Polk SDA 1A and 2A or LSiM 707 comparison

Has anyone heard the 707’s and or can anyone compare them to the vintage polks? Which would you all prefer and why. I have vintage polk SDA 1A, SDA 2A and SDA-CRS and have yet to find another speaker that fits in or beats these speakers out at a reasonable price. Anyone’s input will be appreciated.

Comments

• While i haven't heard the lsims, i do have a pair from the previous generation of polk speakers. While they are very good they dont hold a candle to my 2bs. I have a feeling your going to have a hard time beating the sdas for a "reasonable" price. If you are looking to spends some money and havnt upgraded any of you sda. Then that is where i would look to get better sound. But that's just my 2 cents.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Joshwest90 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard the 707’s and or can anyone compare them to the vintage polks? Which would you all prefer and why. I have vintage polk SDA 1A, SDA 2A and SDA-CRS and have yet to find another speaker that fits in or beats these speakers out at a reasonable price. Anyone’s input will be appreciated.

I think you have your own answer.
    You may like the older ones better, no matter what.

I have not compared those exact two together, but in my opinion, the Lsi and Lsim line are in another league as far as clarity, and smooth sound.

Love the older Polk lines, and they still are great today, but just a less accurate and detailed sound overall.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    K_M wrote: »

I have not compared those exact two together, but in my opinion, the Lsi and Lsim line are in another league as far as clarity, and smooth sound.

Love the older Polk lines, and they still are great today, but just a less accurate and detailed sound overall.

I am not trying to start a fight here but when you comment like this, it makes me truly wonder if you have honestly ever heard some of the older SDAs after they have been fully and properly modded/updated.
    I have the LSiM705s and had/fully modded/updated the 2.3TLs *(I know they aren't the exact same but the titular speakers are similar in a lot of regards) and if I had the space, I would take the modded 2.3TLs every day and thrice on Sunday.

They out-performed the LSiMs in pretty much every category.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I don't know about the 1A's but the 2A's are gonna cost a ton to upgrade the capacitors.
  • Joshwest90 wrote: »

I currently have LSiM 707 front speakers in my home theater. I previously had SDS SRS fronts. The 707s, are, of course, a better timbre match to the LSiM 706c center, but I have a smaller sound stage in front with the 707s. I also prefer the look of smaller speakers in this room. If I had a dedicated home theater room, I would go back to using the SDA SRS as front speakers and a pair of SDA CRS+ speakers as dual center channel speakers.

For two channel music, I also have yet to find another speaker that beats [modified] SDAs at a reasonable price.

l1fy9qli04qd.jpg
    Current home theater front stage with LSiM 707 speakers.

1a2wvkc0rm9r.jpg
    Former home theater front stage with SDA SRS speakers.

My LSiM 707 and 703 reviews:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/182984/how-my-lsim-707s-sound-to-me-a-review

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/187536/my-new-lsim-703s
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • K_M
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    K_M wrote: »

I am not trying to start a fight here but when you comment like this, it makes me truly wonder if you have honestly ever heard some of the older SDAs after they have been fully and properly modded/updated.
    I have the LSiM705s and had/fully modded/updated the 2.3TLs *(I know they aren't the exact same but the titular speakers are similar in a lot of regards) and if I had the space, I would take the modded 2.3TLs every day and thrice on Sunday.

They out-performed the LSiMs in pretty much every category.

I have heard a few make similar comments as you.

I have heard several SDA Speakers, (modded and unmodded) and several monitor line and Rta line speakers. Including the ones we own....

I still stand by what I say. The older Polks while great in their day, (forgetting about the SDA effect) were not truly bad in way, but simply feel they are somewhat lesser sounding in some key ways.

I know some love the older SDA's over anything, but I am more on the fence about them. Like a lot, but found newer stuff that is just "better" to me on vocals, and clarity and detail and imaging.

No two will agree about any speaker, and I get what you are saying. I think my tastes just evolved into wanting something "more" from the sound we got.

Not a bash on the old ones, but just think Polk did evolve their speakers.
  • K_M

I currently have LSiM 707 front speakers in my home theater. I previously had SDS SRS fronts. The 707s, are, of course, a better timbre match to the LSiM 706c center, but I have a smaller sound stage in front with the 707s. I also prefer the look of smaller speakers in this room. If I had a dedicated home theater room, I would go back to using the SDA SRS as front speakers and a pair of SDA CRS+ speakers as dual center channel speakers.

For two channel music, I also have yet to find another speaker that beats [modified] SDAs at a reasonable price.

l1fy9qli04qd.jpg
    Current home theater front stage with LSiM 707 speakers.

1a2wvkc0rm9r.jpg
    Former home theater front stage with SDA SRS speakers.

My LSiM 707 and 703 reviews:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/182984/how-my-lsim-707s-sound-to-me-a-review

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/187536/my-new-lsim-703s

I am not sure I get the point of doing 5.1 surround with the SDA effect also.

We found that lacks focus and works against a purpose made soundtrack that should sound source that are well focused.