Is this a really dangerous AND dumb law, or am I misguided?

Options
2»

Comments

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    'Share the Lane': this basically suggests that motorcycles always have the right of way. Why do they get such special treatment? Obviously, seat-belt laws don't apply to them, either. My apologies to all the responsible motorcyclists out there.

I was driving to work in rush hour traffic one morning, and a motorcycle cop pulled up next to me, got my attention, and gave me a "put your seat-belt on" motion while were both going about 35-40MPH down the interstate. He did this by taking one hand off his handlebar, and reaching across his chest as if putting on an imaginary seat-belt. Okay, yes, I should have been wearing my seat-belt, but I find it ironic that a guy on a motorcycle was telling me I need to put on my seat-belt.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,030
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Ah, this thread reminds me of Vietnam, where you go to an intersection with 300 mopeds, no lanes or stop signs... Just horn blowing and pure chaos
    Not my photo, but great representation of daily traffic, non rush hour

m8s298j350pa.jpg

And this is rush hour
    ebj2rnpouby1.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    I feel that's a bad law! Dangerous one too.

Here's an insane lane splitting video you all might feel fits that stupid law.
    https://youtu.be/yyFsIEs_bns
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • GospelTruth
    Options
    Every time we drive from Reno to the Bay area I have to remind myself about motorcycle drivers and lane splitting. With traffic moving slowly, these guys can come out of nowhere on their bikes and give you a good scare going by at fast speeds while the cars are moving slowly - and on top of that seemingly miss your vehicle by inches.

One time out in San Francisco while merging to cross one of the bay bridges we were all in stop and go traffic. A guy on a Harley was lane splitting and went flying past us and knocked off the guys side view mirror in front of us. He kept right on going and like the original poster, the guy in front got out and picked up his mirror and continued had to continue on. I don't know how the guy on the motor cycle didn't lose control after hitting that.

Lane splitting seems like a dangerous thing. While it may be a drivers responsibility to to know what is going on around them, it's easier to do so when everyone around you is going relatively the same speed. Having motorcycles lane split at a faster speed than other traffic is just asking for an accident to happen - regardless of who is at fault.

I now have a dash cam and keep that running at all times when driving. At least I'll have some record if someone does something stupid and either causes and accident or I need to get a plate number.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    Let's say a guy does a merge right while a guy is doing this and the bike smacks into the door. Who's at fault? It's a poor idea all around. That's why there are lanes.
    Around here left turn lanes and shoulders act as passing lanes for bikes and cars.
    Not legal, but that never stopped anyone. Risky driving results in accidents sooner
    or later. Just like those guys weaving in and out of heavy traffic at 80 mph.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson