Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Will be watching next weekend.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,833
    edited November 2019
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Saw it with my father Friday night. Loved it, even with some of the Hollywood liberty's taken. As for the racing scenes, it'll never touch La Mans with Steve McQueen. If you've never seen, it's a must for filmography buffs.

Agreed, but this will be a classic nonetheless in its own right, nice to see a really good movie that wasn’t some superhero, or reboot movie...

They also used real footage in the lemans movie...

• stevep
    stevep Posts: 327
    Went Saturday.

Took the wife to the Shelby American Collection outside of Boulder before hand so she had some context. I knew I would enjoy the movie, how can you not when it's about big boys playing with toys, but she loved it too.
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    We took it in over the weekend as well. Really enjoyed it. Loved the look of the film. Never lagged even though it was a little long. @Toolfan66 - definitely a classic!
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • My wife and I will be checking it out this weekend. Even though I'm a Chevy guy I have a thing for 427 Fords and GT40's.
    Old Name: 55LS70Preamp: Decware CSP3 w/ 1 x Amperex 7308, 2 x Amperex 6922's, 1 x RCA 5R4GY Power Amp: Cary SLA Signature 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA 5691's, 4 X Tung Sol 6550 reissuesAnalog: Rega Planar 3 w/ P2000 motor, Deep Groove sub platter, Incognito tonearm wiring, JA Michell counterweight, Tangospinner feet, Dynavector 10 x 5 cartridge, Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid phono stage w/ 2 x BEL 6922's.Radio: HH Scott 330D tuner with HH Scott Type 335 multiplex. Both modified by Mapleshade.Digital: Marantz ND8006Speaker Cables: Kimber Kable 8TC'sSpeakers: Polk Audio LSIM 703'sInterconnects. Tuner: Audioquest Black Mamba II's, phono stage: Kimber Kable Hero's, PreAmp/Amp and Digital: Audioquest King Cobra"s
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Like @FestYboy , I enjoyed the film even with the cinematic liberties they took for dramatic effect.

I would elaborate but it would contain spoilers for those who either haven't seen the film or know the history behind the GT40 development.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited November 2019
    It al started with a Lola, L O L A....

r6mu7rt7031q.jpeg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Saw it yesterday with one of my gearhead sons. Well worth seeing on the big screen. A little longer than I expected.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Great story of little known Ken Miles and great movie, even for those not into cars and racing. There may be a few spots that are slower if you are not into racing, but the time flew by for the length of the movie.

The backgrounds and recreating the historic look of the tracks was pretty amazing IMO. Although many of the racing scenes and the close ups are pure Hollywood, they did work for the uneducated viewer, and IMO didn't detract from the movie. It is not McQueens Lemans and it does not try to be (although I do wish they tried a little better). There are also many liberties taken with history, but the context fits for a "Based on a True Story" movie. It's definitely worth reading up on the real history of Ferarri, Ford, Shelby, and Miles.
    As for the racing scenes, it'll never touch La Mans with Steve McQueen. If you've never seen, it's a must for filmography buffs.
    And racing buffs. What an era to be racing in, and to film it during the race. :o

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Sounds like a fun movie for car guys.... And it's not a remake of some other movie with some phony message adapted to it.

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    edited November 2019
    Saw the movie with my wife and another couple. The women really liked the movie which my friend and I were wondering if they would. Needless to say both of us did.
    Not the most accurate racing movie, but it was entertaining and the two main characters were great.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • pitdogg2
    yep just came home from the theater to see this. I will be buying this one on 4K disc.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Saw it a few days ago.....REALLY enjoyed it. Lots of flame wars going on with the car guys about the historical accuracy and so forth. Tards.

It's an entertaining flick....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Not nearly as bad as what the SJWs want to do to it (or complaining about it). It's rough and out of hand.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Not nearly as bad as what the SJWs want to do to it (or complaining about it). It's rough and out of hand.
    I had no idea to what you were alluding. A quick internet search answered the "what?" part. :o

Hopefully before the film reaches home video, reshoots can be done with RuPaul playing the role of Carroll Shelby. Maybe Jennifer Lawrence can be CGI'ed as Enzo Ferrari and Disney can license out Bambi to appear as Lee Iacocca's evil twin "Lady Gaga The Wonder Donkey".

Please mail your "4-speed tranny" jokes on a tattered Hollywood postcard to Screen Writer's Guild c/o Lindsey Lohan's Plastic Surgeon, 4587 Outer Space Blvd, Dreamland BR-549

We need a "facepalm" smiley. Bad.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    u1b61575lrau.png
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    edited November 2019
    Saw it today... what a great film for an afternoon out. The story was fairly close to real life, but the timeline was shuffled a bit, and some dramatic license taken, but all in all, not bad. It was true that Enzo played HF2 like a fiddle to get a stronger offer from Fiat, as all Ferrari wanted was his beloved Scuderia. Henry the second should have been smart enough to know that a proud Italian would have never given control of his company to a foreigner, much less an American conglomerate he saw as being well beneath him. At the time, American racing efforts resulted in cars that could only turn left.
    I would have liked for the film to have dug deeper into why the GT40 came to be and why Ford felt the need to do it, as well as some of the challenges they had in developing the car.
    I also did some reading about Ken Miles when I got home and found a couple reviews talking about the film and was not at all surprised to see some that try to spin things for their own biases. Why can’t we just go have fun and watch a movie without being beaten up by an agenda. (I saw no agenda in this film, but that doesn’t mean the SJW crowd won’t make one up along the way.)
    I wish this was filmed in Smell-a-Vision, because nothing is better than the smell of a racetrack filled with gas-guzzling, fire-breathing beasts and melted rubber, except perhaps afterburners and JP4.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    I love the smell of racing fuel in the morning.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    .... and it's not a remake of some other movie with some phony message adapted to it.

Refreshing. Look forward to seeing it
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    edited November 2019
    Took my son last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think they made the fight call by not making the movie about the car(s), but rather the relationship between Miles and Shelby.

Hollywood will ignore this film however, because it’s about a couple of straight white guys that accomplished a Herculean task through dedication and hard work - Nothing to see here, move along...
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Derm
    Derm Posts: 95
    edited November 2019
    I took this in the day after it opened. It was shown in the Ultra AVX cinemas which had Atmos and subs along the floors. It really added to the experience when the cars were in action.
    All that was missing (as others have said) was the smell of the fuel and exhaust.

My wife went along because I had wanted to see it since I heard it was being made.
    She really enjoyed and said (as others too have said) that it will be a great movie to have in 4K at home. I will definitely grab it when it is released to video.

I think a comparable film that I enjoyed as much was “Rush” which chronicles a piece of the James Hunt & Niki Lauda fight for that years (1976 I think) F1 drivers championship. That one too is awesome in 4K.

7id93jvez212.jpeg
    xq3acueuz896.jpeg
    nqh5o7s7svim.jpeg
    cg8oqxg6t791.jpeg

Speakers
    Front - LsiM707, Front presence - LsiM703, Future ATMOS - VS 700LS
    Center - LsiM706c, Rear surrounds - 80 F/X LS, VS 900LS. Sub - (pair) Klipsch R-12SW
    AVR - Yamaha RX-A3010
    AMP - NAD C275BEE
    Main HT - LG 4K 75”, Sony UBXP800M2
    Bedroom HT - LG 55" 4K, Philips BDP7501 4K UHD player , Yamaha SRT-1500 sound projector, Spare room HT LG 50” plasma, Yamaha BD-671
    Office - Pioneer X-CM56, Bose iPod dock
    In Storage - 4 - RTiA9, RtiA3, CSiA6, FXiA4, Blackstone TL1

The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Make sure to check out Shelby America on Netflix!

https://www.netflix.com/title/81218074
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    BlueFox wrote: »

Bud your Morse Code really needs work :) try some dash'es with your micro dot's
  • BlueFox
    No. Vanilla has s c r e w e d up the forum. It used to be if you looked at a thread then it would display on the iPad with the last post at the top. Now if you have looked at a thread but haven’t posted in a thread it displays the first post at the top. So, if I am reading a thread, but haven’t posted in it, I add the dots so that Vanilla will display the last post first. Hope that makes sense. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    No. Vanilla has s c r e w e d up the forum. It used to be if you looked at a thread then it would display on the iPad with the last post at the top. Now if you have looked at a thread but haven’t posted in a thread it displays the first post at the top. So, if I am reading a thread, but haven’t posted in it, I add the dots so that Vanilla will display the last post first. Hope that makes sense. :)

jesus just scroll down LOL yes the new post thing is screwed up
  • BlueFox
    When it is on multiple pages it is more than just scrolling down. Computers are supposed to make life easier, not add unnecessary work.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    When it is on multiple pages it is more than just scrolling down. Computers are supposed to make life easier, not add unnecessary work.

Getting a wee bit cantankerous since retirement, Bud? (I always wanted to use that word in a sentence.) :p

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited December 2019
    The previously read threads started working for me again today, for what it is worth.

And to stay (sort of) on topic, Me and my fellow aspiring petrol-head saw the movie a week and a half ago. It was great!