SL-3000 vs RDO-198 tweeters

My SDA 2B TL speakers have the SL-3000 tweeters and they sound nice to me but I am curious how they compare to the RDO-198 tweeters.

Would the RDO-198s be an upgrade from the SL-3000s? How so?

Does Polk still sell the RDO-198s directly?

Would the RDO-198s be an easy install/drop-in replacement for the SL-3000s?

Thanks

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Drop in.

Sound is more refined.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,163
    F1nut wrote: »
    Drop in.

Sound is more refined.

Thanks.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    You're going to be asking yourself why you waited so long to do this upgrade.
  • F1nut
    pglbook wrote: »
    Drop in.

Sound is more refined.

Thanks.

You'll have to call them.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pglbook
    edited November 2019
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    You're going to be asking yourself why you waited so long to do this upgrade.

Thanks. I do not know why I did not think about this when I first got the SDA's about 6 years ago. I guess everything sounded so good to me that I did not think about upgrading the tweeters.

But I am glad that I can now make them sound even better with the RDO-198s.

Thanks again.

• Please give us your impressions when u get them.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    I've said this before & I stand by it. When i 1st got the RTA15tl with stock sl3000 tweets I wasted no time ordering rd0198 tweets. I didnt know if I was going to notice a difference. Went by others here advice. When they got here I popped only 1 in. Turned the reciever on. Wow. Very noticable difference. Shut it off quick & put the other in. Very impressed. I think you will enjoy them.
    Randy/Maine
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,262
    edited November 2019
    My SDA 2B TL speakers have the SL-3000 tweeters and they sound nice to me but I am curious how they compare to the RDO-198 tweeters.
    Was using the SL-3000 to do a 2B TL mod a result of doing the mod before the RDO-198s were available? Or maybe because you already had the SL-3000 on hand? Just curious because this is the first time I remember someone saying they had 2BTLs with SL-3000s installed. I just assumed everyone used 198s when they did the TL mod on 2Bs.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • pglbook
    TennMan wrote: »
    Was using the SL-3000 to do a 2B TL mod a result of doing the mod before the RDO-198s were available? Or maybe because you already had the SL-3000 on hand? Just curious because this is the first time I remember someone saying they had 2BTLs with SL-3000s installed. I just assumed everyone used 198s when they did the TL mod on 2Bs.

Thanks. The PF member I bought them from - bluecomet - had the SL 3000s installed in them and I just kept them as is after I bought them from him. They sounded great to me and I did not think about changing anything. At least I did not know any better at the time...until recently learning about the RDO-198 upgrade.
  • pitdogg2
    well that begs the question as to whether or not the XO has been updated to use them correctly?
  • pglbook
    edited November 2019
    well that begs the question as to whether or not the XO has been updated to use them correctly?

Bluecomet - the PF member who I bought them from - told me that all of the TL upgrades had been done and I trust him. I think he may have just preferred the SL-3000 tweeters (or perhaps the 198s were not available at the time he did the TL upgrade). I guess I'll have to ask him why he did not install RDO-198s but I have not seen him post on the forum in a very long time.

Thanks.

• pitdogg2
    yep it has been a long time since he was on. I remember him well. I can tell you when I went from the SL3000 in my 2.3tl's to the RD-0198 I was flabbergasted at the difference. The 198's are so much smoother and the details are incredible without any sizzle or tizzyness. Get you some pronto.
  • pglbook
    edited November 2019

I just did a search on here and below is some info from Bluecomet's for sale post back in July/December 2012.He also messaged me that the crossovers and all other TL upgrades were done. I bought these from him in January 2013, driving over 6 hours r/t from Albany, NY, to Jessup, PA. Very nice guy and a great pair of speakers. Always trust a Polkie!

Thanks. Here are his comments:

(from July 2012)
    "I would like to keep these SDA2 tl'd speakers in the club. The speaker were tl'd by Ben. They have Larry's rings installed on them and you can see better pictures of what was done if you search Hamatym and look up SDA2 tl'd speakers. He has detailed pictures of the crossovers and the sonic caps and upgrades that were installed. I would never think of selling them if I didn't pick up my SRT sytem. $550.00 is a steal for what was put into them. They are plug and play. All of the hard work has been done to them. "

bluecometbluecomet

(from December 2012)
    "I am reviving this thread. The SDA 2 tl's are still for sale. They are in excellent condition. They have been completely modified and are plug and play. Save yourself time and money if you were thinking of going the tl route with these speakers. There are no cracks in the wood. These are one of the nicest SDA 2 speakers you will find. The price is $475.00"

• pglbook
    yep it has been a long time since he was on. I remember him well. I can tell you when I went from the SL3000 in my 2.3tl's to the RD-0198 I was flabbergasted at the difference. The 198's are so much smoother and the details are incredible without any sizzle or tizzyness. Get you some pronto.

Thanks. I will have to call Polk to see if they still sell the 198s directly.

• pitdogg2
    send me a pm and let me know. I may get some spares
  • pglbook
    wow, I did not know Polk customer support was so bad. I just called the 1-800 CS phone # and asked the Polk rep if I could get a pair of RDO-198 tweeters. He first had no idea what a tweeter was and then he put me on hold while he searched his computer. I waited for over 10 minutes and finally gave up as he said he was having trouble finding the part on his computer. I think is best to send an e-mail to Polk customer support.
  • pglbook
    send me a pm and let me know. I may get some spares

Thanks.

• pitdogg2
    correct part number is RD-0198, and yes it is very hit or miss there nowadays. I've always had the luck of being able to leave my number for them to call back as they can be overwhelmed with calls. Good luck on the email I've heard it can be worse and never answered.
  • pglbook
    correct part number is RD-0198, and yes it is very hit or miss there nowadays. I've always had the luck of being able to leave my number for them to call back as they can be overwhelmed with calls. Good luck on the email I've heard it can be worse and never answered.

Thanks. I told the rep the part # but he was pretty clueless.

I also sent you a pm.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Try calling Polk CS again - you will likely get someone else. If it is immediately apparent that you still have issues like that ask to speak to their supervisor. Mention that you are a Club Polk member of course and then advise the supervisor of the problem with the representative, as well as determine the availability of the 198's. In the past, I've had better success with phone calls than emails.
  • pglbook
    Good news. I called Polk CS back and got another rep and just placed an order for a new pair of RDO-198s so they are on their way and I should receive them in 5-7 days. And I also got a discount for being a Polk Forum member!

Thanks to all for the great info and advice. I will let you know my impressions of the 198s once I get them installed in my SDA 2B TLs.

I assume there will be a break-in period for the new tweeters?
    How long should that be?

Thanks again.

• pglbook
    More Polk CS drama. I just received an e-mail receipt from Polk and, although it lists the correct part # (RDO198-1), the description is wrong (description say "Sl2500 Sl3000 spare"). I hope they send me the right tweeters.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I would tend to believe it goes by part #
  • pglbook
    dromunds wrote: »

I was temped to call back and confirm but agree with you that it should be by part # so I will let it stand as is. But, just to be sure I receive the correct tweeters, will the new tweeters say "RDO-198" on them (or anything else to identify them as such)?

Thanks.

Polk CS really needs to improve...this was a little too much work and drama for a simple order of a pair of tweeters.

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited November 2019
    dromunds wrote: »

I was temped to call back and confirm but agree with you that it should be by part # so I will let it stand as is. But, just to be sure I receive the correct tweeters, will the new tweeters say "RDO-198" on them (or anything else to identify them as such)?

Thanks.

Polk CS really needs to improve...this was a little too much work and drama for a simple order of a pair of tweeters.

This almost reads as comedy, (not knowing what a tweeter was.....) but realize your comments are sincere.
    Sad that C.S. has become a low point with Polk

My best wishes that everything arrives as described!
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627

We have the 198 part number tweeter in our larger Polks, but not doubting your comments, but remember reading somewhere how the SL3000 tweeter was meant to be Polk's ultimate ever tweeter somewhere.

Wonder what changed?
  • F1nut
    More Polk CS drama. I just received an e-mail receipt from Polk and, although it lists the correct part # (RDO198-1), the description is wrong (description say "Sl2500 Sl3000 spare"). I hope they send me the right tweeters.

You keep getting the part number wrong, which may be why the first CS rep couldn't find it. The part number is RD0198, that is RD zero one nine eight.

The description is 100% correct.

President of Club Polk

• pglbook wrote: »

But, just to be sure I receive the correct tweeters, will the new tweeters say "RDO-198" on them (or anything else to identify them as such)?

The tweeters will not be labelled. The larger tab is negative, smaller is positive. If both tabs are the same size that means they sent you the wrong tweeters.

SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • pglbook
    edited November 2019

You keep getting the part number wrong, which may be why the first CS rep couldn't find it. The part number is RD0198, that is RD zero one nine eight.

The description is 100% correct.

Jesse, thanks but I had the correct part # and told them RDO198. The first rep did not even know what a tweeter was and I had to explain it to him. I called back and the second rep had no problem finding it and placing my order.

I noted RDO198-1 in my prior post because that is how it is written on my e-mail receipt from Sound United LLC/Polk.

It is hard to defend Polk's CS when (1) the first rep did even not know what a tweeter was and could not find the part to allow me to order it and (2) when my email receipt lists "Sl2500 Sl3000 spare" as the description for a part # RDO198-1 tweeter. Other than that, CS was perfect, lol.