Polk S10 (old model) question

I found a pair of S10 speakers (90s model) for $120 a pair. They have the black dome tweeter instead of the trilaminate. I assume a running model change or revision. Question is how did the black dome tweet sound compared to the trilaminate?

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Not worth $120 no way. Black dome tweeter is smooth but not as much detail as the tri lam dome tweeter. I prefer the latter fwiw...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    According to the schematics, the S10 used the SL-5000 dome tweeter and there is also an S10 SE listed that used the SL-6000 which I think was a tri-laminate. Other differences are the SE used the MW8000 mid-woofer vs the S10 SE used the MW8101 and the XO differs a little with different inductors for the mid-woofers.

I have never seen the S10 SE version and wonder if it ever went into production. I know the engineer (initials ZSP on the schematic) who designed the S series. I'll ask him next time I see him. He did tell me that the sweet spot of that line was the S6 and S8. The S10 was for "mucho bass".

This is probably the most under rated of all Polk speakers. I have the S8 and they are very pleasant and comparable to the vintage Monitor (between M5 and M7), perhaps a little more refined. They don't have the build quality of the Monitors. I got mine for free because one tweeter was not working. I found the magnet popped off and was sitting inside the cabinet. I snapped it in place and it was good to go.

I'd say $140 is over priced.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Hmm so the tweeter isn’t like this one?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,969
    The problem with the s series is the cabinets. They are not exactly.... Stout
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Well I had to buy them, paid $100. They are in really good condition. Worst case scenario Figure I can turn around and sell them. I had the ls50’s which I loved don’t know if these come close.
  • No regrets, little tlc and they look like new. Yeah I wouldn’t say the cabinets are the sturdiest Polk has ever made, but they are fun to listen to, classic Polk sound. Highs just a bit rolled off as compared to their trilaminate tweeter, definitely plenty of bass with the passive radiator, but doesn’t mask the midrange. Now I’d like to find a pair of ls50 in the same condition.
    0kcl95zo1d53.jpeg
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    I attached a little reading material for your enjoyment.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    Hyme2019 wrote: »
    No regrets, little tlc and they look like new. Yeah I wouldn’t say the cabinets are the sturdiest Polk has ever made, but they are fun to listen to, classic Polk sound. Highs just a bit rolled off as compared to their trilaminate tweeter, definitely plenty of bass with the passive radiator, but doesn’t mask the midrange. Now I’d like to find a pair of ls50 in the same condition.
    0kcl95zo1d53.jpeg

Where are you located? Looking to thin the herd. Have some mint LS50's I might let go.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited November 2019
    Is that the Genesis Mini and a NES Mini that I spy?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited November 2019
    How do these speakers compare listening-wise with an early Monitor 7 (I have 7B's from 1979)? The size of the cabinet and weight of the speaker is somewhat comparable. The brochure the audio store gave me (see below) gives a frequency response of 33Hz to 20.5kHz +/-2dB, which I always thought was extraordinary! I notice that in the brochure they say system resonance of 30 Hz, which goes down to 20 Hz for the Model 10, which weighs 50 lbs vs 36 lbs. for the 7. Just bringing that up because perhaps cabinet damping may be in order for the 7's. Sorry not trying to hijack your thread just curious about how new stacks up to old.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Nightfall wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »

It sure is nightfall I’ve got em all. Lol
  • Hyme2019 wrote: »
    No regrets, little tlc and they look like new. Yeah I wouldn’t say the cabinets are the sturdiest Polk has ever made, but they are fun to listen to, classic Polk sound. Highs just a bit rolled off as compared to their trilaminate tweeter, definitely plenty of bass with the passive radiator, but doesn’t mask the midrange. Now I’d like to find a pair of ls50 in the same condition.
    0kcl95zo1d53.jpeg

Where are you located? Looking to thin the herd. Have some mint LS50's I might let go.

Minnesota and you?
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042

If you collect original cartridges I've got a ton I'm thinking about selling.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • How do these speakers compare listening-wise with an early Monitor 7 (I have 7B's from 1979)? The size of the cabinet and weight of the speaker is somewhat comparable. The brochure the audio store gave me (see below) gives a frequency response of 33Hz to 20.5kHz +/-2dB, which I always thought was extraordinary! I notice that in the brochure they say system resonance of 30 Hz, which goes down to 20 Hz for the Model 10, which weighs 50 lbs vs 36 lbs. for the 7. Just bringing that up because perhaps cabinet damping may be in order for the 7's. Sorry not trying to hijack your thread just curious about how new stacks up to old.

You know I was in my late teens when the Polk s10s came out so I really never had any experience with the old monitor series or SDA for that matter. I’ve certainly heard you guys talk highly of them. That being said being honest most speakers before the early 90s were god awful ugly in my opinion and yes I know speakers are for listening to not looking at lol.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    0kcl95zo1d53.jpeg

Minnesota and you?

WA. Shipping would probably kill the deal...
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    How do these speakers compare listening-wise with an early Monitor 7 (I have 7B's from 1979)? The size of the cabinet and weight of the speaker is somewhat comparable. The brochure the audio store gave me (see below) gives a frequency response of 33Hz to 20.5kHz +/-2dB, which I always thought was extraordinary! I notice that in the brochure they say system resonance of 30 Hz, which goes down to 20 Hz for the Model 10, which weighs 50 lbs vs 36 lbs. for the 7. Just bringing that up because perhaps cabinet damping may be in order for the 7's. Sorry not trying to hijack your thread just curious about how new stacks up to old.

Your 7B's are a much much better speaker than the S10. I was given a pair of minty S10's several years ago. Very bloated flabby bass imo. I ended up given them to a neighbor. The 7B with Peerless tweeters is a more refined speaker in every way,
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • crassmage
    crassmage Posts: 32
    edited November 2019
    quote="Nightfall;c-2548796"]

If you collect original cartridges I've got a ton I'm thinking about selling.[/quote]

I'm looking me and my son collect old games! I'm in MN 55912. Lemme know😁😉
  • jimC2
    jimC2 Posts: 29
    The crossover components tend to detach from the board because of the old glue and probably need to be secured with zip ties. I have 3 pair of the S10's and had to fix this on all of them. Pulling the passive radiator is the easiest way to get to the crossover. Also, they sound much better if you raise the tweeter to ear level. This improves the base also, seems to make it clearer and less boomy.