Classical Music: Your "Must Have" List

Comments

• John K.
    John K. Posts: 822
    edited January 2013
    Shostakovich composed his great 10th Symphony in 1953 following the death of the leading classical music critic in the U.S.S.R., one J.Stalin, whose scathing "reviews" of some of his work had made life dangerous for him. It's been said that the symphony is a commemoration of that event and that in particular the violent second movement paints a musical picture of Stalin's murderous activities.

This is generally viewed as his greatest symphony and belongs in every collection. A very exciting performance, especially of the second movement, and in notably fine sound quality is available here from various Amazon sellers for about $5 up.
  • John K.
    edited March 2013
    The music Berlioz composed marked a decided change in the sound of classical music compared to his predecessors. His Symphonie Fantastique is the most often recorded, and should be included in every collection, but his exciting and beautiful Harold in Italy, featuring the viola prominently, has similar attractions. Of the dozen or so of its recordings which I've heard, I suggest the thrilling reading Charles Munch gave with the Boston Symphony. This is one of the "Living Stereo" series which was selected for remastering for SACD and the hybrid disc also includes an excellent CD layer. High-powered readings of four Berlioz overtures are also included, making for a great overall Berlioz collection. Available here from several Amazon sellers at bargain prices for music of this quality.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    edited March 2013
    Holst "The Planets"
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited March 2013
    zingo wrote: »
    Holst "The Planets"

+1 on SACD
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • racingkaherva
    racingkaherva Posts: 29
    edited April 2013
    I'll go with more recent stuff, just for the sake of it:

Arvo part: Table Rasa (ECM)
    Stravinksy: Rite of Spring (I'm a fan of the Gergiev recording.)
    Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra (Reiner conducting Chicago)
    Gorecki: Symphony 3 (with Dawn Upshaw)
    Webern: Passacaglia / Schoenberg: Variations op. 31 / Berg: 3 Pieces from the "Lyric Suite"; 3 Pieces for Orchestra op. 6 (with Karajan conducting)
  • John K.
    edited May 2013
    Every collection should have recordings of the beautiful and exciting music Tchaikovsky composed for the great ballets The Nutcracker, Sleeping Beauty and Swan Lake. The outstanding performance of the complete music for Swan Lake conducted by Mark Ermler in excellent sound is available at bargain prices from about $5 up from various Amazon sellers . Note that this is actually the 2-disc set of the complete music, not the single-disc highlights, and is what the first Amazon reviewer(a symphony orchestra oboist)was willing to pay $105 for six years ago when it was out of print.
  • pipkinra
    pipkinra Posts: 7
    edited June 2013
    Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto #3 - Byron Janis
    Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue - Benjamin Grosvenor
    Haydn Piano Concertos - Marc-Andre Hamelin
    Beethoven Symphony #9 Klemperer
    Parry: Jerusalem, The Glories of Our Blood and State et al - Neeme Jarvi

Sacd: Berlioz Symphony Fantastique - Charles Munch RCA Living Stereo
    Beethoven Symphony #7 - Carlos Kleiber

Polk Rti A7
    Oppo BDP-9393
    Onkyo C-S5Vl SACD Player
    Onkyo TXNR818
    Polk A6 Center Channel
    Polk PSW 111 Subwoofer
    Polk RM8 Surround Speakers
  • timk65
    timk65 Posts: 40
    edited June 2013
    It would take me years to compile a list of my favorites, but someone asked about Stravinsky ... here's a few I love.

51Y-BtYJ8kL._SX300_.jpg
    This is a great recording of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring and will really show off your pricey rig, especially the bass drums. Superb playing, wonderful recorded sound - it's become my favorite of the dozen or so recordings that I have.

61FprBLqo1L._SY300_.jpg
    Another great version of the Firebird suite from Simon Rattle. Great sonics on this one.

51bEpGzLAFL._SL500_SX300_.jpg
    A great recording of the later "Pulcinella" - a great piece, one of the best from the later years and one of his most accessible works. It doesn't sound anything like his early ballets.
  • John K.
    edited August 2013
    An outstanding pair of Tchaikovsky performances by Vladimir Ashkenazy, in excellent re-mastered sound, in which he performs the Piano Concerto No.1 and then takes the baton to conduct an exciting performance of the Symphony no. 4, is available at absurdly low prices and should certainly be a must buy. Priced from about $3 from various Amazon sellers
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for the recommendation John! I've bought many of your album suggestions and I have never been disappointed.
    Carl

• gumbay13
    gumbay13 Posts: 360
    edited August 2013
    Just found this thread.

For someone who has just gotten into classical music and trying to build a collection, this feels like a kid in a candy store.

Thanks to one and all for sharing.
    AMP/Pre Pro: Outlaw 7000x, Marantz AV7703
    Speakers: Fronts:LSiM 705s/ Center: LSiM 706c / Surrounds: LSim 703s
    SUB: Rythmik LV12R x2
    Source:OPPO UDP-203
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited October 2013
    I bought this one (Johaan Heinrich Schmeltzer - Solo Violin Sonatas) from Amazon recently. This is an absolute must have! If you like classical that is on the mellow side, yet still emotional, this CD is absolutely for you. I love this CD and very highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PHX8LQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • timk65
    edited November 2013
    I'll just limit it to a few "best" recordings I have. I have over 1500 Classical CD's, but these are the ones I listen when making purchasing decisions ...

Beethoven - Symphony 3, Hogwood AAM (L'Oiseau-Lyre - Walthamstow Assembly Hall, London) - clarity in orchestral parts is quite amazing
    Monteverdi - 6th Book of Madrigals, Concerto Italiano/Alessandrini (Naive - Farnese Palace, Rome) vocal music with continuo, very clean dry sound
    Mahler - Symphony 2, Solti/Chicago (Decca - Orchestra Hall, Chicago) - esp. scherzo, awesome stereo imaging
    Mozart - Serenade No 10 for Winds in B♭, Hogwood/AAM (L'Oiseau-Lyre - Methus Memorial Music Hall, Massacheusetts) (pure winds, awesome sound, miked close - can hear the keys on the instruments clicking at times)
    Schubert - Quintet in C, Berg Quartet (EMI- Protestant Church, Seon, Switzerland) (esp. the scherzo - how does the very soft trio section sound?)
    Brahms - Serenade No 1, Mackerras, Scottish Chamber Orchestra (Telarc - City Hall, Glasgow, Scotland) - great Telarc sound. One of their best
    Bach - Matthew Passion, Harnoncourt (Teldec - Jesuitenkirche-Universit
  • timk65
    edited November 2013
    pglbook wrote: »
    I just started getting into classical music and lately have been listening a lot to Mozart's symphonies. Karl Bohm conducting the Berlin Philarmoniker. Fantastic.

Seriously? Bohm is the most plodding Mozart conductor ever. He directs everything as if it were written in the 1860's. The orchestra here is about ten times the size it should be. I love his Brahms and some Beethoven, but not Mozart! MacKerras or Hogwood!
  • timk65
    edited November 2013
    saemark30 wrote: »
    Bach Cello Suite 1-6.
    Which one is the best?

I like all of Starker, Ma and Bylsma. Bylsma is interesting since it's performed with proper Baroque technique. Starker plays gorgeously, but almost a Romantic interpretation. Ma is somewhere in between.
  • zruben
    zruben Posts: 20
    edited December 2013
    Spaseniye Sodelal- Pavel Chesnokov
    Almost any recording of Musica Antiqua Köln
    Great Bach Choruses by the Monteverdi Choir
  • John K.
    edited December 2013
    Sir Edward Elgar's majestic and beautiful 2nd Symphony has continued to grow on me to the point where it's now a top favorite of mine. An excellent disc couples the symphony with another Elgar favorite, the overture In The South, which he drew the inspiration for while on a family vacation in the south of Italy.

Available from several Amazon sellers here from about $5.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited January 2014
    Pickup Mozart's Violin Concertos by Marianne Thorsen/Trondheimsolistene it come with both a CD & SACD and though I've not been the biggest fan of classical music I'm really loving this :)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Hofy
    Hofy Posts: 169
    edited February 2014
    Beethoven Symphony 5,7 & 9
    Chopin Piono Concerto #1
    Holst - The Planets
    Rachmaninov piano Concerto #3
    Andres Segovia - Any of his recordings
    Tchaikovsky - 1812
    Vivaldi - The Four Seasons
    Glenn Danzig - Black Aria
  • jaygax
    jaygax Posts: 153
    edited March 2014
    chopin
    bach
    beethoven
    mozart
    tchaikovsky
  • John K.
    edited March 2014
    Holst's massive composition The Planets is well-known for its exciting and beautiful musical moments and its purely sonic virtues have made it popular content for a demonstration disc. Everyone should have at least one recorded performance(I have seven)and should also be aware that the composer definitely wasn't an example of a "one-hit wonder".

An excellent 2-disc set which of course features a performance of The Planets, conducted by Sir Adrian Boult(who led the first performance and Holst commented that he "First made The Planets shine")and also a nice overview of other Holst compositions. I especially enjoy, besides The Planets, The Perfect Fool and The Song of the Blacksmith from the Suite for Military Band. The set is available here from about $7 up from several Amazon sellers.
  • ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    edited May 2014
    File this under "modern classical," I guess, but does anybody have Danny Elfman's "Serenada Schizophrana" on SACD? It's quite thrilling and the clarity and resolution is off the charts!
    TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
    Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
    Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
    AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
  • Bach
    Joaquin Rodrigo
    Mozart
    Franz Schubert

Ill be looking for Holst the planet thanks to everyone's comments!
    Cool stuff: Adcom GFA-555, GFP-710, Oppo BDP-83, Monitor 10's w/RDO198s, rebuilt and modded XO: Sonicap/Mundorf topside, Daytons Low.
    Benq W5000

"Leaning back like a maxwell tape commercial listening to pure polk bliss"
  • LeftCoast wrote: »
    Joaquin Rodrigo - Concierto de Aranjuez performed by Academy of St. Martin in the Fields featuring Pepe Romero on guitar.

Don't bother with the version with Paco de Lucia on guitar. The experiment with having this great flamenco guitarist play classical doesn't work as intended.

Ravel - Bolero Best version is with Zubin Mehta conducting.
    Absolutely this is the one.
    Cool stuff: Adcom GFA-555, GFP-710, Oppo BDP-83, Monitor 10's w/RDO198s, rebuilt and modded XO: Sonicap/Mundorf topside, Daytons Low.
    Benq W5000

"Leaning back like a maxwell tape commercial listening to pure polk bliss"
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 899
    Zuill Baily - Bach: Cello Suites (replaces Janos Starker as my favorite recording of the Cello Suites)

41S%2Bh0bCbkL.jpg
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Can't go through the whole thread so forgive me if it was already said. Classical is relatively new territory for me (cept listening, only recenty bought any)

I recently acquired "Mozart, the symphonies" 10 CD's for like 25 bucks. Great deal in my book, I am luvin it...ewwwweee got me speaking McDonalds...
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    El Bumpo.....

Christmas is coming. Expand your musical horizons.....this is a good thread for that.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I have to add Edvard Grieg's Peer Gynt to the list. The version I have (on vinyl) is the RCA Victor "Living Stereo" recording by the Boston Pops. There are several familiar melodies in the suite which people will recognize from movies, commercials, TV, etc.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited December 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCBDlC0N8Rc
    Aquarium
    From Saint Saens carnival of the animals

One of many I love.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Franz litz
    Holts
    Tachmaninoff