Career Choices...Mechanical Engineering?

Options
2»

Comments

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited June 2006
    Options
    AB,

You may want to look into manufacturing or industrial engineering as well as ME for the Automotive industry.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited June 2006
    Options
    The really cool jobs in Automotive aren't engineering jobs at all. They are automotive design jobs. The designers draw the vehicle and then work with engineering to "make it real". If you become an ME, you are more-or-less going to be a techno-nerd. What you really want to do is hook-up in the automotive world in a design/marketing role. Good luck.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Haha, I'm not a drawer. I'll just settle for being a test driver for some magazine like Top Gear. :D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • cbl117
    cbl117 Posts: 285
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Is it better to stay with one company for a long time or jump between companies every 2 or so years?
    2 Channel

Vandersteen 3a Sigs
    Music Reference RM-200
    Hovland HP-100
    VPI Scout w/ Benz Ace
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Cardas Golden Reference Speaker Cables
    Cardas Golden Reference Interconnects
    Cardas Golden Power Cords
    PS Audio UPC-200HB
    Black Diamond Racing Isolation
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2006
    Options
    HTrookie - You mean that in the jobs you've had since you've graduated you haven't used much of what you learned in college? That's a shock to me. I would have figured an engineer would have to rely on his specialized education everyday of his job.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Well, I guess that would depend on the kind of job you get; If you are into design, product development, etc you'll use some of the things you learned. I went a different path, and nothing I've done was in any book I saw through college. I did use my education to learn new things, and find my way through. As I mentioned, I think the best education you get is to use your brain :)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited June 2006
    Options
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Possibly, for undergrad we had to do 148 credits and no class counted as more than 3 so there were a lot of "others". In reality, the Econ/Bus BS fit the ME degree in as it had far more electives than the ME degree. For both undergrad degrees took 155 credits IIRC. I think I had to take 5-6 classes outside of engineering. What also helped is that Mines only does engineering so the first 2 years of any program looks the same. Making econ majors taking O-chem... How fun... Most people just did a public relations minor.

Anyway, I like poking GT grads with sticks. It's fun!

Are those quarter or semester hours?

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited June 2006
    Options
    One more thing; today the world moves thanks to computers, software, etc. People do their work around Windows, excel, powerpoint, visual basic, web based tools......

In my whole college time, I NEVER touched a computer; I did go through computer programming....but it was limited to filling some cards and hand them to the systems dept., who would then run it and give me the results (Fortran IV).

When I got my firts job, there were no such things as PC's....people moved around telex, wang word processors, etc. Everything was done in paper. Tons and tons of paper. And then we had this PC's revolution...the first time I got my hands on a keyboard I was 28:eek: :eek: Excel? No way; Lotus 123.

And I'm not that old...:) :)

Just thought it would be fair to mention this because it also contributed to the fact that I did not use much of my college learnings; computers and software started taking place of many of the things I learned in a different way. I lived that transition during the 80's. For you guys that are through college now, things have changed :)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited June 2006
    Options
    audiobliss wrote:
    HTrookie - You mean that in the jobs you've had since you've graduated you haven't used much of what you learned in college? That's a shock to me. I would have figured an engineer would have to rely on his specialized education everyday of his job.

Its been said for EE's that 10 years after you graduate most of what you learned in college is outdated and useless for your career. Of course the basics (physics, math, etc.) will always apply but technology advances very quickly and changes many engineering jobs. MechE's might not have it that bad, but I'm sure they are still affected.

I'd guess I "use" about 20-30% of what I learned in college on a day to day basis. Computers and technology offer such a high level of abstraction that real world engineering can be quite different from what you learn in school. But, the problem solving skills and basics are still important.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited June 2006
    Options
    cbl117 wrote:
    Is it better to stay with one company for a long time or jump between companies every 2 or so years?

As a hiring manager, I believe its OK as long as your transitions show a coherent path forward in the development of your career.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I-SIG wrote:
    Are those quarter or semester hours?

Wes

Semester. Average time to degree completion was at 4.73 years when I left.

Hbomb's comments are dead on. I don't think its expected for anyone to stay with the first company forever. In fact, IIRC, most engineers change jobs 2-5 years after graduation and average about a 30% raise. As long as each job change is in increase in responsibilities, changing jobs won't mean much as long as it isn't every 6 months or so.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Get to work engineer boy. :p
  • meledis
    Options
    Guys, I hope for a wonderful career and therefore I need to know how to evaluate, develop, organize and present my ideas and information. This process is called "writing." But I do not always have much free time to write these essays. I want someone to complete my written assignments now. I believe that using the services https://studymoose.com/ of such a service I can learn to write like a professional. I think I have a chance to make an important report that will hit my boss. Do you think this will work for me? Should I use such services or not?
  • krazypolk
    Options
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    krazypolk wrote: »
    Spam Alert!

Good catch! This caught my attention, obviously! :smile: Interesting read though, as I went through a similar process back in the day, without internet of course! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Electrical or Civil
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Electrical or Civil

BS in Aerospace, the MS in Mechanical! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.