subwoofer hookup question

If I have a 2 channel preamp with XLR to my power amp and a second set of RCA outputs,
can I use the second set of RCA outputs to my sub woofer amp.

Since the pre-amp doesnt have the option to do a high pass filter but I can with the subwoofer for low pass will this be a problem?

I know its not ideal but sending the full signal to the 2 main speakers but using a crossover for the sub. I guess I would have to equalize the sub since it will be supplementing the mains.
(mains are sda 1.2TL. and yeah i know adding a sub to them might not even be necessary)

Is this a normal procedure for 2 channel sub or am I out of my mind.

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    That will work, especially since you're using the sub to support the mains and not as an additional channel. Be sure to do the subwoofer crawl so that the integration is seamless. Additionally, start low on the low pass and volume control with the sub and work your way up, the 1.2s dig deep to begin with.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    You can but it may degrade the sound going into your mains.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • FestYboy
    Not likely as the topography of the xlr and rca circuits will be different, only sharing a source and power supply.
  • treitz3
    edited November 2019
    You would still be cutting the outgoing signal in half, depending on the circuitry of the pre. They both share the same power supply, no?

This was detrimental on my Dayens but did not make a hill of beans on my Dodd.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • FestYboy
    treitz3 wrote: »
    You would still be cutting the outgoing signal in half, depending on the circuitry of the pre. They both share the same power supply, no?

I can't see a reason to have a separate supply for each preamp output stage, as it's all low current. It'd have to be a really cheap pre to not be able to support parallel outputs on the same supply. But as you say, it depends on the pre's circuit layout.
  • thejck
    thejck Posts: 849
    what would the rating in the pre-amp I would have to look at to see if using both outputs would be detrimental?
  • treitz3
    Eh, just hook it up. If the signal going to the mains is degraded in any way, then make other arrangements. If you don't notice any degradation of the signal going to the mains, then rock on.

Either way, you will not hurt anything electronically.

Tom
  • thejck
    thanks for the input. seems to be the way to do things.
  • thejck
    due to my room setup my sub ends up being about 3-5 feet further away from the main listening position than the 2 mains.
    do i have to worry about time delay? or just figure out phase adjustment?
  • FestYboy
    No worries there.