new cartridge any thoughts on a phono pre.

jx3euauvj1gc.jpg

Comments

• jonicont
    jonicont Posts: 277
    Pretty expensive cart for someone who doesn’t have a phono pre
    SDA 2BTL, VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII, Rogue Ares Magnum, McCormack DNA 0.5 Gold, ARC LS-17se, Cambridge cxn v2, MIT AVT MA ic’s and speaker cables, ps audio stellar power plant 3

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Budget?

Otherwise, the answers will be all over the place.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    This would be my pick in that price range (plus a couple of hundred) ;)
    xvdn309fu3m7.png

https://www.goldnote.it/phono-stages/ph-10/
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    A used Dynavector P75, of course.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    Leahmen black cube. Great sound. Good price.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • treitz3
    Jolida JD9 MkII with 12AX7's to suite your taste.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • just ordered Jolida JD9 MkII
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,491
    I have the original JD9 with Mullard reissues in place of the stock tubes. No complaints. Lots of options to upgrade if you want to.
  • treitz3
    Congrat's my man and you are welcome.

I am planning on putting in 12AX7 Ei Gold pins in mine but those are as rare as Hen's teeth nowaday's. Very hard to find. I liked them in their before with the standard JD9. Right now, I still have the upgraded tubes that came with the upgraded unit. I have no idea what those are at the moment. Sounded decent enough not to bother switching them out yet.

Tom
  • treitz3
    Tung Sol Gold-Pin 12AX7 Tubes is what came with my MKII. I don't know if they still offer those tubes or not.

Tom
  • Yes the same tubes come with mine.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    Sovtek 12ax7lps
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 749
    Man this cartridge ROCKS!!!!! The drum riffs The highs OMG. Audio Bliss
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Karats have been known to be tough to align correctly due to how far back the cantilever is. What did you use to set this cartridge up?
    [
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 749
    miner wrote: »
    Karats have been known to be tough to align correctly due to how far back the cantilever is. What did you use to set this cartridge up?

i geussedmated because i didnt have a protractor. Then i ordered protractor and it was dead on balls. It was the easiest cartridge i ever done , guess I got lucky.
  • PeteB77
    PeteB77 Posts: 15
    Nice work!
    Monitor Series RTA 8T Restored, Technics 1210, Xindak Pre/power amps
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I'm looking to buy a protractor.

Any good cheap ones?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • jdjohn
    You can print one for free at Vinyl Engine.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Bump
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Tony M
    jdjohn wrote: »

I tried 5 or 6 times and the scale was off every frikn time, no-matter what adjustments I made. My wife and I tried a few different things. Nothing worked.

How do I get a screen shot to print EXACTLY LIKE IT out of the printer?

I measured the "test sample line" a few times at the screen. Failed print.
    I then upped or shrunk the "test line from the printers' picture. Failed again a few times. It was late so maybe a new day of trials will come out closer. ;)
  • jdjohn
    It is a common issue. In the print dialogue (and they are all a little different), make sure to UNcheck any option that uses the word 'Fit' (e.g., Fit to page/paper, Fit to printable area, Print to fit). Go with 'Actual', or maybe 'Default'.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    What cart/arm you using Tony M.?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Tony M wrote: »

I tried 5 or 6 times and the scale was off every frikn time, no-matter what adjustments I made. My wife and I tried a few different things. Nothing worked.

I then upped or shrunk the "test line from the printers' picture. Failed again a few times. It was late so maybe a new day of trials will come out closer. ;)

It is a common issue. In the print dialogue (and they are all a little different), make sure to UNcheck any option that uses the word 'Fit' (e.g., Fit to page/paper, Fit to printable area, Print to fit). Go with 'Actual', or maybe 'Default'.

Don't print a screen shot; most of them I've seen can be downloaded. As @jdjohn said, print it without any scaling and it should be pretty accurately reproduced.
  • Tony M
    edited January 2020
    dromunds wrote: »
    What cart/arm you using Tony M.?

I have 2 TTs to calibrate. Been WAY TO LONG not to have had this done 10 years ago or 15 and even since 1980 on another table I have. It's a nice Fisher deck.

One is a Technics SL-1400 with a Denon DL160 I think it is. Original S-arm.

The second is a Pro-Ject Perspex with a Grado Gold. Original Fat-straight arm.
    Post edited by Tony M on
  • Tony M
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »

Don't print a screen shot; most of them I've seen can be downloaded. As @jdjohn said, print it without any scaling and it should be pretty accurately reproduced.

OK.
    Thank you guys for the advice! B)
    I'll try again right now while I'm here for a bit now. ;)
  • Tony M
    edited January 2020
    well, to start, my printer jammed on the first printing. :s It's a fairly new one too. I had to spend 1/2hr. to figure how to get to the jammed paper out of it's bowels! I don't have the owners manual in site! But I finally found out there's a 2-fingered clasp on the back you squeeze to get into the middle of it. LOL.

After that was fixed and cleared, the same BS...wrong sizes for about 8 more tries. :s I tried a few different things EACH time.

Nothing I tried again tonight got me to the 7.1" target test line length. I'm done trying.

Sorry. I looked at all the settings. Even enlarging to 200%...nope, BS.

This Computer age sure isn't designed by KISS engineers. It's designed by young people getting back at their parents that treated them bad.

I think I should just order a -50.00 protractor. Maybe one with that strobe print on the back of the disc.

Thanks again though for trying to lead me through this PC screen to print on paper scenario. ;)
  • jdjohn
    Did you try adjusting the scale percentage? 200% doesn't make sense. I'm talking about 105%, or 95%. or somewhere in-between. Measure the scale, and adjust printing percentage as needed up or down to hit the scale target.

Anyway, if you want a printed disc, Hudson Hi-Fi has a good one with Baerwald protractor on one side, and strobe markings on the other, for $19. https://www.hudsonhifi.com/collections/measuing-insruments/products/hudson-hi-fi-stroboscope-and-protractor-mat-double-sided-protractor-strobe