Electro Voice Sentry II

Dabutcher
Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
edited July 2012 in Speakers
Anybody know anything about these? I picked up a pair painted black that came out of a church rafters. Sound good . 16 Ohms. 30 watts max. I was just wondering about back in the day if these were Kool or what? thanks,Darryl
MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
Post edited by Dabutcher on

Comments

• Cayuga
    Cayuga Posts: 480
    edited September 2011
    I have a pair of Sentry 1's and power them with a Fisher 500B. It's my main two channel rig at this time and I really like how the EV's sound. Give them a try and report back. They sound better with tubes or a lower power vintage Marantz/Pioneer.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited September 2011
    According to the literature it is the same speaker as Cayuga's Sentry 1 in a different box. Should have considerable panache; "great for tube amps".
    If the crossovers are not sealed (some EV XOs were potted in metal 'cans') they should benefit greatly from new capacitors (Parts Express's house brand XO caps are fine and inexpensive; they're Bennic OEM as I recall).

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/EDS/Sentry%20I%20&%20II%20EDS.pdf

Here's the manual for the "A" versions, FWIW:
    http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/EDS/Sentry%20IA%20&%20IIA.pdf
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2011
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    If the crossovers are not sealed (some EV XOs were potted in metal 'cans') they should benefit greatly from new capacitors (Parts Express's house brand XO caps are fine and inexpensive; they're Bennic OEM as I recall).
    You're correct.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • stuwee
    stuwee Posts: 1,508
    edited September 2011
    I agree with those above, find a nice little tube amp/receiver, you'll love them, nice grab :smile:
    Thorens TD125MKII, SME3009,Shure V15/ Teac V-8000S, Denon DN-790R cass, Teac 3340 RtR decks, Onix CD2...Sumo Electra Plus pre>SAE A1001 amp>Martin Logan Summit's
  • Dabutcher
    edited September 2011
    Thank again . This blog never ceases to amaze me! I picked them up for $15.00 at a garage sale for a church. I have them hooked up in my garage to a denon avr3000.. Only two analog recievers I have are a small Realistic and a Sansui 2000x. I will try one of those for now. They do not look like much on the inside-but I really enjoy the sound. Thanks ,Darryl
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Cayuga
    Cayuga Posts: 480
    edited September 2011
    I think you will like them more with the Sansui, if you get your hands on a small tube amp they will really sound nice.
  • Truth
    Truth Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    Anybody know anything about these? I picked up a pair painted black that came out of a church rafters. Sound good . 16 Ohms. 30 watts max. I was just wondering about back in the day if these were Kool or what? thanks,Darryl

Are you interested in selling theses?
  • I have a pair forsale! $100
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Read the rules for selling here. You need 100 posts. Plus the preceding 1-post wonder hasn’t posted in seven years.
  • Dabutcher
    Sold mine seven years ago. Good luck. D
  • mak99
    mak99 Posts: 362
    I grew up w/ EV speakers as my father worked for them back in the 60s. He was part of the design team for the Patrician series, and still has a pair at the house. I still remember him playing some demo materials when I was quite young, including jet engines and old locomotives - you could have sworn they were in the room with you.

I think this was the only commercially-produced speaker for home use that had a 30" woofer :o . I can tell you first-hand that they could shake the house - and a couple neighbor's houses also... :)
    Main HT:JVC DLA-RS45135" Elite Screens fixed frame, 1.1 gainMarantz SR7007 (operating as pre-pro)Emotiva XPA-1 x3 (L+C+R), UPA-7 (surrounds)Oppo BDP-103D/BDP-83Toshiba HD-XA2Panamax M5410 Pro x3Polk LSiM707s, LSiC706, 80 F/X-LS, 65-RTSeaton Sound/MCCA MFW "Turbo" + custom Dayton SA1000 sub amp (orig. AV123 MFW-15)Velodyne SMS-1I/Cs: MP 12ga/4-cond (fronts); MP 12ga (surrounds), MP HDMI (all sources), some BJC sprinkled thruoutHarmony EliteSalamander Triple 40 C/B* still need to sell older but mint gear!!
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2019
    mak99 wrote: »
    I grew up w/ EV speakers as my father worked for them back in the 60s. He was part of the design team for the Patrician series, and still has a pair at the house. I still remember him playing some demo materials when I was quite young, including jet engines and old locomotives - you could have sworn they were in the room with you.

I think this was the only commercially-produced speaker for home use that had a 30" woofer :o . I can tell you first-hand that they could shake the house - and a couple neighbor's houses also... :)

That's very cool!
    The Patricians (even the ones sans the 30 inch woofer) were really something.

As I am sure I've already said, I literally grew up with EV loudspeakers in my parents house (my father was a big fan from his broadcast days) and still am a big fanboy... even though, at this point, I prefer vintage Altec. :)

Someday I'll document my EV collection a little better... some of my photos (and some borrowed ones) are at https://flic.kr/s/aHsk1c3ndT

fsp9w861d6vy.png
    http://www.hifilit.com/Electro-Voice/117-16.jpg
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646

I find it interesting that in the image above, there are mouse holes near the top and the bottom of that speaker. Maybe Sylvester (The mouse with the musical ear) lived in that house.

cmn3w04r0qxj.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    Viking64 wrote: »

I find it interesting that in the image above, there are mouse holes near the top and the bottom of that speaker. Maybe Sylvester (The mouse with the musical ear) lived in that house.

cmn3w04r0qxj.jpg

I.
    Have.
    That.
    Book.

from my childhood :smiley:
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    We had a pair of the old EV-4's, EV-6's and those outdoor Pa type speakers the music caster but the one with the horn tweeter on one side.

Love the EV sound maybe more than anything.
  • K_M
    edited November 2019
    mak99 wrote: »

We have (from my grandfather) the big EV-6, but "only" an 18" woofer.

Really cool, it is an half inch of styrofoam, and can shake a house if turned up loud on deep bass.

Similar to the Patrician in it's original few configurations. I believe the 30" woofer came a bit later.

https://www.inner-magazines.com/audiophilia/electro-voice-patrician-800/
  • mhardy6647
    The EDS for the University-branded morph of the 30W is available from EV:
    https://www.electrovoice.com/binary/30W EDS.pdf

part of an earlier EV EDS from teh webs via google:

17q19szbbwpq.png
  • mak99
    mak99 Posts: 362
    ^^ Wow - nice to know there are others out there than know about EV! Definitely "the" speaker way back in the day - really enjoyed the room-filling sound they produced from very few watts. I had a used pair of Interface 3 (IIRC) back in the 80's via a coworker...but were sold long ago.

My father *might* have a set of NOS drivers for <unknown model> stored up in the attic, though who knows their shape as they are decades old. I'll have to ask him about this the next time I go visit.
    Main HT:JVC DLA-RS45135" Elite Screens fixed frame, 1.1 gainMarantz SR7007 (operating as pre-pro)Emotiva XPA-1 x3 (L+C+R), UPA-7 (surrounds)Oppo BDP-103D/BDP-83Toshiba HD-XA2Panamax M5410 Pro x3Polk LSiM707s, LSiC706, 80 F/X-LS, 65-RTSeaton Sound/MCCA MFW "Turbo" + custom Dayton SA1000 sub amp (orig. AV123 MFW-15)Velodyne SMS-1I/Cs: MP 12ga/4-cond (fronts); MP 12ga (surrounds), MP HDMI (all sources), some BJC sprinkled thruoutHarmony EliteSalamander Triple 40 C/B* still need to sell older but mint gear!!
  • mhardy6647
    They should be fine, as long as the local rodentia (if any... not castin' any aspersions, here! ;) ) haven't been snackin' on 'em.

• K_M
    They should be fine, as long as the local rodentia (if any... not castin' any aspersions, here! ;) ) haven't been snackin' on 'em.

Right, the surrounds were all cloth/paper and never foam