Need home theater sub

My insurance claim is about done and time to replace the old Mirage Omni 12. Willing to drive reasonable distance from zip 17701. Looking to stay well under $500 since home theater sub is not that important to me and hoping to get a sub for the 2 channel soon.
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    It's right at the cap of your budget but it includes free shipping and outside of used and abused, you probably won't find a better product at a comparable price...

https://www.svsound.com/products/pb12-nsd
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    Funny you should bring this one up, I was just looking at it! Is the amp digital? Does it really matter?
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited December 2019
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    It's right at the cap of your budget but it includes free shipping and outside of used and abused, you probably won't find a better product at a comparable price...

https://www.svsound.com/products/pb12-nsd

Though I agree that this sub is hard to beat NEW for the $$$, I owned that mirage and it’s larger porter cabinet will put out significantly more bass in the ever important for HT 30-50hz region vs the sb12. This one will match your old subs output in that region and will destroy the old sub (and the sealed svs) in the 18-30hz region, which has become much more important for blu ray viewing:

https://www.svsound.com/products/pb12-nsd?wiz_medium=cpc&wiz_source=google&wiz_campaign=Adhoc Promotions&wiz_term=pb12 nsd subwoofer&gclid=CjwKCAiAlajvBRB_EiwA4vAqiBaW2zHfes4CCVXurvOHZ2lPctUsFeWrTIQndtaHAy0GzkOpp_mp7BoCmXIQAvD_BwE

Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • muncybob
    I should have mentioned that the room is fairly small(12X16) with low ceiling. What about a Polk Audio PSW505?
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Bob - I may have something that would work for you. Let me check when I get home and get back to you. I'm reasonably close to you (Bellefonte) - only about an hour or 1.5 hour drive.

-Al
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    muncybob wrote: »
    I should have mentioned that the room is fairly small(12X16) with low ceiling. What about a Polk Audio PSW505?

The PSW505 always sounded bloated an "flabby" to me...but then I am a bit of a bass-snob. My theater has 6 sealed Stereo Integrity HT18D2s, my bar surround has a pair of Skar Audio EVL18D2s in a dual opposed enclosure, my office will be getting a pair of SVS SB12-NSDs (arriving today) and my garage system has a pair of folded horn subs with Dayton Reference 8" subs. Hehe.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952

If you're really not that picky its probably fine. But I would look for something like an Energy s10.2 or Mirage LF150. Both are cheaper on the used market with tighter bass and will give you similar extension and output...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • muncybob
    Insurance company said check is in the mail so I'm looking in earnest now.

Al, if you have something it happens that I'll be in your backyard next week.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,908

I had one before I got my HSU. The bass wasn't clear like Ryan said above. There also have been a fair number of people who had amp issues with them.

I wouldn't buy one again.

Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Hey Bob - just sent you a PM!