Turntables

Options
cruiser3
cruiser3 Posts: 47
edited May 2002 in Electronics
Need some opines and advice, please. My set up is Onkyo 696 receiver, RM6600 w/ 350m sub, DVD is Panasonic RP 32, Tape deck is JVC 350.....We need a turntable to complete our modest set up so we can use our collection of records......

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated......Thanks!!!
Onkyo 696 receiver, Panasonic DVD RV31U,Polk RM6600 w/ 350 sub (rti28's 2nd zone), JVC Dual tape deck, MMF-2.1 Turntable, JVC 5010 CD R. ((its simple, its cheap, it works))
Post edited by cruiser3 on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Used or New? Hit the thrift stores and bag a Quadraflex or some such for next to nothing. I bagged a Reference 610T with Grado cart for $7 about a month ago.

I have my eye on Audioadvisor.com 's offering on the Music Hall MMF 2.1, Stereophile recommended for right at 3 Franklins...

MHMMF2_000.jpg

Music Hall MMF 2.1

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2002
    Options
    just make sure it can play all the speeds of you vinal my parents have a real ond one caues the new ones dont play all of their albums they have some weird speed ones
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    Options
    There are many options. You can go to CC/BB and get a new low guality, thin platter whatever for about $100. Everything will be working, new and fresh. Personally, this would be my last choice, but it's an easy solution that deserves some consideration.

You can get a used one from pawn, thrift-store, E-Bay, etc. This has potential, but is very risky. The motor might need rebuilding, new belt, etc., but you might get a gem cheap. If they ship it, ask them to remove the platter and tape down the tone-arm. If you can listen to it and it keeps has a low wow & flutter (keeps accurate speed), get it. Throw on a new cartridge or stylus and you're golden. Thorens, Dual, Technics SL1200 are good.

Check out music stores that sell instruments and pro DJ equipment. While in any other category, I wouldn't consider Gemini or Numark to be Audiophile, but in this category they're hard to beat. Stay away from the "ScratchMasters", and you can get a new, heavy, vibration absorbant, accurate speed turtable with a decent cartridge pretty cheap.

Turtable considerations: You can get a more accurate speed out of direct drive, but belt drives usually sound better (isolation from motor). Quartz-lock vs. strobe, I'll take the strobe (variable pitch), I'd rather be behind the wheel than a passenger. I mostly look for a heavy platter and a quality tone-arm. 78 rpm sounds great anddeserves consideration. Heavier platters absorb any speed fluctuations and the tone-arm (counter-weighting) put it all together. For cartridge/stylus, I like the Shure VI. A great sounding cartridge that (back in the day) lowered the price without sacrificing quality and you can get new stylus at Radio Shack.

If you can listen, "accidently" bump it with various degrees of force. You don't want to find out that when you turn-up the music, vibrations will send your needle skidding across your favorite absolete quadrophonic album.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • cruiser3
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Your insights and recommendations are greatly appreciated. It absolutely amazes me with all the various options, equipment, etc., concerning Turntables. Thanks!!
    Onkyo 696 receiver, Panasonic DVD RV31U,Polk RM6600 w/ 350 sub (rti28's 2nd zone), JVC Dual tape deck, MMF-2.1 Turntable, JVC 5010 CD R. ((its simple, its cheap, it works))
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited April 2002
    Options
    If you are still looking I'll make a suggestion. I was just helping a buddy of mine look for a new turntable and we came across a pretty beefy Sony. We tried CC and BB first but they Sony and Technics models they sell are really fly-weights...if you have hardwood floors or are just a big guy like me you would have some skipping problems...also no counter-weight on the tone arm.
    We went to a local audio specialty store and found an all-manual Sony PS-LX350H that is very similar to my old Technics 1200. The store was out of them and wouldn't sell the display so he found it on-line at Crutchfield for 199.00. It has great big feet, a pretty heavy platter, adjustable counter-weight and (of course) pitch control...comes with a cartridge too, although at this price you might upgrade to a Shure or Grado. Good luck!
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • cruiser3
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Thanks.....I'm still looking ....and reading....*L*

Up date.....went with the Music Hall MMF-2.1. Thanks Russman, and the rest!
  • cruiser3
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Up date......the Music Hall MMF 2.1 turntable is a great machine for the money.....been playing some of my collection that hasnt been palyed in almost 20 years.....sounds great. Again, thanks for your insights and advice!
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Just an FYI, cause I did not see it mentioned here, but Ultimate Electronics carries a Denon turntable for 149$.

Bought it. Works like a charm.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png