Apple cider vinegar

Options
I've been drinking some of this to see if it is effective for acid reflux. It has helped me a lot.
My sister's doctor wants her to double her meds for her GERD, she's going to try the acv first. Apparently there are other benefits too from acv.....Any others using this?
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I don't understand how drinking something acidic is supposed to help with reflux -- is it like using exposives to put out oil well fires? :(

I know this is a fad thing... but I do wonder how much if any actual objective study has been done on this? A quick googlage turns up stuff like this, which is about what I'd expect.
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324034.php#does-apple-cider-vinegar-soothe-acid-reflux
    https://www.healthline.com/health/digestive-health/apple-cider-vinegar-for-acid-reflux#treatment

In other words, it probably won't do any harm; it may or may not do any good... and there will be folks for whom it would be contraindicated.

So, to answer your question -- no (not using it)... but also no problem (so far, touch wood, as they say in the UK) with acid reflux.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Oh, I will add one other thought (being of that old-school school of thought that says Western medicine has done a pretty good job over the past 600 years or so of 'evidence-based treatment') -- has your wife asked her doctor (or another doctor, if she's skeptical of hers) about the relative merits of drinking apple cider vinegar (with, presumably, the mother present) vs. good-ol' better-living-through-pharmacology solutions to GERD? Might be an interesting conversation to have.

EDIT: By the way, anecdotal evidence doesn't mean unreal! :) There are plenty of real-world 'anecdotal' observations that are perfectly real and true, but that don't lend themselves to be applied to a broader segment of a population. I worked for a biotech company early in my career which did small, early-stage clinical trials of a drug that absolutely led to remarkable clinical remission of end-stage cancer of a particular type (NHL) in a few patients who had relapsed and showed no response to conventional therapies at the time. The problem was that extensive, statistically-powered clinical studies to prove the effectiveness of the drug failed. That doesn't mean the anecdotal results weren't real... but they weren't reproducible, either. The latter is enough to keep a drug from being approvable (and for good reason).

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I tried it years ago to help treat reflux that was making asthma worse. Didn't do me any good with reflux or for anything else. Stomach acid is plenty strong enough all by itself. Also tried antacids. No benefit. Best thing for me was to just not eat anything a couple hours before bedtime and get some exercise. Also, watch out for the teeth. Acidic drinks are not good anyway, but vinegar is harsher still so rinse out the mouth after drinking.

I have heard many people say it works for them though.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    It is good for cleaning cast iron pans!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    zm10z4ll0qib.jpg
    It does help but not the cheap apple cider you need to get the one that contains the Mother. I have a friend that swears by it to help him with his gert. Some praise its benefits others dont.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    Options
    I’ve heard ACV is pretty abrasive on the enamel of your teeth
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,583
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »

Dude it's not mouth wash ;)
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Make sure to dilute it well as it will erode your esophagus over time. To help keep from damaging your teeth drink it through a straw and rinse.

And yes Bragg is the good stuff.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mark090852
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »

Yes, you are absolutely right. It will etch the enamel. Trust me on this...I just retired from spending 43 years fixing broken smiles!
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,554
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    zm10z4ll0qib.jpg
    It does help but not the cheap apple cider you need to get the one that contains the Mother. I have a friend that swears by it to help him with his gert. Some praise its benefits others dont.

I use this brand. $$$ but supposed to be worth it.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    It is good for cleaning cast iron pans!

Would it not erode the "seasoning"?

I also do not understand how something acidic helps with reflux/heartburn but, so far it works for me if I have any symptoms early in the day. Does not seem to be as effective if taken late at night though...that's the time for omeprazole for me.

Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    It is the bacteria that the mother provides to neutralize the acid build up in your gut.
    I just took my mornings dose of Bragg's got to keep my complexion and good looks in check. Seriously Braggs is the brand to get.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    Braggs is what we have although there was another brand there with the mother also. Wife is stopping with it though, it burns her throat.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    It is the bacteria that the mother provides to neutralize the acid build up in your gut.
    I just took my mornings dose of Bragg's got to keep my complexion and good looks in check. Seriously Braggs is the brand to get.

Yep. Usually your not suppose to take more than a tablespoon or 2 a day, and mixed with water or tea is best. Drinking it straight can burn your throat a bit. You have to dilute it, cut it, with another liquid or it can get nasty.

Just try a teaspoon in 4 oz. water and chug it, once in the morning and once before bed. You may notice a difference quickly, if not, then don't use it, simple eh ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable