How many db up is the treble shelf on RTiA speakers?

Does anybody have input on how high the treble shelf is on the RTiA speakers above the crossover point to the tweeters? I've heard one person say they measure it to be 6 db hot on the treble, but that is just one data point. With EQ at -4.0 db above the 2.8 kHz crossover, they sound neutral to me, but was just wondering.
KEF Q150 | Rythmik F12 | Yamaha Aventage RX-A780

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    BjornB17 wrote: »
    Does anybody have input on how high the treble shelf is on the RTiA speakers above the crossover point to the tweeters? I've heard one person say they measure it to be 6 db hot on the treble, but that is just one data point. With EQ at -4.0 db above the 2.8 kHz crossover, they sound neutral to me, but was just wondering.

Which model?
    I ask because: 1) I know nothing about these :p and (more to the point) 2) a quick googlage turns up Stereophile reviews (with measurements, as usual) of:
    RTi A1 (from 2008):
    4ms07f6vtrbg.png
    jf7dni9w93f4.png
    https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/908polk/index.html

RTi A3 (from 2012):
    s3p8zvfiat6q.png
    ay61jxvy304x.png
    https://www.stereophile.com/content/polk-audio-rtiii-a3-loudspeaker

My apologies if this is not helpful!
    :p

• BjornB17
    BjornB17 Posts: 752
    That is very helpful! That does definitely show a peak of about 6 db, but a bit higher on the spectrum. Thanks.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited November 2019
    Wow. That treble hump looks a lot worse than the SL-2000 tweeter hump.

My ears get fatigued just looking at the graph!
  • BjornB17
    delkal wrote: »

Just ran YPAO correction from my receiver and the EQ curve is basically the inverse of that. Sounds better than ever now!
  • I find my RTi a5’s to be great for both music and HT.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Reducing the 1.5-2.5khz peak, does a lot to making them sound less forward and tiring.

The treble is a bit hot obviously, but not the only issue.
  • K_M
    delkal wrote: »

But oddly enough, sounds a lot better.
    I think the SL2000 issues are not all directly related to the peak they have, but other factors.
  • BjornB17
    K_M wrote: »
    Reducing the 1.5-2.5khz peak, does a lot to making them sound less forward and tiring.

What other issues? Not that I disagree with anything, just curious of your assessment.
  • K_M
    edited December 2019
    BjornB17 wrote: »
    K_M wrote: »

What other issues? Not that I disagree with anything, just curious of your assessment.

Sorry to not elaborate. Found reducing around 2 kHz by about 1 db (I know not much) makes them far more listenable. We did it with pink noise and an EQ and them implemented it with a minor crossover change.

The cabinets could stand some bracing, so we installed a bit of stuff to reduce the cabinet "hollowness".

Side to side dowels and some 1x2 stuff all glued.

This was all with our Rti6 speakers, and it made them go from forward and tough to listen to long term, to one of my favorite speakers.