Successful Improvement to My Vision - Cataract Surgery

I have 20/25 vision in my left eye after cataract surgery on Thursday of this week. A new distance lens was inserted. Detail and light are unbelievably better. About six years ago, I experienced a tear in the retina of my left eye which was corrected by laser surgery then.

I'm scheduling the right eye sometime after the first of the year, ASAP. The left eye was affected the most and it proceeded to worsen over the past year.

The result is utterly amazing. The worst thing about the surgery was the insertion of the catheter in my arm. I was put into a "fog like" state. The surgery time was about 15-20 minutes total. I immediately noticed in recovery that I could see!! I have to take it easy for a couple of weeks and wear a protective patch at night.

About three weeks ago, I could not see the "BIG E" without glasses on the eye chart with my left eye. This was during my pre-surgery appointment. Now I have to replace the left lens in my glasses with a blank glass. I can see the words on this post now from 2-3 feet with the left eye without glasses but not last week. I was reading only with my right eye.

Using HDTV terms, I would describe my vision today as VIVID in the left eye and STANDARD in my right eye. I had 20/20 vision until my early 50's.

I'm a happy man!!
"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA

Comments

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    edited December 2019
    I read over exposure to sunlight can contribute and worsen cataracts. I did a lot of sailing over the past 30-40 years looking up at the top of the mast to see wind direction. I looked at this picture from the 80's and I was probably looking up. If sailing contributed to the cataracts, it was something I enjoyed. I decided to post this picture to make the surgery seem more exciting.

hkarjm1wo5qw.jpg
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Congrats!!

I had corneal surgery on both eyes this year called superficial keratectomy. I can now see without glasses... basically they just scraped all of the "inclusions" off of the surface of the cornea... promote it to heal with a medicated contact lens and 2 weeks later.... magic.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Congrats!! I had both retinas detach in the 1990s. A few years later, the cataract surgery greatly improved my vision. I was very nearsighted after retinal surgery, so this was quite welcome. I also sailed in a past life, but on a small one-design in the Midwest.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Congratulations, @BlueBirdMusic.

I had cataract surgery a couple of years ago. It's amazing what the doctors can do, and how rapidly they can do it these days.

Take care during the recovery period.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    What class of boat is that? Looks too big for a J24.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    My mother had cataract surgery 4 years ago. She wore glasses since about 1940 (when she was 8) until 2015. She is now 87 and she doesn't need glasses. Amazing! :)
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Congrats @BlueBirdMusic that is amazing!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited December 2019
    Viking64 wrote: »
    My mother had cataract surgery 4 years ago. She wore glasses since about 1940 (when she was 8) until 2015. She is now 87 and she doesn't need glasses. Amazing! :)

Good for Mom! :smile: She can now see her son in all his glory!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    verb wrote: »
    Viking64 wrote: »

Good for Mom! :smile: She can now see her son in all his glory!

Four years later and the crying hasn't stopped. :'(

:p
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Glad you got it done!

I work for an Ophthalmologist that does a lot of cataract surgery. Most common thing I hear afterwards is that people should not have waited so long to get it done.

I love how the surgeon I work with describes how long the surgery takes when a pt asks, “as long as it takes to listen to Stairway to Heaven”. He distinctly remembers starting a procedure when the song just happened to have started and finishing up at the same time as the song.

Yes, he always has music playing when he works...
  • maxward wrote: »
    What class of boat is that? Looks too big for a J24.

maxward,
    It is a 1983 Pearson Flyer with masthead rig. Only one masthead model was made. The others built previously were all fractional rig. The Flyer was launched as a one-design racer. Over 200 were built from 1981 to 1983.

Pearson Flyer LOA 29'1" LWL 25' Beam 11'1" DSPL 6,235 lbs. Draft 5'9"

All had a one cylinder BMW diesel engine with folding prop. Her name - WINGS. It was faster than the J30's of the day.

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Guys,
    Thanks for the warm comments. It is amazing what can be done in the eye now.

Also, I posted it because it should be known to others that the surgery is easy and very rewarding. You all have helped with that message too.

Harry / Marietta GA
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    Wow! congrats. I would have been nervous for sure.
    Question: did your hearing improve a little?
    (I have a theory going)
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    Congrats on the improved vision.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Congrats Harry! It will be good to SEE you again soon :# , maybe at that Roswell joint you mentioned on another thread.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Congrats man, the bad part is....now you can see things you can't un-see. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SIHAB wrote: »
    Wow! congrats. I would have been nervous for sure.
    Question: did your hearing improve a little?
    (I have a theory going)

While taking it easy and watching TV yesterday, I thought I could hear a little better. So what is your theory?

I do have tinnitus which started after sitting too close at a John Fogerty concert about five years ago.

I was nervous before the surgery.

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Mikey081057 thanks for the pictures and scenery to enjoy. All great.

tonyb, I will have to be careful when I "stare". And, I do love to look at things around me.

Joe, sounds like a plan. The Peach & Porkchop has live music on Fridays and Saturday during the summer. I was having a difficult time driving at night too.
    https://peachandtheporkchop.com/
    8017y623jk0t.jpg

Harry / Marietta GA