The Polk Legend Series is coming

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Agree with @GospelTruth as we do "halo" vehicles, sure to make money, but equally to raise the brand image. Once a customer gets into a brand, via the entry level model, or higher, and are happy with it, they're hooked.

Very difficult at that point to pry em away from it and into something else.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Options
    :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    Options
    verb wrote: »

I am wicked confused. The link that @nooshinjohn provided... at least when I go to it today... appears to be some sort of soundbar thingy. :/

@Verb, where did you find the cool L800-precursor patent images? I've tried searchin' and I am comin' up dry. :(

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    Options
    I have talked with original SDA owners who had bought their SDA speakers back in the 80 & 90's & it was interesting to hear their memories & how their experience was & how they enjoyed them for years after. I'm sure we have some members here that can say how excited they were on that special day. I do hope that, that SDA experience happens again to old & new purchasers again.... I have read countless archived threads here on CP where members had all they could do to fit 1 speaker barely in their 2 door car. I'm kinda a history nut & even when it comes to speakers I enjoy a great story & hope to read more real soon.
    Randy/Maine
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,928
    Options
    So many Legend threads... but maybe this one qualifies as the “official” Legend announcement thread (other than reviews etc.)?

Polk is promoting this video through social media, offering a “beginner’s definition” of SDA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ0mVQStEZ8&fbclid=IwAR0q-Odc7dDSno-jdnCKXFuHm5rgb2h4EQoCLUKiFm2nVhLu-FnefR-x8So
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,928
    Options
    There is a follow-on video from HiDef Lifestyle, with some additional details:

https://youtu.be/msA9M9HB-Tc
    Alea jacta est!
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I was concerned about the power requirements and such as well (I posted somewhere on the forum, doesn't matter). After my "experience" with the L200's I was very pleasantly surprised at how easy they were to drive. Of course, we all know that not all watts are the same, it's the guts that matter. I know many would (or have already) scoff and cringe at my integrated for being an Oinker (A-9070) but I'll tell you what, it sounds good to me, and it's got guts...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    I found the L200 very easy to drive.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    You know what would be awesome?

An SDA crossover.

Just the crossover.

And a couple plates with a way to ensure proper alignment of the bookshelf faces.

Then I could get a set of the bookies and use the crossover to wire them up in an SDA configuration.

Then Polk doesn't have to make an SDA bookshelf speaker. They just make one with "some assembly required".

Way back when, they made an "Add on" SDA speaker pair.
    It was not successful to my knowledge. We have a pair in storage, but they look like the M4 bookshelf speakers, but with different wiring connections and some controls on the back to adjust the amount of "Width" I believe.

We found it easier to replicate the SDA principle with just another pair of bookshelf speakers, and to wire them across the positive terminals.

Instead of using the SDA Inductor used an electronic crossover to remove all bass from Dimensional and Stereo speakers, and used dual subs for bass.

Worked amazingly similar to the purpose build SDA's we own as far as imaging.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Hey all, hope all is well. We just wanted to let you know that we (Polk Audio) have been invited to join the Daily Hi-Fi podcast to talk about the Legend Line and what went on behind the scenes. If you want to learn more about the line we recommend you tune in.

The podcast will be live, and is scheduled for Today, 12/5/2019, at 4 p.m. PST. We will be answering questions live, to call-in your question please dial in at: 818-237-3030.

Or, watch it live here.

Both Scott Orth and Bronson Gannon will be representing us.

Hope you all tune-in. Thanks for your time.

lq4n035cpk2p.jpg
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Awesome @CassidyStains! Thanks for the info.

And FYI, this forum needs HELP! SOS!!!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Hey all, hope all is well. We just wanted to let you know that we (Polk Audio) have been invited to join the New Record Day (NRD) podcast to talk about the Legend Line and what went on behind the scenes. If you want to learn more about the line we recommend you tune in.

The podcast will be live, and is scheduled for tomorrow, 12/5/2019, at 4 p.m. PST. The NRD team will also be reading off questions submitted by the audience, so if you have a question you want us to answer please email them at: info@newrecordday.com

You can listen to the podcast here

Or, watch it on YouTube.

Thanks for your time.

Hi Cassidy,

Welcome to the club and thanks for letting us know about the podcast.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Thanks all, there was a last minute change, the podcast we will now be joining is the Daily Hi-Fi podcast. The link to the live stream also changed, just FYI.

Also apologies if you already emailed your questions, that also changed, instead the Daily Hi-Fi team will be accepting calls live. You can dial-in at: 818-237-3030
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • verb
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    verb wrote: »

I am wicked confused. The link that @nooshinjohn provided... at least when I go to it today... appears to be some sort of soundbar thingy. :/

@Verb, where did you find the cool L800-precursor patent images? I've tried searchin' and I am comin' up dry. :(

Sorry Mark just found this comment. From the original SDA patent, IIRC.
  • verb
    edited December 2019
    Options
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    Options
    I thought I'd share something I discovered by accident while watching part of the podcast live. Maybe this is common knowledge. During the podcast, I hit the "Home" key on my keyboard to jump to the top of the page, but it instead started the podcast over from the beginning, so it was no longer live. So then I hit the "End" key and it brought the podcast forward to where it was live again. If this is new to everyone, I'd like to name this feature after myself.
  • verb
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    I thought I'd share something I discovered by accident while watching part of the podcast live. Maybe this is common knowledge. During the podcast, I hit the "Home" key on my keyboard to jump to the top of the page, but it instead started the podcast over from the beginning, so it was no longer live. So then I hit the "End" key and it brought the podcast forward to where it was live again. If this is new to everyone, I'd like to name this feature after myself.

Got to be a badge for that Hermit! :smile:
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    @Hermitism I like your seasonally-themed avatar!

Oh, and your discovery is new to me, if that helps any.

:|
  • soupbone
    soupbone Posts: 104
    Options
    I had 2 questions. Did Matt Polk have any involvment in the new Legend series? Can the speaker placement for the L800 use the 1/3 rule? Example: 18' long room, speakers placed 6' from the front wall, seating position 6' from back wall.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    soupbone wrote: »
    Did Matt Polk have any involvment in the new Legend series?

Matt has been retired for a long time very doubtful he was involved.

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    soupbone wrote: »
    Did Matt Polk have any involvment in the new Legend series?

Matt has been retired for a long time very doubtful he was involved.

Right, I believe I read his last "involvement" was with the original Lsi line, back in the beginning of this century.