Fuyu Persimmons

Options
Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,606
edited November 2019 in The Clubhouse
Is anyone else besides me going crazy for these things lately? I literally cannot get enough of them. A co-worker has a tree and has bringing me a steady supply of them. It's just the perfect fruit, in my opinion. The flavor, the color, and the look are all simply perfect. Aesthetically, they're gorgeous!

k18bxvft0p6q.jpg

By the way, my wife got mad at me the other night when I called persimmons "gorgeous". She said "You've never called me gorgeous!". Then earlier this evening when I was eating a few and having a foodgasm over how incredible they are, she said "Oh here we go, it's time for persimmon pοrn again".

I don't know what else to say, they're delicious and amazing and if it were physically possible I would consume nothing but Fuyu Persimmons.

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    The Mrs loves Persimmons! Not sure what variety though.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options
    Very hard to get in my area. I've always wanted to try some. Describe the taste Drew.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    The title made me think you were angry at something. Turns out it’s a fruit. Had no clue.

I was expecting a gear review of some hi-end company I'd never heard of. Just a wee bit off, lol.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    I dunno, tried some for the first time a few weeks ago, wasn't super impressed. I'm thinking they just weren't ripe enough. But with all the caveats I've seen online from people making excuses for them, I'm thinking they aren't as spectacular as some folks seem to think.

Or it could be, like, cilantro. Some people love that stuff and think it's amazing on everything. Other people think it tastes like peppery soap and smells like moldy gym socks. So maybe there's a compound in persimmons that some are more sensitive to than others?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,688
    Options
    When I lived in Florida, one of our neighbors had a persimmon tree. They gave us a few and told us to just ask when we wanted more as they had plenty.

We never did.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I have two trees full of them, I can't eat em cause I can't stand em. People rave about baking with them but Charlie Don't Bake!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,688
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I have two trees full of them, I can't eat em cause I can't stand em. People rave about baking with them but Charlie Don't Bake!

Does Charlie love the smell of persimmons in the morning?
  • Spatz1946
    Options
    I don't know how many varieties of persimmons exist, but I've experienced two very distinct varieties.

@Clipdat has described his impressions of Fuyu persimmons, which I have eaten and have not found particularly good or bad to my taste.

The second variety which I know pretty well is the much smaller variety that is indigenous to southern Indiana, where I grew up. In Mitchell, a town near my home town, there is an annual Persimmon Festival. Many local bakers compete to create the best persimmon confections, especially persimmon pudding.

Having persimmon pudding with our Thanksgiving dinner has become a tradition in my house, even though I now live in New Hampshire. My daughter, who lives in Indianapolis, always has the task of bringing frozen persimmon pulp from Indiana for the traditional pudding. We use a recipe from a friend of my mother who once won the competition in Mitchell.

These persimmons are very different from Fuyus --much smaller (somewhere between a sweet cherry and a small plum), rounder, and if they aren't properly ripened, they are inedible. Unripe, they make your mouth pucker as you would never believe.

But properly ripened and converted to persimmon pudding, they can be superb!

While living in California some 25 years ago, I tired to make persimmon pudding from the Fuyu persimmons without success. The recipe would require substantial modification and would likely never result in a pudding that texture and taste like the one from the "Indiana" variety of persimmons.
    AKA "Moose68Bash" before Vanilla involuntarily decommissioned my original handle.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    FUYU and your persimmons
  • Spatz1946
    Spatz1946 Posts: 29
    edited November 2019
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    FUYU and your persimmons

Thank you for that Joe, you cool son of a B! >:):)

AKA "Moose68Bash" before Vanilla involuntarily decommissioned my original handle.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    Options
    thought it was a post about a girl I dated in college......
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options

The only persimmon I've ever used. :) They've been replaced by metal.
    I'll have to try the fruit sometime.

yuldvakcy1sl.jpg
  • afterburnt
    Options
    I hear persimmon wood is good for smoking
  • pitdogg2
    Options

For me I like fruit wood over hardwood. I am quite fond of cherry wood myself. I like hickory over oak or maple and also like mesquite for its hot but long even cooking times.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

For me I like fruit wood over hardwood.

Decorum dictates that I should just shut up.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    never stopped you in the past sweet heart
  • afterburnt
    Options
    never stopped you in the past sweet heart

Oh yes it has!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options

For me I like fruit wood over hardwood. I am quite fond of cherry wood myself. I like hickory over oak or maple and also like mesquite for its hot but long even cooking times.

Maybe Bruce was talking about the pipe not the pit :p
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    One just never knows what wave length Bruce is on :sweat_smile:
  • afterburnt
    edited November 2019
    Options
    "What's the frequency, Keneth?"

Actually, I was talking about the pit and I too am partial to cherry but now I have come into a supply of apricot to try. Some jerk stole all of my almond wood that I was looking forward to trying. I could have a bunch of persimmon if I kill those infernal trees with that puke fruit.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Oooo apricot love to try that.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Very hard to get in my area. I've always wanted to try some. Describe the taste Drew.

It's a complex fruit to try to describe! The consistency and texture is a little like an underripe pear or an under-cooked zucchini. It's not too juicy, but it does have a slick consistency that's slightly slippery.

In terms of flavor, I would describe it as primarily earthy but with a floral type of sweetness. There's a complexity to the flavor that includes a hint of bitterness or astringency, depending on the ripeness level. As they get riper and softer, they get very sweet and juicy. I prefer them when they are still pretty firm, before they get to that level.

Overall it's a nuanced and interesting flavor that is very unique and hard to compare to other fruits. It's very much just one of those things you have to try to see if you like it or not, and for most people it's a love it or hate it reaction.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Drew, you should get into cupping coffee so you can come over and tell me how my home-roasted beans taste.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    I love coffee and describing the flavors that I taste in it. My favorite form of coffee is a double shot of espresso as I feel it represents coffee in it's purest form.

However, using a press pot can also result in a multitude of different flavors from various beans.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    I find persimmons to be immaculately detailed flavor that ranges from oak and tea to caramel sweetness with tangy citrus pops of candied orange peel, hints of canvas sneakers and old folks home are also evident. It's like a beach blanket bingo party in your mouth, at low tide.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    The only persimmon I've ever used. :) They've been replaced by metal.
    I'll have to try the fruit sometime.

yuldvakcy1sl.jpg

When golfers hit a good shot, they still sometimes refer to it as "hitting it on the screws"; this is where that came from. Hey, it's a slow day, what can I tell ya?
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • afterburnt
    Options
    I got a set of golf clubs for my retirement but they're just for lookin at.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Update: Still loving persimmons and making love to them every time I eat one.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    I tried several fuyu's don't like them.
    Thanks for bringing them up. I likely would never of tried them had you not.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    How hard were they when you ate them? Like an apple, or softer than that?