FLAC files I'm done with them

gudnoyez
gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
edited December 2019 in Going Digital
That's it I'm done with them, with all the work that is. I have thousands of files backed up 3 times on hard drives. I love listening to them, but absolutely hate the time consuming job of backing them up tagging them getting the album art information etc, etc, etc.

Now that I'm done with the work, I can enjoy them. I will no longer pursue collecting them anymore. I have literally tons of LPs, CDs, SACD's, Cassettes, literally more music than I can listen to in a lifetime.

Then add Streaming Tidal, Spotify, and XM Radio. With all this music available to me I no longer need to mess with the tedious job of managing all my digital files I'm done, time to enjoy the tunes. Is anyone else done accumulating, and managing thier digital files and just enjoying the music?
Home Theater
Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Nope. I would rather have high-res rips versus low res streaming.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    You can stream high res.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • gudnoyez
    BlueFox wrote: »

You must not have a large enough collection then if your still pursuing.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• BlueFox
    I have more music than I can listen to, but still buy new tunes.

No you can’t stream high res, at least not from most streamers. CD quality is the best most offer.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gudnoyez
    Yeah but a lot of the newer stuff especially some of the metal stuff sounds not better than thier CD counterparts, due to bad mastering that is flooding the market.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    edited December 2019
    gudnoyez wrote: »

You must not have a large enough collection then if your still pursuing.

I can’t imagine ever being done pursuing. That would mean believing that I already posses all the great music that I’d ever want to listen to. New stuff comes out all the time, and I’m constantly acquiring new material.

I have almost 4tb of FLAC, and It will indeed be a sad day when I stop pursuing....
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• BlueFox
    Please provide data as to what is incorrect.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952

Qobuz offers very good sounding hi-Rez streaming (up to 24/192), and tidal offers MQA, which depending on the title can sound better than CD quality. And many folks have analyzed HD-tracks and found that they are inferior to vinyl and SACD rips and in some cases no better than CDs (there are several sites with data).

Why would you keep buying music and movies if you have tons that you have not used???
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • BlueFox
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Qobuz offers very good sounding hi-Rez streaming (up to 24/192), and tidal offers MQA, which depending on the title can sound better than CD quality. And many folks have analyzed HD-tracks and found that they are inferior to vinyl and SACD rips and in some cases no better than CDs (there are several sites with data).

Why would you keep buying music and movies if you have tons that you have not used???

So, one site has high-res. That is what I said. Why I buy music is my business. Don’t worry about it.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    edited December 2019
    With the advent of CD’s decades ago , I haven’t listened to vinyl in 30 years ...
    ( pop pop tick tick scratch scratch ) 😩

With the advent of streaming , I haven’t listened to a CD in 10 years .... ( $$$ )

With the advent of hi-Rez streaming , well , you know ......

Streaming is just way too easy , convenient and cost effective .....

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • If your hearing that ( pop pop tick tick scratch scratch) your not doing it the right.
    Nothing beats a good lp if you have a good setup.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    rebelsoul wrote: »

It doesn't even need to be an expensive setup. My TT and cartridge combo is under 1k and I have no surface noise issues.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    @gudnoyez , if you haven't already, you may wanna try Roon with Tidal and/or Qobuz. I haven't messed with meta c rap or ripping in four years. Meanwhile my enjoyment of music and discovery of new stuff has grown exponentially. Drop the hassles and enjoy music. Lifetime Roon is the best thing I ever did in my audio journey.

Like, simplify, man!
    8430551fff0f854783fe0d7a4d50bc65--spongebob-patrick-patrick-star.jpg
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I see Nebbercracker is cranky today. LOL
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • gudnoyez
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I see Nebbercracker is cranky today. LOL

Yeah streaming Tidal with a Node 2 CD quality and MQA sounds good to me. What does roon bring to the table I thought it was a music management program would it improve the sound quality over the Blu OS app,? I have no complaints now.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but it's sort of related. This is to all the people that rip their own music to flac. Do you guys use a cd-rom cleaner (disc with brush)? I've read conflicting reports about this. some say the brush is putting faint scratches on the lens, some say you periodically need to clean the lens to remove dust, and some say the only way to do it properly is to take it apart and blow it out with air.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    Well , it WAS 30 years ago, and I was in college ......

Bk

rebelsoul wrote: »
    If your hearing that ( pop pop tick tick scratch scratch) your not doing it the right.

Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I have boughten one Waylong Jennings CD since I swore off of them last May. I immediately ripped it to FLAC, well after I figured out how to rip it. I still think about buying more Zappa though.
  • gudnoyez
    edited December 2019
    I have boughten one Waylong Jennings CD since I swore off of them last May. I immediately ripped it to FLAC, well after I figured out how to rip it. I still think about buying more Zappa though.

What Zappa are you lacking seems to me you got it all. I did pick up the new Lumpy Gravy 2 LP 45 rpm set different than the regular one. I found it in San Diego at my favorite locale. I had been looking for it a while and finally found it. Just when you think you have all the Zappa available. The Zappa family keeps coming out with stuff from the archives. I'm finding a lot of the new stuff on Tidal.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    @gudnoyez I have all that he released when he was still alive but like you said the postmortem stuff never stops coming. I did find out that I don't have the first postmortem release Civilization Phaze III.
  • gudnoyez
    edited December 2019
    @gudnoyez I have all that he released when he was still alive but like you said the postmortem stuff never stops coming. I did find out that I don't have the first postmortem release Civilization Phaze III.

https://store.zappa.com/the-hot-rats-sessions-box-set-preorder.html
    Here is the latest let me know when you get it. You can spend big bucks staying on the Zappa Post mortem train Big Bucks, lots of dollars, mucho dinero.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Format wars again.

With my particular setup, the Auralic edges out Local (from hard drive) FLAC 44.1 files to the Tidal and Qobuz counterparts. With a slight edge to QB over Tidal. But they are very close. All enjoyable, but like Skip said, this is the problem with file chasing... Enjoy tunes. No matter what.
  • Amen Joe. I'm done with this ripping crap too.................AHHH....NOT😂 it's pure therapy to me and love learning about new artists all the time. Just got hip to a funk group outta the Netherlands and bout lost my mind. I say Keep it growing and yes...back it up.

Happy Listening all!🎩
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,064
    Amen Joe. I'm done with this ripping crap too.................AHHH....NOT😂 it's pure therapy to me and love learning about new artists all the time. Just got hip to a funk group outta the Netherlands and bout lost my mind. I say Keep it growing and yes...back it up.

Happy Listening all!🎩

So who is the group??
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    My Zeroes and Ones are better than yours! :D I have only a small CD collection, some of which I have ripped to FLAC, so I do a lot more streaming...and vinyl. I like it all, and try not to get hung-up on which sounds better/worse. Of course, sometimes I can't help myself, and I do compare.

Anyway, keep in mind that ripping files from disc (of any resolution) is done via a CD-ROM drive, which is about a $25 device. Wouldn't the type of storage (and playback) drive make a difference? A HDD vs SSD? Seems that a SSD would practically eliminate jitter. But with buffers, maybe it's not an issue?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • OleBoot wrote: »
    Amen Joe. I'm done with this ripping crap too.................AHHH....NOT😂 it's pure therapy to me and love learning about new artists all the time. Just got hip to a funk group outta the Netherlands and bout lost my mind. I say Keep it growing and yes...back it up.

Happy Listening all!🎩

So who is the group??

I'm sorry. The group is Octavepussy! I like it funky and George C. Has huge influence on this project as well. Group is cracking me up. 🎩
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Jody, I might be wrong, but it seems to me the clock sorting out the data is infinitely more important than the drive retrieving the data (ripping) or the storage piping it in. Meaning the DAC
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    @gudnoyez

As long as your still chasing the "music" thats all that matters.

There is so much out there to hear, and streaming platforms provide a great way to listen to things you already own (but havent ripped), or new things.

I do understand the trade-offs to "owning" via a CD purchase v "renting" via a streaming platform, but I find I am discovering tons of new music and artists I wouldn't normally listen to/know about through these platforms

Anyway, to quote the legendary tonyb "As long as it blows back your sack"....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Jody, I might be wrong, but it seems to me the clock sorting out the data is infinitely more important than the drive retrieving the data (ripping) or the storage piping it in. Meaning the DAC
    Not sure about that particular multiple, Joe, but I definitely get your drift ;) And to that end, the DAC chip itself is (sort of) a solved problem. But yes, the clock and supporting cast - power supply, quality of passive components, vibration control - can obviously make a huge difference. And let's not forget about cables B)

With all of those pieces adequately sorted, CD quality (whether stored locally or remotely/streamed) is fine for me. Having a few favorites in hi-res is nice, but I certainly don't feel the need to replicate my entire library in a hi-res format. And if I can pay ~$20/mo. for access to hi-res files...well, that's just icing on the cake.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • BjornB17
    BjornB17 Posts: 752
    edited December 2019
    I just finally upgraded to high res audio this year haha. I buy like one album a week and utilize iTunes to play them. If they are ALAC, they are very easy to bring in. If FLAC, I need to convert and renumber and find artwork. A 5 minute exercise that doesn't really feel like a chore. I have them synced on two PC's and my iPhone so I am unlikely to ever need to reimport.
    KEF Q150 | Rythmik F12 | Yamaha Aventage RX-A780