Looking to pair the 707’s with a Wyred amp

I’m leaning towards getting the 707’s based on the price (however, I’m looking forward to a comparison with the new L600). I’m looking at using the Wyred ST-500, do you think this would be a good pair? My only concern is comments that the Wyred is a smooth amp that may not be best for a darker/mellow side of neutral speaker. Here’s the amp:

https://wyred4sound.com/products/power-amps/stereo/st-mkii-series

Thanks.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited November 2019
    One can never go wrong with a "smooth" amp regardless of the speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Donovan84
    Donovan84 Posts: 13
    edited November 2019
    Good point! I’ve heard others pairing these Polks with Parasound amps. Comparing the Wyred with a Parasound 2250, opinions? Wyred appears to be a pretty small company, so, I’m guessing few have heard it, but you never know. Once my printer is working again, I’ll print out and compare spec sheets and see if anything jumps out.
    https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAC2250V2
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    edited November 2019
    I believe we do have some folks here who have or has had the W4s mono blocks with Polk’s and have gotten good results. I haven’t heard their amps but I do have a recovery from them and had a dac2 in the past. They make a quality product I feel. Phone support is also solid with them.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Donovan84
    edited November 2019
    Couple other options: NAD 275BEE or Peachtree amp500
    Post edited by Donovan84 on
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    Just checked for a sig block but he doesn't have one, however, I believe @Toolfan66 has Wyred components and 707's in 2 rigs.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Welcome to the forum from a fellow Minnesotan now stuck in the land of shakes and flakes...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Donovan84
    edited November 2019
    Thanks, yep Minnesota resident. Well, my amp question may be on hold for awhile. In my to-be-built home, I was thinking of going 2-channel only. I’m backing off that idea. Which means an AVR. Depending on which one I get, it will dictate if I immediately get a 2-channel amp for the mains. If I get an Anthem MRX 720 or 1120 (or maybe the new NAD T 778), I’ll want to see if that is sufficient.
  • Donovan84
    edited November 2019
    Yea, good point. Many upper end AVR’s have some type of pure direct/ stereo mode and preamp outputs for a stereo amp, One thing appealing towards the Anthem receiver is the ability to store multiple bass management/EQ settings. This would allow a setting for 5.1 and one for music. I’m assuming some of the other high end AVR’s have this as well.
  • Donovan84
    edited November 2019
    Is there something specific to look for in AVR’s to know if it accepts (works with) a preamp or integrated amp that has home theater bypass feature?

Update: I found this in an article: The surround amplifier (or receiver) needs to have pre-outs for the front-left and front-right speakers that bypass the unit’s own power amplification and output an analogue signal to the stereo amp. Pre-outs are pretty common on AV amps above £500 (we’ve listed some current models below).

By the way, is the benefit to the home theater bypass from the better amp or a better preamp or both? If it’s both, is it mostly one or the other?
    Post edited by Donovan84 on
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    You're still using the pre amp in the AVR, so the benefit is the power amp.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    ^When using it in the HT mode. When using the it in 2 channel you're bypassing the AVR. So both the preamp and the amp.
  • Donovan84
    edited November 2019
    Doing some research, sounds like Peachtree Audio is a good option. Either the amp500 if I just did the amp. Or, their nova300 integrated if I did the home theater bypass.

By the way, with my layout, where ceiling speakers would be the surround ones, I’m thinking of just doing a 5.1 or 7.1 system. Sounds like Atmos may be too tricky. Trying to get regular surround speakers on stands may be too problematic. I’ve attached a photo of the same model I’ll be building (however, without the sunroom in the far right of the photo, nor will I have the fireplace which will give me a few feet deeper wall where you see the TV).nq3ix9ft76jr.jpeg
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Donovan84 wrote: »
    Doing some research, sounds like Peachtree Audio is a good option. Either the amp500 if I just did the amp. Or, their nova300 integrated if I did the home theater bypass.

By the way, with my layout, where ceiling speakers would be the surround ones, I’m thinking of just doing a 5.1 or 7.1 system. Sounds like Atmos may be too tricky. Trying to get regular surround speakers on stands may be too problematic. I’ve attached a photo of the same model I’ll be building (however, without the sunroom in the far right of the photo, nor will I have the fireplace which will give me a few feet deeper wall where you see the TV).nq3ix9ft76jr.jpeg

Thank GOODNESS. I want to throttle the person who came up with the thought that it would be a good idea to place TVs above fireplaces. Not only is the heat a terrible thing for the TVs, the location is usually too high for "safe" viewing angles as it relates to your neck.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip