New to me JVC QL-Y5F Turntable

Hi Polks,

Just got a like new TT. I would say the condition is a 9 out of 10.

It currently has a Techniques cartridge on it and it sounds great but since this is my first TT I can’t compare it to anything else.

Is there a cartridge brand I should look into when the time comes to replace it?

TIA

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I think it would be both interesting and helpful to know exactly which model Technics cartridge is currently installed in it.
    There were some interesting ones, e.g., the strain gauge cartridges, like this one:
    https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=82788

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Congrats on a nice vintage turntable! What model Technics cartridge is it? A 270, by chance? When the time comes for an upgrade, it may only be a new stylus that you need.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    Let’s see it! I had been looking for one but found the Denon Dp-59l that I recently picked up.

The JVC looks to be a great pick.

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited December 2019
    Your TT model # looks awesome! B)

I owned a JVC TT for a while years ago and it wasn't as nice as yours, BUT it was nice, solid and played records very nice. I had a nice cartridge on it too. I passed it on cheaply to help a guy out.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    Read up on the Hana carts. I’m starting to lean that direction
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    What it appears you have is a Technics headshell and an Audio Technica cartridge. Its an elliptical diamond. Have you listened to it? Do you know how many hours are on the cartridge?
  • dromunds
    By the way, you can "unscrew" the end of the headshell and you can pull it off the arm. Very convenient for changing cartridges as you aren't working in a confined space etc. Then when you are finished changing over the cartridge, you just push the headshell back into the end of the arm and tighten it up and set your tracking force, etc. If you plan to change the cartridge I'd pick up one of those digital scales for setting tracking force. I can't remember off the top of my head the brand I have but its cheap about $20 and gives a precise measurement. There's a thread somewhere on that brand and I'll see if I can find it - or I'll look at mine when I get home and take a photo. Did you get an alignment tool with the turntable, sometimes its a small plastic piece that slides over the end of the cartridge, sometimes its a paper or cardboard alignment "protractor". If the AT cartridge you currently have sounds good I'd probably use it for awhile and get my learn on before changing cartridges.
  • jdjohn
    dromunds wrote: »
    If you plan to change the cartridge I'd pick up one of those digital scales for setting tracking force. I can't remember off the top of my head the brand I have but its cheap about $20 and gives a precise measurement. There's a thread somewhere on that brand and I'll see if I can find it - or I'll look at mine when I get home and take a photo.
    Don, mine looks like this:
    vex0cgv0qbvx.jpg
    A LOT of them look just like that, but just with different brand names printed on them. Here's the basic model on Amazon for $12. https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Turntable-Backlight-Tonearm-Cartridge/dp/B07CV84DGX/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=digital+scale+turntable&qid=1577375825&sr=8-6
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • That's a decent cartridge. Here is the best place I know to get a replacement styli for it. Get the 208-DE

https://thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/part_detail.asp?PNumberBase=208&SearchType=MfgNameNeedles&MfgName=Audio+Technica&Categories=

This is the alignment tool you need.

https://www.amazon.com/Technics-Needle-Gauge-Adjustment/dp/B00U1XK5Z6

This is how it should look when it's aligned right.

bij1j6msrkk2.jpg
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • dromunds
    jdjohn wrote: »
    If you plan to change the cartridge I'd pick up one of those digital scales for setting tracking force. I can't remember off the top of my head the brand I have but its cheap about $20 and gives a precise measurement. There's a thread somewhere on that brand and I'll see if I can find it - or I'll look at mine when I get home and take a photo.
    Don, mine looks like this:
    vex0cgv0qbvx.jpg
    A LOT of them look just like that, but just with different brand names printed on them. Here's the basic model on Amazon for $12. https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Turntable-Backlight-Tonearm-Cartridge/dp/B07CV84DGX/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=digital+scale+turntable&qid=1577375825&sr=8-6

Yep, mine is a Riverstone but that's what I'm talking about. ACMF74: I'd pick up a digital scale so you can check your tracking force because it may have been whacked during the moving process, assuming you haven't checked the tracking force already since you've received the table. You can look up what the tracking force should be with that cart, probably in the area of 1.5 grams. Ask if you have questions on how to set the tracking force.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Congrat's, acmf74! That looks to be minty....

Enjoy some good listening sessions now. That was a good score.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • acmf74
    acmf74 Posts: 936
    Thanks for all the feedback and advice. The TT is from the original owner and he did mention it wasn't used very much. All the controls work perfectly and it sounds very good with my set up. Looking forward to trying out this new vinyl hobby!
  • mhardy6647
    There were some mighty fine JVC turntables. Had a friend way back when with one of the armless ones upon which he had an SME arm installed. It was very, very nice.

• mhardy6647
    so, yeah, as others have observed -- an Audio Technica cartridge.
    Personally not a fan of the A-T sound, but many folks do like 'em.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

I tried out AT vs Ortofon not too long ago, and the Ortofon "house sound" won out for me. I gave the AT to @mlistens03 and it works for him.

To me, the AT was smoother and more refined, but the Ortofon seemed to have more character and let me see more fully into the music.

Always interesting to me how phono cartridges are a very personal thing.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Clipdat wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

I tried out AT vs Ortofon not too long ago, and the Ortofon "house sound" won out for me. I gave the AT to mlistens03 and it works for him.

To me, the AT was smoother and more refined, but the Ortofon seemed to have more character and let me see more fully into the music.

Still loving it! Go back and forth between it and the Shure sometimes for a change of pace, and there is definitely no competition. :)

I have two ATs I use, the aforementioned VM95S/H from Drew, and another older one that I found on a Dual table (and has a model number I can never remember), which is a bit more musical but a lot less refined. Both are great, and I always recommend a Audio Technica or a Shure (If you can find one.) :)

Welcome to the vinyl rabbit hole! It is deeper than I could've ever imagined. ;)
    -Micah
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I'm a fan of the Shure house sound as well, ironically enough for listening to house music. It does really well with that genre for some reason.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    If your phono pre has mc, a denon cart might fit the bill
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • jdjohn
    Clipdat wrote: »

Indeed, it eventually comes down to personal preference and taste.

Even your comments about AT and Ortofon: some people would simply stop with the AT being "smoother and more refined," and call it a day. Who could argue with that? But you ended up liking the "character" of the Ortofon. I have found Ortofons to sound detailed, analytical, clinical, and I can understand the appeal in that. But, I personally prefer the AT sound, when properly matched with a tonearm and phono preamp (with a capacitance setting of -0-, or 47pF). Of course we're talking about MM carts in this case.

I also agree with your comment about Shures and "house music" - there is an unobtrusive nature to the sound. Shures can handle more capacitance.
  • Personal preference is a funny thing. I like my Grado over my Ortofon. Both are nice though! :)
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • mhardy6647
    Personal preference is a funny thing. I like my Grado over my Ortofon. Both are nice though! :)

me, too... 'cept the Ortofon SPUs... which are sublime... but fairly pricey (i.e., too pricey for me).

• jdjohn
    I can't resist making an observation here, and my apologies to @Clipdat and @mhardy6647 if I am overstating.

Drew likes the detailed nature of (modern) Ortofon cartridges, and in my observation, prefers the detailed sound of a Class-D amp.

Mark likes the warmer sound of a Grado, and in my observation, prefers the sound of tube amps over "soiled state" (his term, not mine). :)

A further, and consistent, testament to personal preference.
  • mhardy6647
    Dead on, in my case.
    ... which is why the daily driver cartridge here is a DL-103 :)
  • dromunds
    What settings do you use for the DL-103?
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2019
    What settings do you use for the DL-103?

I use one of the original versions ("Mark I") of Allen Wright's JLTi ("Just Listen To it") phono preamp.
    https://www.customanalogue.com/jlti_phono_stage.htm

10978656836_fe7215588b_c.jpgJLTiphonopreamp by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Yes, the Mark I came complete with some of the silliest prose printed on its case of any hifi products this side of Peter and May Belt or Geoff Kait! :p

Settings? You mean gain and load? The LOMC gain is 60 dB. As to the load impedance, I'll actually have to go and look; I don't remember off the top o' my head. :p I think I have 100 ohm resistors on there -- but I have to check.

• dromunds
    Yes, I meant gain and load. Thanks. Ever try 200?
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2019
    Probably not so far; this preamp is easy to adjust by adding two RCA plugs with the desired resistors :)

Oh -- to the OP; sorry 'bout the thread hijack detour! :|