RTi A3s wall mounted as Surrounds

gp4jesus
gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
edited July 2016 in Speakers
My wife found the mounts on-line. (see pics) I have them pointed down at a 40-45 degree angle.

byxp7jocl098.jpg
ozjylxaredrn.jpg
4h5jwxnjdmrg.jpg
il2s5cmtag1d.jpg
medeie7bo8wu.jpg

They're rated to 33 pounds. I have about 2" of 2 deck screws in the stud so they're not going anywhere. Yet I can take 'em down in less than 5 minutes. I'm sorry you can't see, hidden behind the grilll, a ledge holding the front. I'll post the make and model when I return.

Before I put them up I took a few minutes to apply Armaflex (poor man's Dynamat) to the mids and closure walls.

i11syvrozytc.jpg

Sorry for the mistaken post in subwoofers

Tony
Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work

Comments

• gp4jesus
    wall mount make & model:
    Cotytech Side Clamping Bookshelf Speaker Wall Mount SP-OS06
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gp4jesus
    edited July 2016
    Blown away watching "Need for Speed" on cable HD. Never would have guessed the above upgrade plus dropping the surround HP to 80hz (from 90) would make such a big dif!!
  • gp4jesus
    I have mounted my surrounds in my new place. Locating the studs was tough. Seems the carpenter ignored the 16" center to center practice.

I hafta run power & signal through the crawl space as I have traffic accoss the listening space. Unlike at the old place I could get away w/running both along the RH wall.

I have to finish moving the last 5-10% out of the old place by May 31st... ...priorities! Then I can do the above.

Tony
  • gp4jesus
    Miss-posted in my Tri-amped RTi A7 thread:

Long overdue update (C. July).

Completed crawl space signal feed & power distribution for surround* channels - mounted same*. Wife LOVES the clean work.

Added EXO to tweak dedicated surround L&R subs* - added another dimension to my system.

Since then picked up two MORE of these 27hz gems*, one for each corner taking things up yet another notch.

Happiness is multiple subs.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited November 2017
    Dude cut your toe nails! :wink:

Just kidding man :smile: another audiophile foot sighting.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• gp4jesus
    Update: swapped in the same DSP-laden EXO that my LR towers have taking the surround channels up a notch.
  • gp4jesus
    Surprise - ”upgrade” well worth the trouble & expense*! Familiar Blu-rays more enveloping, system more transparent than before.
    *amp for sale soon

Surrounds driven by a Rotel RB-981. Now all channels’ mids & tweets driven by the same make & model amp. To some, this seems minor, not worth the effort.

I’ve seen a few on this “write-off” surrounds*. Models from another speaker line or worse, a different brand! I’ll be quick to agree their* power demands are less than the LCR, but they still deserve consideration if you’re not one to compromise.

To that end,I will buy another 981 and complete actively Bi-amping my surrounds. When I move my system I will add two more 981s to “actively” bi-amped RTi A3s.

End of Rant

Happy Thanksgiving Polk Family! Tony

PS: I don’t understand why everything including my sig is 2X spaced.
  • gp4jesus
    After about 2 months of manual switching I finally automated rear channel “turn-on.”
    d7l0frewkcjp.jpeg
    7tdokod8ikqj.jpeg

The last step was another Furman MP-20. I installed behind the couch. A recently added dedicated 20A* powers it. This* also powers my sub.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    A lot of work there. Sounds like it's paid off. I too run a pair of RTiA3's as height surrounds. I've wondered if using mounts and being able to angle them would make a big difference if any at all. So far the performance is enjoyable just having them mounted using the key holes in the rear of the speaker.

8qfm83v22lr3.jpg

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • gp4jesus
    Thanks for the kudos I believe the brackets* are worth the trouble.

I’ll need another pair* when the “space” is ready. Right now it’s occupied w/kids. Come then I’ll add 2 more channels** and I want matching brackets.
    **I have a pair of ‘A3s and a RB981for power waiting

As soon as I locate a source* I’ll PM the link
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    Thanks for the kudos I believe the brackets* are worth the trouble.

I’ll need another pair* when the “space” is ready. Right now it’s occupied w/kids. Come then I’ll add 2 more channels** and I want matching brackets.
    **I have a pair of ‘A3s and a RB981for power waiting

As soon as I locate a source* I’ll PM the link

Dig, I've been searching for another pair of A3's but unable to find any anywhere....
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • ExJAck19
    ExJAck19 Posts: 12
    Here's a set on eBay. Part of me wants to be a greedy **** and buy them, but I've got my free money tied up in redoing my shop's system presently.
    Man Cave: Denon AVR-X2600H, S35, S15 x4, LV12R Shop: Sansui 4000, SDA SRS 2
  • ExJAck19
    ExJAck19 Posts: 12
    Alternatively, here's a set of FXiA6s
    Man Cave: Denon AVR-X2600H, S35, S15 x4, LV12R Shop: Sansui 4000, SDA SRS 2
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    fyncqfommvta.jpg

My rear wall mounted A3s not as a aggressive angle as a 45 degree but they do the trick and I enjoy them as rears over my FXI A6s. Got my Brackets here on the Forum cant remember from whom but a good buy none the less.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • gp4jesus
    edited August 2023
    These appear near identical to mine, but rated to just 20 lbs. Possibly no drilling or damage to closure finish

https://store.cablesplususa.com/sp010.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwi7GnBhDXARIsAFLvH4liJwivu8xs0YL-MO1E5gAJxLQunItekwgZuZUl5QwWDtriu5cYqdkaApkiEALw_wcB

Cotytech Side Clamping Bookshelf Speaker Wall Mount SP-OS06 came w/a 33 lb rating to safely mount those 16 lb RTi A3s. Per my pictures, a small 2X4 block between the mount & wall, allows for a near 180 degree horizontal swing

I’ll keep looking.
  • gp4jesus
    edited August 2023
    OOS at the moment but these are the same from seven years ago. Still sold in pairs, & reasonably $d.

https://www.cotytech.com/speaker-wall-mount-bookshelf-type-side-clamping-sp-os06

Note: these “clamp” front to rear. IIRC you CAN’T clamp side to side
  • zvucnik
    zvucnik Posts: 38
    looks like brackets are the money, but first need to score set of A3s in cherry finish for my surrounds to match my A7s