Dog Food Recall Thread

13»

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    INGREDIENT LIST DEFINITIONS:

Animal Digest: Unspecified animals which are cooked to a goopy broth (rendered) and used as a spray-on or added directly to the food. This is unsuitable for human consumption. The grease that rises to the top is used as a source of fat and the rest of the mash is dried and used as “meat meal”. No quality control is used and this can be a variety mix of dead, diseased, disabled, or dying prior to slaughter, goats, pigs, horses, and rats.

Artificial Coloring: Regulated by European Union but unregulated in the USA. Artificial coloring has been linked to cancer in may lab animals.

Beef By-Product: A high-protein commodity made from grinding clean, rendered parts of cow carcasses.

Beet Pulp: Pure sugar filler, leads to weight gain, hyperactivity and feeds arthritis.

BHA: Butylated hydroxyanisole also known as BHA is a highly controversial preservative that is used on many pet food products. BHA is linked to cancer causing agents in humans!

Brewers’ Rice: Small milled fragments of rice kernels that have been separated from the larger kernels of milled rice. Brewers’ rice contains high carbohydrate counts. This ingredient, if found in the top 5 ingredient list is not recommended for dogs with weight management issues.

Dried Brewer’s Yeast: By-Product of brewing beer. Considered safe for dogs.

Ground Yellow Corn: No nutritional value. This carbohydrate is used to simply make the product cheaper.

High Fructose Corn Syrup: A sweetener made from corn starch that has been processed by glucose isomerase to convert some of its glucose into fructose.

Meat and Bone Meal: Concentrate protein powder. The end result of animal rendering carcasses.

Poultry By-Product: A high-protein commodity made from grinding clean, rendered parts of poultry carcasses.

Propylene Glycol: Approved dog food additive used to sweeten kibble. Note: This additive is prohibited in cat food due to links of Heinz Body Anemia.

Rice Flour: Cheap filler, can cause digestive issues and can lead to diabetes in dogs.

Salt: Causes bloat in dogs if consumed in high doses. Also known to cause heart and kidney disease in dogs.

Soybean Meal: Plant based filler with limited proteins. Can cause allergic reaction in allergy sensitive dogs.

Wheat Flour: Wheat is the leading cause of dog allergies. NO nutritional value comes from wheat flour. Companies manufacture the fine particles of wheat bran, wheat germ, and the offal from the “tail of the mill.” “Tail of the mill” means the floor sweepings of leftovers in the mill after everything has been processed from the wheat.

We highly recommend a product that contains:
    •High in high-quality protein (muscle meat, not pieces and parts)
    •Moderate levels of animal fat. Omega 3 – 6 are excellent for your dogs health.
    •High levels of EPA/DHA
    •High moisture content (prey is 70 percent water)
    •A few fresh cut veggies and a bit of fruit (to mimic stomach contents of prey)
    •No grains (carnivores don’t have a biologic requirement for grain)
    •No wads of potatoes or other starches to offset meat content

Just some definitions for you folks when looking at a quality dog food for your best bud. You'll notice rendered meat is now called Animal digest. Stay away from that garbage, along with yellow corn fillers, HFCS, BHA.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    your wrong about the beet pulp Tony. It is a beneficial ingredient. I see you feed Carrots. Well beet pulp has less sugar than carrots of a similar serving.

http://familypet.com/is-beet-pulp-a-safe-source-of-fiber-for-dogs-in-treats/

I agree that there are many ingredients in pet foods that have no business there. I remeber when Iam's and Eukanuba came in only two colors Green and Pink. Made by the same company Iams was their standard food Eukanuba was the premium food. Then they sold out to of all companies M&M Mars. Now look at them as many colors as the M&M's they sell still some good food in there but read carefully. Like Blue Buffalo one of these day this designer food will be bought out through a hostile take over or the money will be too great to turn down (happens all the time to the best of food/brands).

Most folks think their pets need to eat as much as they do all day yet give them no exercise. There lie's the problem. These foods have a very high calorie content for the animal and boom little piggie begins. If you or I sat down and ate 8000 calories a day we would also be very round. One bowl of food I feed my dog is like 3000 calories. That is 3cups of food once a day. If you feel bad well then feed 1cup 3x a day. Heck he don't care but much after 7 o'clock he will let me know ...DUDE fill the bowl lol then off to nap time. I run him after work take him on walks and throw a big horse ball until he stops playing EVERYDAY. 60lbs of pure muscle and good cardio. guess what I get some exercise as well everyday. works for both of us.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Beet pulp is one of those ingredients that becomes bad when used too much. Dog food manufacturers tend to over use fillers, especially if they are cheaper. Usually readying the first 5 ingredients is telling of a dog food brand. Some have more salt than veggies. It's crazy, because some of this stuff is unregulated, or regulated to a point that the language is just vague enough to include most anything. Such is the same with people food.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Dogs love meat! So the amount of meat that is good is good for the dog. I personally do not recommend canned foods because they are heavily processed and they may lose their nutrients during the process. I tried the dress food as FreshPet. They have a minimally processed dog food and are a high protein diet. Grain free or low grain foods are really good for dogs and they like it very much. I also read some reviews on the internet and they are quite detailed. You may have had a look at them here https://coolpetlife.com/best-senior-dog-food/
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Low life dog food spammer.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.