RT1000 amp problem

Hi all. I have an RT1000 (black drivers) that has a loud as all heck buzz/hum. The interesting thing with it is that the hum/buzz only hits when there is audio initially piped to the speaker (no lfe/sub input plugged in). So if the speaker is just plugged in, no problem. When audio starts give it about 3 seconds and the a floor shaking hmmmmmmmmm/bzzzz! The only way to stop it is to unplug the speaker. Is this a fix any mortal can handle? I don't know about caps/etc., but any given tutorial I can generally follow with ease. I know my RT55's and a sub would be a better bet, but after not playing them for many years and recently giving them a listen they both sound like their crossovers are shot. So the RT1000s first and then we'll move on to the 55's then the 12C.

TIA.

Comments

• maingey
    maingey Posts: 627
    was hoping for a little bit of love on this.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    maingey wrote: »
    Hi all. I have an RT1000 (black drivers) that has a loud as all heck buzz/hum. The interesting thing with it is that the hum/buzz only hits when there is audio initially piped to the speaker (no lfe/sub input plugged in). So if the speaker is just plugged in, no problem. When audio starts give it about 3 seconds and the a floor shaking hmmmmmmmmm/bzzzz! The only way to stop it is to unplug the speaker. Is this a fix any mortal can handle? I don't know about caps/etc., but any given tutorial I can generally follow with ease. I know my RT55's and a sub would be a better bet, but after not playing them for many years and recently giving them a listen they both sound like their crossovers are shot. So the RT1000s first and then we'll move on to the 55's then the 12C.

TIA.

Crossovers normally just don't go bad. Why do you think they are bad in the 55s?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • maingey
    Thanks for responding @rooftop59 .They don't sound right, generally muffled. They were college speakers and then did surround duty, but have sat in my basement unused for 10 years+-. I recently broke them out because I was bored with the B&W CM1 that I had and they sounded uneven/muffled. There was distinction in sound between them. So I put them back on the shelf for another day (I see there are mods to improve them). and moved over the the RT1000, which have the amp problem, which I'd like to focus on now (if not a lot of $$).
  • I am a bit late to the party but I recently had this same issue pop up in one of my RT1000i towers. After turning them on and piping signal in, one tower sounded like a garbage disposal. I pulled the plate out of the back, replaced the bad caps but I was still blowing fuses. Turns out the transformer was shorted. (Plugged it in with no load connected and the fuse still blew.) I am on the hunt for a new transformer since the original has no markings or model # on it.

Picked up another pair of RT1000i for $100 and repaired those sub amp boards no problem. Hope this helps!
    Life is too short to be indirect.
  • maingey
    thanks, @Outta_Ctrl seem like this is the way....