SDA2 - Speakers Not Working

Hello all...I have a set of vintage SDA-2 speakers. The left channel is working fantastic. The right, not so much. The configuration is tweeter, 2 mid-range and then the "bass" speaker. The left mid-range speaker is the only speaker that is working. The right mid-range is dead as well as the tweeter. I purchased replacement speakers from Midwest Speaker, hooked them up and have very limited sound coming from the right mid-range and nothing from the tweeter.

Yes, the interconnect cable is connected and I have the balance control in the middle. Do I need to replace the circuit board where all the speakers are connected?

Best Answer

Answers

• Does the interconnect cable fit tightly in the socket? A loose connection could be a possibility.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • All connections, including the interconnect cable, are tight. Double checked all the connections before coming on here...but always good to ask... B)
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited October 2019
    SDA 2, with a single tweeter has to be SDA 2A or 2B. Third or fourth generation SDA.

The left midrange, on the right channel cabinet, is the stereo driver. If the stereo driver works, and the tweeter doesn't, my FIRST suspect is a completely fried polyswitch. Beyond that, any wiring break including the potential for "open" capacitors could kill signal to the tweeter.

Look at the schematic, trace the tweeter circuit back to where it splits from the midrange, and include the ground side of the circuit, too.

The right midrange driver in the right channel cabinet is the SDA driver. It should also produce bass, based on the SDA inductor. If that driver is dead--no SDA, no bass--you need to trace the schematic and look for areas that would kill both the SDA and the bass signal. And again, don't forget about the ground side of the circuit.

You have tried that amplifier/receiver with a different pair of speakers, to assure it's a speaker problem not a cooked amplifier channel, or a cooked source channel, or a failed speaker cable or interconnect...right?
  • Hey Schurkey, thanks for the response. It is the SDA-2A's...None of the wiring shows any breaks whatsoever....I have retraced the tweeter wire where it splits for the midrange and on the ground side...all wires clean with good solid connections...I am suspecting that the crossover is fried. I am going to try that next. Thanks!
  • Couple of things that I have tried to resolve this: I changed out both the tweeter and the left mid range speaker. That did not work. Figured it was the crossover, bought and changed that out, did not resolve the issue. I'm kinda at my wits end here. Could the culprit be the interconnect cable itself? I have checked the connections at both speakers, both ends fit snugly and firmly. I have checked all connections to all speakers, to the crossover and to and from the amp. Even tried using a receiver to see if that was the issue but still the same issue. I have checked the interconnect cable for any tears or splits but there are no marks, splits or cuts in the entire 20' length. Can the cable just be bad? Thanks in advance!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Have tested the cable and other connections with a meter?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,261
    The left mid-range speaker is the only speaker that is working. The right mid-range is dead as well as the tweeter.
    Disconnect all cables from the back of the speaker. Connect a 1.5 volt battery between the + and - terminals on the back of the speaker momentarily (observing proper polarity of the battery). When you do that both mid-woofers should move forward. Do they? If they don't move, your amp or the cables isn't the problem. The problem is internal to that speaker.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • Ok gang, just want to say thank you for all of your support and I have found the issue. It's the actual Interconnect cable that connects the 2 speakers together that was the culprit.

jcezmsgan3t0.jpg

So now I need to either A.) purchase a new interconnect cable or B.) make my own.
    Attached is a photo of the ends. Looks to me it's just a standard RCA connector with the flat blade as the stabilizer.

If I end up making my own, can I just snip the old connector off and just use the same cable or just replace the whole cable.

Thanks in advance.
  • F1nut...you are a nut. Thanks for the info!
  • Say F1nut...there are a ton of Neutrik Connectors out there...which one specifically?
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    It's the actual Interconnect cable that connects the 2 speakers together that was the culprit.
    Apparently, you have multiple problems. The interconnect cable can not disable the tweeter.

If the SDA driver was completely dead, you have problems with the SDA inductor, too, because it should produce stereo bass along with the SDA signal.

• Well, the cable is bad and needs to be replaced so I am willing to give it a shot to make my own. I have replaced the tweeter as well as the mid-range, and installed a new crossover. I took these to a vintage speaker restoration person here in the Seattle area and he tested them both...with no interconnect cable in use, we got sound out of all speakers on both the left and right. Soon as we connected the interconnect cable, the tweeter and the one mid-range went out. He checked the cable and saw a split and recommended that I replace it. The one for my SDA2's, they are hard to find but indications that I can make it myself. So I am looking for the right materials to purchase to make my own.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Is the interconnect shorted? I would test the interconnect with a multimeter to make sure. Then cut it open / electrical tape it/ do anything you can to get it to continuity. Then retry it and make sure your speakers work. If they do upgrade the interconnect with audiophile grade wires.

If the old repaired / duct taped interconnect still doesn't work you have another problem. You can even rig a temporary interconnect with a couple of pieces of small gauge wire. Just stick them in the holes. It wouldn't sound perfect but your speakers should work.
  • I believe the cable is shorted...it was tested with a multimeter by the speaker expert I took them to. There is a split right at the end of where the molded connector is. Already tried to cover it with electrical tape but that didn't work. And once I clip the end off, I have no way of reconnecting as it is a molded connector. Which is why I am looking for the "recipe" to make my own interconnect cable.
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,261
    edited November 2019
    "Which is why I am looking for the "recipe" to make my own interconnect cable."

Get a piece of lamp cord long enough to span the distance between your speakers.
    Strip 1/2" of the installation off each end of the cord and twist the ends of the wire.
    Insert wire into the "pin" hole on the crossover connector.

See if the speakers work properly. If they do you can improve on your interconnect cable design latter. Right now your goal should be to see if the interconnect cable is the problem.
    Post edited by TennMan on
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • Thanks TennMan...I will give that a try and go from there.