Options
2»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    It is RD0198 not RDO198.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,174
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Jesse: Thanks. Sorry, I must be typing O rather than 0 on here but I did tell (and spell out) for the Polk reps that it was: RD zero one nine eight.
  • pglbook
    Options
    pglbook wrote: »

But, just to be sure I receive the correct tweeters, will the new tweeters say "RDO-198" on them (or anything else to identify them as such)?

The tweeters will not be labelled. The larger tab is negative, smaller is positive. If both tabs are the same size that means they sent you the wrong tweeters.

Thanks!

• F1nut
    Options
    Jesse: Thanks. Sorry, I must be typing O rather than 0 on here but I did tell (and spell out) for the Polk reps that it was: RD zero one nine eight.

Good deal B)

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Options
    As a small FYI there is no real polk customer service anymore its all under Sound United (Sound Un-tied). Sometimes you will get a polk person. While the timing often sucks, I find it works best to spell out what you are interested in, and have someone call you back, or as mentioned ask to speak to a supervisor. Call backs often get you to the right area, or at least someone knowledgeable.

Sound United (SU) likely called the RD0198 a spare vs. replacement. Whoever it was didn't care or have the knowledge. It is a replacement for the SL2500 & SL3000, so sort of correct in the description.

On the positive side I did get a call back from a polk person over a month later when tweeters were back in stock.

On the negative side, SU originally sent me the wrong confirmation email for someone else's order when I didn't order anything because the tweeters were out of stock. Emails to and calls to SU went no where. I still got follow up emails about the other persons order.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    It is RD0198 not RDO198.

Wow! Learn something new everyday. Ever since I first heard about them I thought they were the RDletterO 194's and 198's. Thanks.

Luckily when you search for them you can either type a letter O or a zero and everything still shows up. Apparently Google and EBAY knows about this.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    Options
    I thought they were putting a sticker on the magnet or basket VS label.
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    Options
    More Polk CS drama. I just received an e-mail receipt from Polk and, although it lists the correct part # (RDO198-1), the description is wrong (description say "Sl2500 Sl3000 spare"). I hope they send me the right tweeters.

Isn't the RD-0198 the replacement for the SL2500 tweeter ?
    Randy/Maine
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    More Polk CS drama. I just received an e-mail receipt from Polk and, although it lists the correct part # (RDO198-1), the description is wrong (description say "Sl2500 Sl3000 spare"). I hope they send me the right tweeters.

Isn't the RD-0198 the replacement for the SL2500 tweeter ?

Yes
  • pglbook
    edited November 2019
    Options
    hygkkrs011sl.jpg
    a1ehp5zdlnh4.jpg
    rw5s1so5tz0c.jpg

My replacement tweeters arrived today.
    After all of the confusion with the packing list desctiption stating "SL2500 SL3000 spare" but the part # stating" RD0198," I took some pics of one of the new tweeters and would appreiate it if someone could let me know if these are correct RD0198 replacement tweeters.
    There are no markings at all on the tweeters showing the model # and the outward appearance looks similar to the SL3000s, iirc.
    I just want to make sure Sound United shipped me the correct RD0198 tweeters.

Thanks.

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Small tab, large tab, silk-like dome, Phillips screws and no sound absorption around the dome. Don't look like the SL-3000. Yes, it is the correct replacement tweeter. My SL-3000's before I replaced them with the 198.vegdg69f5wxf.jpg

....edit to add, the mounting plates on the 198 don't fit the same as the original 3000's but do mate fine. No worries. Some folks place a small washer between the plate and cabinet for the respective screws to keep from bowing the corners of the plate. Don't over tighten.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • pglbook
    edited November 2019
    Options
    JayCee wrote: »
    Small tab, large tab, silk-like dome, Phillips screws and no sound absorption around the dome. Don't look like the SL-3000. Yes, it is the correct replacement tweeter. My SL-3000's before I replaced them with the 198.vegdg69f5wxf.jpg

....edit to add, the mounting plates on the 198 don't fit the same as the original 3000's but do mate fine. No worries. Some folks place a small washer between the plate and cabinet for the respective screws to keep from bowing the corners of the plate. Don't over tighten.

Thanks for confirming I received the correct RD0198s. I appreciate it.
    I cannot wait to pop these in and hear the difference. Unfortunately, it will have to wait until after the Thanksgiving holiday but I should be able to it this weekend.
    Is it a simple install? Unscrew old tweeters, disconnect wires, attach wires to new tweeters, and screw new tweeters in? Hope so.
    Thanks again.

• JayCee
    Options
    Is it a simple install? Unscrew old tweeters, disconnect wires, attach wires to new tweeters, and screw new tweeters in?
    Yes.
    I cannot wait to pop these in and hear the difference.
    I'll be shocked if you don't like them.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • mn_polk_guy
    Options
    Do the washers behind the screw holes on the new tweeters forsure. They seat so much better with them.
    Monitor 4.6, 5jr, 5, 7, 10, 11. RTA 8TL. RTA 11T. SDA 2B.
  • pglbook
    edited November 2019
    Options
    ....the mounting plates on the 198 don't fit the same as the original 3000's but do mate fine. No worries. Some folks place a small washer between the plate and cabinet for the respective screws to keep from bowing the corners of the plate. Don't over tighten.

Do the washers behind the screw holes on the new tweeters forsure. They seat so much better with them.

Thanks.
    The RD0198s won't fit flush after I remove the SL3000s?
    What size washers would be best? metal washer? perhaps rubber washer would be best?

• pitdogg2
    edited November 2019
    Options
    ....the mounting plates on the 198 don't fit the same as the original 3000's but do mate fine. No worries. Some folks place a small washer between the plate and cabinet for the respective screws to keep from bowing the corners of the plate. Don't over tighten.

Thanks.
    The RD0198s won't fit flush after I remove the SL3000s?
    What size washers would be best? metal washer? perhaps rubber washer would be best?

I believe it is a M8 or 8mm, Mine fit just like the old SL 3000's in my 2.3tl's. I didn't find the need to use washers. The washers to my knowledge was used more for the RD-0194's as there was some buzzing they were trying to eliminate. I think in the end it was just a bad batch of 194's Washer can't hurt but no need to get twisted over it
  • JayCee
    edited November 2019
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Washer can't hurt but no need to get twisted over it
    Agree with Pitdogg...it bothers some folks but does not affect the sound. I just ran my finger around one of the tweeters in my 1.2tl's & 3.1tl's (198's) and the corners, at the screw points, are slightly indented vs. original. The side of the plate sits a bit proud of the speaker face and did not happen w/the 3000's. Unlike the MW's and wanting the tightest mate w/the cabinet, the tweeter only needs to be secured and gasket tight enough to do it's job. I replaced my 1.2 tweets around 2010 and have never inserted washers.
    Snapped this pic for reference. Slight shadow around the plate is the lip of the tweeter plate. Hard to see the bow of the corner and is the same for all 10 tweeters. Only SRS I haven't owned is the 2.3, so can't say why it's different.z50tgkwj1rme.jpg
    Post edited by JayCee on
  • F1nut
    Options
    #10 stainless steel washer.

President of Club Polk

• taylormark
    Options
    I am curious how much Polk is charging for the 198’s ?
    I see Midwest speakers are selling the 198’s on eBay for $74 with shipping.

Considering the recent problems with customer service, might be worth the extra money, I only need 3.

Midwest claims to be authorized dealers, does any one know if this is true ?
  • pitdogg2
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Midwest is authorized, I'd call Polk CS tell them you're a member here and pay 48.00 and free shipping.
    Normal price from Polk is 60.00 + shipping.
  • F1nut
    Options
    taylormark wrote: »
    I am curious how much Polk is charging for the 198’s ?
    I see Midwest speakers are selling the 198’s on eBay for $74 with shipping.

Considering the recent problems with customer service, might be worth the extra money, I only need 3.

Midwest claims to be authorized dealers, does any one know if this is true ?

Why are you looking at eBay when you can buy them directly from Midwest???

https://www.midwestspeakerrepair.com/shop/home-audio/tweeters/polk-audio-1-tweeters/polk-audio-sl2500-sl3000-1-inch-dome-tweeter/

President of Club Polk

• taylormark
    Options
    Ok will give it a try, I see Midwest is $58 on their web site plus shipping, so $40 savings is cool, will report back how it goes with customer service
    Thanks