opinions on CRS+ speakers: would they best my Monitor 10s and 7s?

I may have a chance to get a pair of CRS+ speakers (1986 version in nice condition), with original stands, for $250, and would appreciate people's impressions of the speakers and how they sound as I have never had, or heard, a pair of the CRS+ speakers.

I know it is probably a no brainer if I can get them at that price but my quandary is that I already have too many speakers (Monitor 10s, 7s, PSB Stratus) which I currently do not use due to space constraints and what I really would like to know is if the CRS+ would best my Monitor 10s and 7s as I can only keep one pair for a secondary system (I have SDA 2B TL's in my main system).

Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited October 2019
    Depends on how & what you listen to for music. If you like rock & like it loud & need lots of bass. I'd say stay with 10's. I'd hang on to the 2b's & put the money in upgrading them if you havent... Edit. I see TL'd. Opps
    Randy/Maine
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,163
    edited October 2019
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Depends on how & what you listen to for music. If you like rock & like it loud & need lots of bass. I'd say stay with 10's. I'd hang on to the 2b's & put the money in upgrading them if you havent... Edit. I see TL'd. Opps

Thanks, Boston. I mostly listen to rock and jazz music and occasionally some Latin music. I really like the Monitor 10s and 7s but, not having heard CRS+ speakers, I was wondering if they would be a big sonic upgrade over the Monitor speakers. Thanks again.

• boston1450
    Dont get me wrong. I've had 2/3 pair of 10's & 11 SDA1c & 2b. To compare the CRS+ to the 10 or 2b is a hard call. The 10's & 2b are great speakers & seem to do well with anything you throw at them. The CRS+ seem to lack some in areas where alot of people complain about bass. Especially where the PR is in rear. I enjoy mine very much but think there are other models that are better. I miss my 2b's
    Randy/Maine
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    would the 7's fit under the CRS+ ?? :#
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • boston1450
    Take a pair of 7's stock or upgraded the better, with 194 tweeters & hook em to a NAD 20watt amplifier that put NAD in biz & some clean speaker wire & I will say it will blow away your mind :smiley:
    Randy/Maine
  • pglbook
    I thought I'd get more feedback from CRS+ owners but, from the feedback I did get, I have decided to keep my Monitor 10s and 7s and pass on the CRS+ speakers. I already have too many speakers I am unable to use due to space limitations and it did not make sense to add another pair if it would not be a substantial improvement over my current "secondary system" speakers (Monitor 10s, 7s, PSB Stratus).

Thanks.
  • soupbone
    soupbone Posts: 104
    You can never have too many speakers. Since you already have some SDA's then you know what you would be missing out on in that system. The CRS+ have a wide soundstage but with the lack of some focus, the 10's are going to have a deep sound stage while not as wide with better focus. If you did decide to purchase I would make sure they are the PIN & BLADE version. I talked to Matt Polk a long time ago and he had a special place in his heart for that speaker. Hook those up to a nice sub or two and enjoy.
  • boston1450
    Thats a great deal. The CRS+ speakers are great speaker IMO. But when comparing with what you already have, that would be a tough decision only you can make
    Randy/Maine
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Not having any experience with the 10's or 7's (I need to get out more) the 4.1TL version of the CRS+'s is a VERY GOOD speaker. They output a lotta sound for their size, and the Dimensional Drivers are a big plus for that SDA Sound Stage.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    Not having any experience with the 10's or 7's (I need to get out more) the 4.1TL version of the CRS+'s is a VERY GOOD speaker. They output a lotta sound for their size, and the Dimensional Drivers are a big plus for that SDA Sound Stage.

I, also, haven't listened to the 10's or 7's (do have 5's and 5 Jr's) but absolutely agree. I have a pair of CRS+ 4.1tl's that've been rotated out for 3.1tl's. CRS's are locked away and won't be sold...keeping for "if I have to downsize big-time" SDA's when I'm forced into an old folk's home.

I have an Epik Empire sub (single box dual 15's) and it's a very good compliment that can be placed out of the way and makes the CRS's perform like a very big speaker. Used them in my home theater and the soundstage is incredible for the size. Add a dreadnaught and it's mo better. CRS's have a smaller "looking" footprint for the front of a room and easier, subjectively, for WAF...or at least mine.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    I accompany my CRS+'s with a pair of Rythmik F8 Subs. With everything dialed in, they sound damn good. As a testament to that, my wife even stated "Those little speakers sure put out a lot of sound for their size" Now that is saying something :D
  • pglbook
    edited October 2019
    soupbone wrote: »
    You can never have too many speakers....

I disagree...I currently have 4 pair of speakers (two pair of Monitor 10s, and a pair of Monitor 7s and PSB Stratus speakers) which are currently just gathering dust and stored away in my shop because I do not have any room for them. I collected different speakers in the past (Dahlquist DQ 10s, Polks, PSB, etc.) - and I perfectly understand doing that; it is a very important part of the learning experience to hear different sounds - but it makes no sense to have a collection of speakers not being used. I thought about getting the CRS+ because I know it is a great deal...but my rational side (fortunately I do not use that side too often, ha) tells me that that is not a good enough reason to get the CRS+ when I know that they too will just be put in my "speaker graveyard" in the near future. I really like the Monitor 10s and 7s and will keep those 2 pair of speakers. I will try to sell off the other Monitor 10s and the PSB Stratus speakers (I actually have the PSB Stratus speakers for sale at a great price in the Flea Market but it is local pickup only so it limits potential Buyers).

Thanks for all of your feedback!

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    you could always buy the CRS+ and throw the drivers in on of the Monitor 10's or get rid of a 10 to keep the CRS+
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I'd dump the 10's regardless of buying the CRS+.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• soupbone
    soupbone Posts: 104
    Speaking of adding subs. I had a pair of 1.2TL's with a Vanderteen 2W subwoofer...crossed over at about 80. The midrange was never sweeter. The sub just disappeared like a good sub should. I thought is was broken actually. You could not hear a thing from the sub, just sweet sweet midrange.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    That's a good price and with the OEM stands, you shouldn't have any issues reselling them should you not like them
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • pglbook
    F1nut wrote: »
    I'd dump the 10's regardless of buying the CRS+.

Jesse, I'm curious why you do not like the Monitor 10s. I really like the 10s and 7s myself and will always keep a pair of each.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Lobing and comb filtering issues.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    ^ This ^

The 7's are sweeeeeet!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pglbook
    edited November 2019
    Nightfall wrote: »
    ^ This ^

The 7's are sweeeeeet!!!

Thanks. I think the 7s do have a more balanced sound overall than the 10s, but both the 7s and 10s sound great to me matched with my vintage Yamaha CR 2020 receiver.

Thanks again,

Peter
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited November 2019
    I found the Rta11t's the best of the non huge Polks from that era.

Nothing else with 2 woofers beat them.
    They simply had better deep bass.
    Compared to anything In the monitor line, and the SDA CRS.
  • K_M
    pglbook wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »
    ^ This ^

The 7's are sweeeeeet!!!

Thanks. I think the 7s do have a more balanced sound overall than the 10s, but both the 7s and 10s sound great to me matched with my vintage Yamaha CR 2020 receiver.

Thanks again,

Peter

Totally agree. I Found the 7's to be the baby brother of the RTA11t's in a way. Balanced and fairly good deep bass.
  • pglbook
    K_M wrote: »

Thanks, K_M. I did not know that about the Rta11t's and have never heard them but I definitely would like to get my ears upon a pair some day after such high praise.

Thanks again.

• K_M
    edited November 2019
    pglbook wrote: »
    K_M wrote: »

Thanks, K_M. I did not know that about the Rta11t's and have never heard them but I definitely would like to get my ears upon a pair some day after such high praise.

Thanks again.

Yeah, I really like them. Do not expect a miracle, but having heard them side by side with several other Polk models from the same time, they seemed to have a "Bit" more clarity, (maybe due to the driver configuration or narrow cabinet) and for sure a bit deeper bass.

Not on all music, but a few select tracks with some really deep bass, they simply went deeper than the M10 For sure.

The smaller Rta8's were quite decent also, but rolled off more in the deep bass, due to a smaller cabinet and higher box tuning.

The Rta15, not sure why, but although It went loud and deep well, I simply liked the Rta 11 a bit more. To me the sweet spot in their smaller towers.
  • boston1450
    The RTA15tl require a fair amount of space where the passive is in the rear. I have mine set up 16inches from rear wall. With nothing beside them within 2 foot of any side wall or obstacles. I find the 15's to be finicky when it comes to what you power them with to get the best from them.
    Randy/Maine
  • pglbook
    I have been reading up on the RTA11t's - mostly old posts on this forum but also a few posts on some other online audio forums - and it seems that the nomenclature is a bit confusing. If I understand correctly, the RTA 11t's are the same as the Monitor 11ts (Polk changed the name from Monitor 11t to RTA 11t after 1st generation). There is also a RTA 11tl model. and, to make things even more confusing, there is also a Monitor 11 speaker, which is sort of a bigger version of the Monitor 10.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    The RTA 11's and 15's are not true Real Time Array speakers like the RTA12. The monitor 11 is what the monitor 10 should have been since they fixed the comb and lobing issues. RTA xx t just stood for tower I believe. When they brought out those speakers with the tri-laminate SL3000 tweeter the tl stood for tri-laminate.

Clear as mud