 2020
    I'm going to try driving the next couple of weeks with my lights on no matter the time of day or weather to see if things improve. Any other ideas of ways to make yourself more visible, I'm all ears.

I think the majority of my issue is that I drive a small vehicle and it's white. God help those on motorcycles.

I won't argue that I don't drive 5 over. I almost always do. I will say though that if I see a kid or a dog I slow way down, less than the speed limit, even if they're playing in the yard. I've yet to hit anything, anyone, or be hit myself in 20 some years of driving. I would never continue driving my car if it needed brake work and I don't cheap out on tires.

• boston1450
    ^^^ Agree. They should be made that way from factory. Turn the key. They come on. My Volvo car does. F350 doesnt. I see many roads that are posted Lights on for Safety.
    Randy/Maine
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I'm going to try driving the next couple of weeks with my lights on no matter the time of day or weather to see if things improve.

I think the majority of my issue is that I drive a small vehicle and it's white. God help those on motorcycles.

Next we will be hearing about how many dadgum batteries you've had to buy or how many times your car was dead.

:D:D:D

I personally do not like those daytime running lights. I figure if you can't see my truck,car or van why would lights make a difference. I've noticed now that people have gotten so used to the high 3rd brake light they have now on new vehicles had to make it blink several times before it stays on while braking. Funny how for 80yrs 2 sometimes tiny tail lights was all that was needed because folks paid attention and had respect for others. Now no one gives a rats a$$ as long as they get there fast and first.

• boston1450
    People up here in Maine people buy white or gray vehicles. When it snows they drive without lights on. Sometimes even when its snowing. Can see them for xxxx. Lights on when raining by law. Dont see it tho & not enforced
    Randy/Maine
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    I'm going to try driving the next couple of weeks with my lights on no matter the time of day or weather to see if things improve. Any other ideas of ways to make yourself more visible, I'm all ears.

I won't argue that I don't drive 5 over. I almost always do. I will say though that if I see a kid or a dog I slow way down, less than the speed limit, even if they're playing in the yard. I've yet to hit anything, anyone, or be hit myself in 20 some years of driving. I would never continue driving my car if it needed brake work and I don't cheap out on tires.

Put big Mickey Mouse ears on the roof.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    F1nut wrote: »

Wouldn't be any less stupid than all the cars out right now with reindeer antlers. No offense intended if you're into that.

de850312dd49853f71fe1f949d14cc82.jpg

• Nightfall
    edited January 2020
    F1nut wrote: »

I'm all ears... Mickey Mouse ears... was that intended and I'm slow or? Yeah. I'm slow.

• Nightfall
    I'm going everyone, good luck! There was no chance of an accident because one of us was paying attention at least. I had to hit my brakes, you can see the speed on the bottom. They didn't even look.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bh-Zc-gco84

• Nightfall