Thoughts on B&K Reference 5 Pre

Anybody here have any first hand experience with this 2 channel pre? There's one available locally I can pick up on the cheap and I'm getting really tired of listening to music using my CA 851N as a pre.

Thoughts?
Gustard X26 Pro DAC
Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I'd pass, not their best foot forward with that one, imho anyway. Look for a cheap tube pre, if your getting tired of that SS sound.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited December 2019
    Thanks Tony. I really enjoyed my B&K ref 50 sound It was actually far better than what the CA has to offer. I'm still kicking around some tube pre options but budget wise right now I could pick this up and later move it into my barn rig. I REALLY want something with balanced outs and a remote for my LR rig and that in a tubed rig is just not happening right now. Was hoping someone here may have had their ears on one. Was hoping it was in the same ballpark as the 50.

Update: I got a lead on a Parasound Halo C-1 pretty reasonable. I'm hoping this will fill the void.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Keep an eye on ePray for Dared MC-7P and SL-2000A
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • audioluvr
    I'm eyeing a Belles 21A on there right now but it don't have a remote so still looking.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Nightfall
    Both of the Dareds have remote. Not sure about the 2000 but the MC-7P also has dual preouts for sub as well as built in phono stage.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Nightfall wrote: »

I have had a notification for a SL-2000 for awhile now they've seemed to of dried up. I like to try one as well
  • Nightfall
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »

I have had a notification for a SL-2000 for awhile now they've seemed to of dried up. I like to try one as well

I've got a karma present for you when I upgrade if you can hold out.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I'm in no hurry Josh, I plan on recapping the Adcom 565 I found looking for something else:)
  • Nightfall
    Sounds good. It's been my plan for a while. I was hoping to surprise you until you just reminded me it's a saved eBay search for you. MC-7P modded with Auricaps.

• audioluvr
    Jealous...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    I like the Ref 5 S2 I have, but been a long time since I've used it. While I remember enjoying it, I don't remember it doing anything particularly profound. I think I, too, prefer the over it for the additional connectivity and built in digital. Just more functionality, but then again, the whole point of the Ref 5 is the simplicity and stripping out all the extra stuff, isn't it?

I don't know what the differences were between the S1 and S2 versions.

Also doesn't offer adjustable bass management if that's a thing for you.
    I disabled signatures.
  • audioluvr
    Thanks Scott. This one is the S2 version. Not interested in a sub feature as my B&K monos and SDA 1C's dig crazy deep when asked. I just got spoiled with the crazy good imaging with the Ref 50 in there as I'm sure B&K designed their pre's to match perfectly with their amps. I'm sure the Ref 5 can be bested, maybe with the Parasound I'm going to check out this weekend, maybe not. I've just invested a bunch of money (to me) in XLR interconnects so I'm looking for that feature plus my house is busy so volume control and mute is important when I'm working/playing.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    audioluvr - This may be too late, but I personally own the B&K Ref 5 S2, and I would describe the sound as being a little on the cool side with great transparency, channel separation, bass authority, clarity, and smoothness. It also has a high-functioning remote with good responsiveness, mute, and is pretty intuitive to use.

Your B&K amps will prove to be a synergistic match with the B&K Ref 5, which also has true balanced connections. I know this since I also own B&K 125.2 and 125.7 amps.

The Ref 5 is definitely a solid-state sounding piece, no sonic euphoria here. I’d take it over Parasound Halo any day. Also, Parasound Halo may not have true balanced connections; you may want to confirm this before buying, because it wouldn’t allow you to get the true benefit of your balanced cables (e.g. common-mode noise rejection).

Opinions vary regarding sound preference, of course, but I prefer the B&K sound and build to Parasound. I can’t speak to the sound of the Parasound Classic line, however.

My criticisms of the Ref 5 are that the volume steps are a little coarse at 2dB per button press. I don’t struggle with this much, but I do prefer 1 dB steps as found in the Ref 50, which I also own.

Concerning soundstage, imaging, and channel separation, I noticed a dramatic difference compared to my Arcam A75+ integrated amp, which I previously used for preamp duties with the 125.2 prior to the Ref 5. I believe the Arcam uses an Alps Blue Velvet analog potentiometer. I’m not 100% sure about the volume control in the B&K, but my guess is that it is either a digitally-controlled analog volume control, as would be found in most AVRs, or it may be pure digital volume control. Either way, the sonic improvement over a typical analog volume pot is not subtle! Everything completely opened up.

If you can still get the Ref 5 for a good price, I’d encourage it.

My bedroom system is as follows:

Source: Jolida Tube Dac III, Cambridge Audio DacMagic, Yamaha KX-530 cassette deck w/remote

Preamp: B&K Ref 5 S2 preamp w/remote

Amp: B&K 125.2

Speakers: Monitor Audio Silver 1, Wharfedale Diamond 10.2, Kef Q300.

If I were to do a solid-state upgrade of my preamp I’d be looking at Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE.

If more warmth is desired, I’d go for the PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Preamp, but soundstaging and imaging might suffer some, in comparison to the above, due to capacitive coupling. But this would give huge gains in image density, warmth, and breath/texture, due to 2nd harmonic distortion (tubes!).

Hope this helps.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • audioluvr
    @jbreezy5 thanks for the input! I ended up getting a tubed pre. The gentleman had the Ref 5 and the 125.2 and didn't want to break them up so to avoid having to deal with extra stuff I just switched routes. I too had the Ref 50 and really enjoyed the synergy it had with my M200 Sonata's. Agreed on the Parasound. It wasn't better than the Ref 50 (at least with B&K amps).

Welcome to Club Polk!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC