Recommended 7.2.4 speaker setup

Hello, I was hoping to get recommendations on the lower level speakers in an atmos setup. My living room is 20ft. long x 16ft. wide. My oled LG will be centered on the 16ft. wall. I have just recently purchased the lsim 706 center and two lsim 705 towers. I plan on having a couch centered in the room, about 7 feet off the rear wall. I think I can put the two side speakers just in front of the main listening position. And the two rear surrounds anywhere needed on the rear wall. We probably watch 75 percent movies and 25 percent music. My question is, should I use 4 lsim 702fx's, or go with 2 703's and 2 702's? And if I use 2 703's should they be sides or rears? Thanks for suggestions.

Answers

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The .4 refers to the height effect speakers or modules which Polk does not offer in any speaker line except the new Legend line (apart from in-ceiling speakers). You should Google “Atmos speaker configurations” if you are going to go that route as those configurations are different than the old 7.2 system configurations. Personally, I would go with direct radiating speakers for the surrounds which means the 703s for all surrounds. If it’s not going to be an Atmos system, then a pair of each would work with 703s in back.

Sounds like you have a good space to fill. Good luck!
  • Thanks, So something maybe like svs prime elevation for on ceiling atmos, and four 703's for surrounds on the bottom layer? The only reservations I have on the 703's is they will take up more space out from the wall than the 702's. But I do like that cherry finish. Just wondering if anyone had either of these for surrounds, and was there any improvement of sound in the 703's over the 702's?
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    The output will be about the same. So go with the 702's for wall mounting or the 703's for stand mounting.

The 702's look great on the wall. Here's a picture from member DarqueKnight: http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s23/darqueknight88/HT-Downsize/003 702FinInstall-s_zpsw7hoayct.jpg
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Thanks, So the sound should be about equal from the 703 and 702? And I should go with the speakers that fit my room the best?
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The trick is with an Atmos configured system, the main and surround speakers are set at ear level. With a traditional surround system the surrounds are placed higher at well above seated ear level.

You should always go with what fits your room best, but if you are looking to go Atmos you will need additional speakers between the 7 and subwoofer(s). Most likely in ceiling if sticking with Polk for the Atmos speakers. The output levels will be similar between the 703 and 702, but the placement may be different depending on what your final setup goal is. The 702s may look weird if they are wall mounted at ear level.